Sleep Aides

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

igivethanks

Does anyone know of any good natural sleep aides that I could possibly use to help me sleep better? I work nights at a hotel, and many days I have trouble sleeping. I have tried perscription sleep aides, and they work great, but, because of the risk of me becoming dependant on them, I'm only allowed 2 30 refills per year.

I have also tried many over the counter products such as Simply Sleep and Unisom, but because sleep aides are narcotics, my body usually doesn't react well to them at first, and I end up taking extra time falling asleep instead.

I have tried Peppermint and Sleepy time tea before bd, and while it helps me relax, it doesn't fully put me to sleep.

I also had problems with waking up multiple times during the day. I am afraid I have sleep APnea like my father, but sort of paying for a sleep study, I don't think there is a way to tell.

I use a black eye mask, ear plugs and nasal strips all to help me sleep easier, and listen to soft music when I go to bed. Lots of ocean sounds, fultes, rainstorms and gentle piano music, but I still ed up taking sometimes an hour or more to finally fall asleep most days.

If you have any suggestions, it ouwl dbe greatly appreciated.
For me i found out that home cooked natural beans make me sleep. I also drink lots of water. Give it a try. You can boil the beans in large quantity since it takes time, put in small containers and freeze. Or keep in the fridge for about a week.

I am not amedical doctor, but this is what i do---i love beans. Then i observed when i became an adult that, wao!! this food called beans actually makes me sleep. And beans have a lot of fibre.

Sometimesi just boil the beans, blend, and drink it.

Meditate on Psalm 3 vs 5 and Psalm 4 vs 8

May God be with you.

X

xspinningisfun

I struggle with insomnia and I have become toooo dependent on sleeping pills. I am addicted and it's really really bad. So I'm trying not to take any. My doctor did give me a sleeping aid, it's a natural herb. It didn't help me, but I can go to him and ask the name of it and then I can come back on here and give it to you. :]

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Alayna, another good sleep aid is magniesium. Many natural stores now carry an exellent combination of all the suggested items (except mar.) . My dh and three of my children have sleep apnea and I battle the brain never sleeps issue. If you think you have sleep apne do get an eval. as soon as you are able. It will lead to other health issues over time and being treated can help you avoid this. I have been taking the natural combo for about a month now andhave found it to be very affective. Also I have always ended my day talking to the Lord about all that is going on in my life, he is a great listener and always helps me to sleep. Good luck hun and God bless, pickles

X

xspinningisfun

What exactly is sleep apnea?

AlaynaJ

Staff member
Dec 15, 1999
Spinning, Sleep Apnea is a condition where the part of the brain that control your natural breathing while you sleep malfunctions, and you stop breathing entirely in your sleep. For most people, this automatically wakes them up, where they resume breathing normally. This causes them to wake up many, many times during the night, ruining their natural sleep rythm, and makes it difficult for them to get a full ngiths restful sleep.

The reccommended cure for this is to sleep with a breathing machine and a oxygen mask over your face while you sleep. As the mask releases air, it forces you to continue breathing with you sleep.

They find out if you have it through a sleep study where the monitor you in your sleep, and have all sorts of wires and such hooked up to you. Unfortunately, like many medical studies, it is a very expensive procedure to have done, as well as the machine costing quite a bit itself. My father hs the machine, but he has very good insurance through his company that helps with the costs.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Analya, I will keep you in my prayers that you will be able to get the study and a c-pap. God bless, pickles

X

xspinningisfun

Spinning, Sleep Apnea is a condition where the part of the brain that control your natural breathing while you sleep malfunctions, and you stop breathing entirely in your sleep. For most people, this automatically wakes them up, where they resume breathing normally. This causes them to wake up many, many times during the night, ruining their natural sleep rythm, and makes it difficult for them to get a full ngiths restful sleep.

The reccommended cure for this is to sleep with a breathing machine and a oxygen mask over your face while you sleep. As the mask releases air, it forces you to continue breathing with you sleep.

