So does anything that causes fear not from God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 22, 2010
G-d commands that we fear Him, so yes, some fear IS from G-d.

Jan 22, 2010
That fear is out of respect, not the type of fear I'm used to feeling...
No, actually, it's fear. If it was just respect, it would have said respect. But it was very specific that we are to fear Him.

H

HumbleSaint

That fear is out of respect, not the type of fear I'm used to feeling...

Ya its a different kind of fear. If we fear God, we keep His Commandments.

Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13b

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him......Rev. 14:7

.....Fear God. Honour the king. 1 Peter 2:17

You are right dothackzero, I believe it is a fear followed by respect. But when we have a fear of God, we have nothing else to fear.

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall i be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Jan 22, 2010
Except it said fear, not respect. It's very specific that we are to literally FEAR G-d.

C

charisenexcelcis

Except it said fear, not respect. It's very specific that we are to literally FEAR G-d.
The problem is how we use the word "fear" in English. It is more likely that we will use it to mean a phobia, an irrational and destructive fear than that we will use it of someone that we love. We should fear God. It's like someone once said, even if your elephant is friendly, it is a fearful thing to sleep next to it....

Jan 22, 2010
The problem is how we use the word "fear" in English. It is more likely that we will use it to mean a phobia, an irrational and destructive fear than that we will use it of someone that we love. We should fear God. It's like someone once said, even if your elephant is friendly, it is a fearful thing to sleep next to it....
Precisely. We are to love G-d, but we are also to fear Him. He's not a tame lion.

H

HumbleSaint

Well look at it this way, think of a child who does something naughty and his dad spankes him. Now at the same time the dad still shows his child love and spends time with him. This child develops a fear towards his dad in the fact that if he does something naughty he will get spanked. But the dad feeds the child a shows him love, so the child grows to love his dad and at the same time fear him.

That could be an illistration.

H

HumbleSaint

Now lets make another example. Say a dad comes home and starts beating his child up. Every day the child fears when his father comes home, because he knows that he is going to be abused. This is a different kind of fear. The child grows to hate and be afraid of his father.

Jan 22, 2010
Well look at it this way, think of a child who does something naughty and his dad spankes him. Now at the same time the dad still shows his child love and spends time with him. This child develops a fear towards his dad in the fact that if he does something naughty he will get spanked. But the dad feeds the child a shows him love, so the child grows to love his dad and at the same time fear him.

That could be an illistration.
Define "fear" in this context.

H

HumbleSaint

Define "fear" in this context.

the fear of getting spanked. The Bible says whom the Lord loveth, He chaseneth. So we fear God knowing that if we do something wrong, He will spiritualy spank us. Often I thank he alows us to face guilt. A true believer will feel guilt when he does something wrong. A true believer will then confess.

H

Harley_Angel

I don't think it's the cowering fear of flinching when someone makes a quick movement around you, or wetting yourself because you are afraid. I think they mean the respectful fear that we have of people in power, like our boss, like our parents, like our leaders. We don't do a lot of things from fear that we will be punished. I do fear God, but I'm not afraid of him, I respect him as my Lord and my Master and as such I do not want to disappoint Him. Same with my parents, if I do something wrong, yeah, I'm a little bit afraid of them because I know that I'm gonna be in trouble. I think that's what God wants from us...not to shy away from him, but to humble ourselves enough that when we do something wrong, we are afraid of what His reaction is and we come to Him with shame and not boldness of our sins.