Singing Question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
Here's a question for the more informed fellow believers: having been in Pentecostal churches my entire time as a Christian, I've been surrounded by people who, during singing, often become loud and emotional. I, on the other hand, become neither loud nor emotional. This has led me to feel like "I'm doing it wrong." At revivals and other events the worship leaders often push the need for worship to be an emotional, experiential event. Here's my question: if I don't feel anything - joy, gratitude, awe, shame, etc. - should I still sing? Would that still be an act of honor to God? Or am I just noise?

Basically, I'd just like a simple yes or no answer. I don't need a long, complex theological explanation - that would confuse me more than anything else. Please refrain from denomination bashing. I only mention Pentecostalism to provide a frame for my question.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Here's a question for the more informed fellow believers: having been in Pentecostal churches my entire time as a Christian, I've been surrounded by people who, during singing, often become loud and emotional. I, on the other hand, become neither loud nor emotional. This has led me to feel like "I'm doing it wrong." At revivals and other events the worship leaders often push the need for worship to be an emotional, experiential event. Here's my question: if I don't feel anything - joy, gratitude, awe, shame, etc. - should I still sing? Would that still be an act of honor to God? Or am I just noise?

Basically, I'd just like a simple yes or no answer. I don't need a long, complex theological explanation - that would confuse me more than anything else. Please refrain from denomination bashing. I only mention Pentecostalism to provide a frame for my question.
~Insert long, complex, theological explanation here~

Okay, I'll make this as short as possible. I never like singing in church. I feel a stunning lack of emotion... which is a stark contrast to how I feel when I sing or play music to God while I'm alone.

I'd try singing when you're alone, while trying to focus on Jesus. If it's still not fitting, I'd suggest this:

Ask God to give you a heart for whatever way He wants you to worship... maybe you're just not a singer, and you should just give thanks instead. People are different.

P.S. I BASH your denomination! There. I said it. :rolleyes:

P

prophecyman

Since you require a simple answer, I will answer.

Let all that have breath praise the Lord... just keep doing whats pleasing to the Lord.