They find out if you have it through a sleep study where the monitor you in your sleep, and have all sorts of wires and such hooked up to you. Unfortunately, like many medical studies, it is a very expensive procedure to have done, as well as the machine costing quite a bit itself. My father hs the machine, but he has very good insurance through his company that helps with the costs.
Oh, now I'm all paranoid. hah. Because I wake up numerous times during the night and it really does ruin my sleep rhythm. :/

AlaynaJ

Staff member
Dec 15, 1999
Well, I hope that is not what you have, Spinning, just as I hope it's not what I have. I don't know if it's genetic or not, but if it is, I'm much more likely to have it because of my father.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions so far. I have been looking into some of the things you have all mentioned, minus the beans (Sorrie, I just can't stand beans in general) and the illegal substance.

AlaynaJ

Staff member
Dec 15, 1999
Lol. I just realized that I started to write about checking into the things you have all suggested, and then forgot to write anything else about how it's been going!!!

Well, so far I actually havn't purchased any of your suggestions. I have them all written down, and hope to get the chance to go to Wal-mart and our local heath food/herbal supplement store within the next few days.

This past weekend I suffered a very serious migraine, which completely exhausted me, and made it so I ended up sleeping for all of Friday, Friday night (which I had off from the hotel) and nearly all day Saturday, and I was still tired, so after working on Saturday evening at my delivery job and spending time with my friends, I went back to sleep at about 3am on Sunday morning, and didn't wake up again until 7 Sunday evening. I guess it turns out, having migraines can completely wipe a person out!!!!

Too bad I couldn't make myself that tired all the time, but without the pain of the migraine. Then I wouldn't be having all this trouble sleeping!!!

OH, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for covering my windows in my room... I live in a house that is partially grounded, so my windows are directly up against my ceiling, as I live in the lower part of the house. It's very hard to just drape something over the window frame or anything like that, as I know some have done/can do. Might you have any suggestions of ways to attatch coverings to the windows without having to drape anything?

Z

zeromantic

Hi Alyana: Not that I'm an interior decorator, but what about those durtain holders with the springs inside that you can mount inside a window box? That should give you a lot of flexibility with where you place your curtains. Then be sure to get dark LINED curtains, which help a lot with blocking out light.

A

Abing

heyy layna, i have the same problem heheh, cause i work at a call center with no fixed sched, i changed shifts every month, night shift this month, morning shift next motnh, orr afternoon shift and its sooo hard to sleep any time lol. before i used to exhaust myself at work so when i get home i fall asleep before goin to my bed lol. but it was not good lol cause i get so sleeepy even at work. but now i have learned to adjust, when i get home, i just talk and talk with my family and after an hour or 2 hours, i lay on the floor hehe, not on my bed lol. and listen to some ChristianMusic and start imagining that I am in heaven orr things like that hehe, and a few minutes, i forget everything and wala! im zzzzz wel that works for me,

Apr 22, 2009
When you get home...
Goto your room..
Get in your closet.
Get on your knees and close your eyes really tight and start praying, when you run out of words to say just start sayig Thank you JESUS
The bible says :
Let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

and just keep pressing for about 30 to 45 minutes. :D

M

MusicalMe

I have trouble sleeping because of restless legs, and someone suggested lavendar massage oil - I massage it deep into my legs before bed. Lavendar is a caliming scent, supposed to help relax you. Sometimes I use the oil even when my legs aren't bothering me. It's only about $10 for a bottle of the stuff. They also have candles, pillow spray, bath oils, etc.

X

xspinningisfun

Well, I hope that is not what you have, Spinning, just as I hope it's not what I have. I don't know if it's genetic or not, but if it is, I'm much more likely to have it because of my father.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions so far. I have been looking into some of the things you have all mentioned, minus the beans (Sorrie, I just can't stand beans in general) and the illegal substance.
Well, I'm sure I don't have it. Only because every time I hear someone struggling with something, I get all paranoid and think I have it. hahahaha. It's ridiculous. It's irrational fear. I looked up symptoms of sleep apnea and I don't struggle with any of them except the waking up part and stuff.

C

christiancollegegirl

My friend uses aromatherapy to calm her down. Maybe it'll help and put you to sleep.

K

krma-gurl

im on seratonin and melatonin, they're really good