singles ministries

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

I noticed on the Gender Gap Poll that apparently the individuals who have singles ministries available to them are taking advantage of such ministries, as the numbers equal out. There isn’t one at my church. I don’t know if I would be involved if they did. Not sure.

How do you view singles ministries? What purpose do they serve? Do you think people use them as a place to grow/learn from other Christian singles? Do you think they view them as dating pools?

Having been out of the game for so long, I began reading this forum thinking it would be helpful to pick the brains of other single people, just in case (as allforfun says J) I was “doing it wrong”. I’ve learned a lot and I want to thank you.

I would think a singles ministry would be similarly helpful. I don’t know whether I would be comfortable viewing it (or even this forum) as a dating pool. You can make amazing friends, but if you date one of them and it doesn’t work out, what then? You stand the risk of losing a good friend and things become…awkward. L Does that happen in singles ministries too?

What are your thoughts?

A

allforfun

Thanks for the mention. I think.

I don't think I would utilize it. I have mentioned before, I live in a small town and attend a small church. I would say 80 percent of the church is married with the other 20% of the church is young. Like 19 and younger young. So singles isn't even on the radar. You mentioned awkward and I can see that especially being the case because people pick sides, it is human nature. I wouldn't want to be the one who pitted the Bible study against each other. I would much rather bring someone in the fold than date someone in the fold.

What I do see as fun and maybe this would be labeled as ministry but I don't see it as that, is a get together of once a month with pot-luck at the church, white elephant gift giving at Christmas and a birthday card exchange list. Those can often be the things that get ignored when single and could really go a long way in encouraging people without being a "romantic entanglement".

And if I have ever implied that anyone was doing it wrong, I apologize. I'm not really as grouchy as I come off sometimes.

J

Jullianna

No! no! no! You didn't imply that anyone was doing it wrong. :) I just really enjoyed your thread and it's been in my head :)

Pheonix

Jan 17, 2007
I'm afraid I don't even know what a singles ministry is. I've never even heard of them. So by all means, could someone fill in my ignorance please?

T

thimsrebma

I belong to the singles ministry at my church. Basically its like any other group. You typically have the seniors, youth, teens, young adults, and then there are the singles.

I joined because I thought it would give me something to do and people to hang out with. We talk about all sorts of stuff just like we do in this forum. But in my church the men do not participate. It would be nice if they did.

Ithink if you have a very large church it could be looked at almost like a dating service. LOL. Because you would have so many people there you may have never met before and your future mate could be in that pool of people.

But in small or midsize churches it would be just to hang out and fellowship with people in similar situations as yourself. In my group there are only 4 of us who are active. I am the youngest and have never been married, 2 of the ladies are in their 40's with children and are divorced and the 4th lady is 63 and has never been married. Though we all have single life in common we do have different situations and can offer comfort and advice to each other.

A

Aqua_Girl09

My church is really small. . . . .like we might have 30 members in the whole church small(including the kids) . . . . so no singles ministry. just adults, youth, and children. youth is like 14 to not married. >_<

BUT if we DID have a singles ministry then i would go. and i'm sure there are plenty of things to learn from each other but why not look for a future husband or wife there. there its easier to see who is seriously in love with God and who is there just looking for fun. and i know theres worries of messing of a friendship but if you let that hold you back every time then you'll never get anywhere.

so using it as a fun and God filled dating service. yeah i would.