So how do I gain child like faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2009
Also what are the benefits of having faith in God?

I know, I'm full of questions sometimes. :p

H

Harley_Angel

The benefit of having faith in God is well...salvation for one with a promise of everlasting life and inheritance of the greatest kingdom to ever exist. In a more worldy sense, faith in God is to have absolute peace. If you put your full faith in God, there is very little you ever have to worry about. You still have to manage your life, like balance your check book, go shopping, make sure you are staying healthy etc, but you can live without fear. Knowing that all you have to do is trust God and he'll hold you in the palm of His hand is to live a life with no fear. You don't have to worry about being sick, either you'll get better through God's will, or you'll die and be face to face with your Creator. You don't have to worry about starving or freezing to death, because if you seek Him first, He'll give you everything you need, even if it's release from life to be with Him. Imagine living without panic attacks, without worry, simply enjoying life the way God wants us to.

How do you gain it? It's not something you find in the store, it's not something you simply acquire, it's something you learn gradually over time. It's a matter of every time you worry, closing your eyes, saying a prayer, smiling, and simply giving it up to God. Push it from your mind and watch as He opens the doors. Even though He is opening the doors, you still have to go through them. Just because you have faith that God will help you pay your bills doesn't mean you can quit your job, sit at home, and stop sending checks to pay them. If you need something, God gives you a way to obtain it. Remember that. He wont' hand feed you with a silver spoon, but He'll make possible what He knows you need. Hold that in your heart, and like I said, when you start to worry, go to God. Just like when you were a child, what did you worry about ever? Nothing! You knew your parents were going to put a roof over your head, get you the clothes you needed, put food on your table, discipline you when you needed it, kiss your boo boo, teach you to do things you wanted to learn. So whenever you needed something, who did you always go to? Your parents! God is your Father, moreso even than your father on Earth. Think how much more He loves you than your own parents ever could even fathom. Go to Him like you would have your parents when you were 4. When you are hungry go to Him and He'll provide you food, when you are scared of the boogey man (or anxious about an illness or somthing) have God hug you and tell you it's okay and kiss your boo boo better. That's how you gain it, simply believing He'll help you, and then letting Him.

May 4, 2009
Well, yeah the salvation part is pretty obvious at least to us anyway. :) Actually, isn't having more faith what help out with your anxiety?

Okay, I'll remember that. Thanks. ^_^

H

Harley_Angel

Yeah, ever since I gave up my fears (which are from satan) to God, and asked Him to help me, and LET Him help me, I haven't had another panic attack. My husband left for deployment in Iraq for a year a couple days ago, and a few months ago simply the idea of him going into a war zone would throw me into a MASSIVE panic attack, but I said good bye then drove 16 hours to visit my family for thanksgiving and haven't had so much as a heart flutter. I know it'll be okay, because it's God's will. I submit to whatever God decides because I KNOW it's what's best for me, and whatever I end up doing usually turns sour fast. If one of my moles turns out to be cancerous, well, I'll either have gotten it in time, or I'll be busy preparing my soul and heart to meet God. If the cramp in my leg isn't just a crap and turns out to be a fatal blood clot, well, oh well, at least I died a quick death and didn't suffer on my way to be with my Creator. Hack, the worse thing that this world can do is kill you, and when you die, you WIN. So what's there to be afraid of? Meeting God? Being in the presence of your Savior? You're going to have pain and suffering and heartache in this world, it's going to be full of cruel people, and cruel scenarios, and depravity, and illness, and yet we love our lives so much. Imagine how much more we'll love being in heaven?

So don't be afraid, you are God's child, put your faith in Him, and submit yourself to His will, and simply stop worrying!!!!

C

charisenexcelcis

Where do we get the idea that we need child-like faith? We are suppose to be as humble as children, but I cannot find the command to have faith as a child.

May 4, 2009
Matthew 18

The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven

1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

C

charisenexcelcis

My conclusion is that we should have mature faith and childlike humility.

G

greatkraw

Yeah, ever since I gave up my fears (which are from satan) to God, and asked Him to help me, and LET Him help me, I haven't had another panic attack. My husband left for deployment in Iraq for a year a couple days ago, and a few months ago simply the idea of him going into a war zone would throw me into a MASSIVE panic attack, but I said good bye then drove 16 hours to visit my family for thanksgiving and haven't had so much as a heart flutter. I know it'll be okay, because it's God's will. I submit to whatever God decides because I KNOW it's what's best for me, and whatever I end up doing usually turns sour fast. If one of my moles turns out to be cancerous, well, I'll either have gotten it in time, or I'll be busy preparing my soul and heart to meet God. If the cramp in my leg isn't just a crap and turns out to be a fatal blood clot, well, oh well, at least I died a quick death and didn't suffer on my way to be with my Creator. Hack, the worse thing that this world can do is kill you, and when you die, you WIN. So what's there to be afraid of? Meeting God? Being in the presence of your Savior? You're going to have pain and suffering and heartache in this world, it's going to be full of cruel people, and cruel scenarios, and depravity, and illness, and yet we love our lives so much. Imagine how much more we'll love being in heaven?

