Singleness & Your Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

How does your faith help you deal with situations you face as a single person? Do you think it's easier or more difficult to be a single christian than a single unbeliever? What are the benefits/difficulties?

D

DiscipleWilliam

How does your faith help you deal with situations you face as a single person? Do you think it's easier or more difficult to be a single christian than a single unbeliever? What are the benefits/difficulties?
More difficult for sure! As a single unbeliver you have more options because you don't really care if a person is "saved" or not (although there are some exceptions). As a Christian you must select someone who is also a Christian, and furthermore, someone whose beliefs align with yours. This is just the first step lol ;) Being a single Christian sucks sometimes because you are constantly surrounded with married couples and can feel like a 3rd wheel sometimes. Sometimes people can assume that because your single somethings wrong with you. Sometimes you can see them trying to figure out what it is, "Is he/she gay, crazy, a player, lazy, disease (STD) etc." Single people have it rough. With me being recently single it feels weird, I don't really like it but its all good though. Just gotta keep it movin' and not dwell on the "singleness" if there is such a word. You can't let it get to you and start thinking that it IS you, unless it IS you. At the end of the day we are never truly alone as long as God is with us :)

Last edited:
M

Matthew

In terms of dating it's much more difficult because I have higher standards than the average person, I realise how conceited that sounds but it is a fact none the less. There is also a greater expectation to meet, simply put most Christians have a checklist and it tends to count out masses of other Christians.

In terms of day to day to life I find it gives a lot more than it takes, it is a great support to have in the face of many a depressing situation, that is the benefit, knowing there is something above and beyond the trivialities of daily life, without faith they easily lead into depression that manifests in a number of ways.

I think it's much harder to be a single unbeliever, I say that because it was for me, faith is tested which can be extremely difficult, but to not have it at all results in, well, what you see everyday, and that is a harder life because it is a more desperate life.

All tragedy is born out of desperation of one kind or another, to feel, to fight, to be loved.

Last edited:
F

floshad

i think its really really difficult to be a single believer than a single unbeliever, its a fight that i do everyday

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I was a single unbeliever and its definitely harder when you are a serious christian because you have to find someone who won't mind putting off sex til marriage. Sex is a big reason to be in a relationship for a lot of secular people. When I was growing up its all we ever talked about with friends (who do you like? Have you ever done this or done that? How often do couples do it? Etc..). Now as a christian, its all strictly platonic. Can't even talk that way about it.

jandian

Feb 12, 2011
For as long as I am single; I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.
I've been fortunate to have discussions with people both single and married; christian and non-Christan .....as it turns out, each have their burden to bare....the grass always looks greener. But in talking to a lot of married women, while they like and enjoy their marriage, their are things about being single they miss.
So, while I look forward to the day, I can look into someone's eyes and be all bubbly; I remind myself of my sisters who could do with a little single time now...and I say to myself "Thank you Jesus for this season"