So don't be afraid, you are God's child, put your faith in Him, and submit yourself to His will, and simply stop worrying!!!!
Wonderful post Harley. I was on life support for 6 weeks and given a 10% CHANCE of survival.

H

Harley_Angel

Wow, praise God that you are still around to tell about it.

May 4, 2009
Wow, praise God that you are still around to tell about it.
I know you don't like taking meds, but if you don't mind taking meds. Would you want to be taking meds right now for anxiety. I'm just wondering since I really don't wanna be anexity meds for ever.

D

Definition_Christ

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

Benefit:
Mark 9
23 Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”
24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”
25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!”
26 Then the spirit cried out, convulsed him greatly, and came out of him. And he became as one dead, so that many said, “He is dead.”
27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.
28 And when He had come into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?”
29 So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”

Last edited:

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Child like faith is learning from Jesus, trusting all is from Our Father in heaven granted through his Holy Spirit. It is accepting all that Our Lord God asks and is with understanding he gives and when you dont understand, still trusting all to him . It is knowing like a child does with a parent, that all is cared for by him. It is looking to him, with love that sees nothing else but Our Lord God.
God bless, pickles

H

Harley_Angel

The reason I don't like taking pills is because I like to be in control of myself. When I take a pill I give control of one of my body functions to something I really know nothing about. Whenever possible, I try to fix my body to perform the function it is meant to perform without having to rely on long term pills. I'm on highblood pressure medication. It was neccesary to take it, but now I'm needing less and less because I made changes to my diet and started working out and figuring out what points in my life were causing it. The same goes for the anxiety, there are times when you'll need to take the pills so that you can evaluate your situation without the burden of the anxiety fogging your vision. Once you have clarity, you can figure out how to take control of your mind and body again with God's help. People who need to take meds aren't weak or anything, but whenever possible I prefer not having to take a foriegn chemical. Anxiety pills may have made controlling my anxiety easier, but I much prefer how relying on God to help me has brought me closer to Him. I'm simply subsituted prayer and faith for pills and concoctions. If you can, which it isn't always an option, control your anxiety without the meds, try. But it's not a big deal really if you need the pills.
I know you don't like taking meds, but if you don't mind taking meds. Would you want to be taking meds right now for anxiety. I'm just wondering since I really don't wanna be anexity meds for ever.

Oct 23, 2009
Also what are the benefits of having faith in God?

I know, I'm full of questions sometimes. :p
Are you referring to this verse:

Whoever humbles himself like this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:4 RSV

If so, we are talking about humility, not faith, aren’t we?

May 21, 2009
Just believe! No matter what you see you just say I believe. I don't usually ever see gold but I know there is gold in the world. I've never been on the other side of the world but I know there is another side of the world. I don't know you but I know you are somewhere. You must be alive if you write on this chat. We just believe because we want to believe. By doing that the poer of God can be alive for us. People get healed all the time because they just chose to believe!

M

machew

dothackzero:

It sounds like there might be a spiritual aspect to what is going on in your life. If you fight something spiritual with something natural it may not ever fix you. I am not saying it is or isn't spiritual, just that you need to figure it out so you can go after the right solution.

If it is spiritual the drugs will only keep you stable and will never fix you. I had a similar fear of being around people about 5 years ago. I got healed from it from God, after much prayer.

After getting on the other side, the one thing I have learned is that the worst thing you can do in this situation is to give into:

1. Self-pity
2. Bitterness
3. Envy
4. Unforgiveness

It is my belief that there is always a spiritual aspect to social anxiety disorder because of the roll that fear plays in that person's life. But the 4 things above are sure to make it into a spiritual stronghold in your life. As soon as you open these doors the devil has got you, until you are willing to let it go.

A ministry that has helped me out significantly is called SOZO ministry which is a healing and deliverance ministry at my church.

http://www.bethelsozo.com/

I don't know where you are located, but I have met people from all over the world who come to receive ministry here. You may want to consider it.

God Bless!

Matthew

M

machew

To answer your original question, all faith is a gift from God. You can't will yourself into or do more things obtain more child-like faith. You can position your heart to receive more faith, but it is Him who actually gives you more faith.

Romans 12:3(NASB)(emphasis mine)
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.