So.. I met someone... (Help!)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CC_Bride

Im married and I love being married. Not meaning to rub it in, but if it makes you feel any better I feel there is something that I struggle with that I need some advice on.

Last December, my husband and I decided to move permanently from New Zealand to Vancouver, Canada. And something that has really disappointed and saddened me is that we've both noticed how after we made that decision public, my friends very obviously distanced themselves from us. Maybe they haven't even realised they done it, but we have. Since I grew up here, the majority of our friends have been people Ive known since highschool so I have the closer relationship compared to my husband. Some of them are single, some married with children, some were older parental like friends. Previously there was communication and intimate conversations and invites for get togethers and involvement with children, advice asked by my single friends. Now nothing.

I thought making friends in Canada would be a bit scary, now Ive realised keeping my New Zealand friends is harder.

So something happened today that got me really excited but awkward at the same time. I met someone (female) at work who is lovely and we had a fantastic time working together (despite stresses of our job), we found out we live only a few apartments away from each other on the same street. We're both newly weds with no kids, both involved with church (though I didn't outright ask if she was a Christian), into gardening and kids and even more incredible, she and her husband are planning to move to Vancouver, Canada as well - how freaky is that?!

We ended work saying "catchya later!" (even though it was her last day at work so I'll never see her there again). And this sounds really pathetic, but I wanted to give her my number or at the very least facebook links but I didn't cos it SOOO sounded as if I wanted to ask her out or something which is so dorky and awkward for two christian married women. I genuinely felt, like this was a person I could become friends with, which could carry on into another city on another country.

So I walked down my driveway, and recognised her car a few houses ago and I really want to invite her and her husband around or SOMETHING.

What do I do?? All of a sudden Ive had to experience the awful anguish of what its like for you folks getting the nerve to ask someone out, and all I want is a platonic heterosexual christian relationship!

Help!

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
Invite them to a dinner that you make, or offer to make.

I dunno. Once married people disappear to the dark side or married life, away from us single folk, they tend to only congregate with other married people. Its like a strange barrier between US and You People.

No worries, be casual, have fun.

Aug 2, 2009
Invite them over. Track her down on facebook if u must. Good friends are almost impossible to find.

C

CC_Bride

Invite them over. Track her down on facebook if u must. Good friends are almost impossible to find.
Heres a question re new concepts

Is it now such a common occurance to stalk and "befriend" via facebook that it can be acceptable instead of creepy?
Some people get a little weirded by being stalked and contacted on facebook don't they?
Maybe Im just being Amish or something, cos it just feels odd doing that even though everyone does it.

And Liamson, I love single people. Hence why I still peruse the single threads as an annoying married person lol. I love to know what you folks get up to lol. I believe its antibiblical and unedifying to snob others who aren't in the same life course as you are. Thats why I had single, dating and married (with kids) friends. And I think single people who just talk and hang out with other singles non stop will develop depression (haha! jokes). I think the major attraction I have re persuing a friendship with this woman is that she is moving to Vancouver too not that shes married, thats just a bonus in terms of similarities.

C

CC_Bride

AND the annoying snobbery that Ive experienced, is this

Singles: We hate you because you look happy because you're having sex and we're not

Dating: We hate you cos we feel like you make us look bad for not being married yet

Newlywed: We don't like you because you guys don't yell and scream at each other like we do OR My marriage/husband is better than your marriage/husband.

Married with kids: Ha! you pathetic newbies, we're awesome cos we've got beautiful babies and you don't OR We hate you because you look happy because your having sex

Married for 50 years: Oh look at you two, aren't you guys just cute?! Enjoy it while it lasts suckers...

J

Jullianna

I think it would be great to just invite them to dinner. Who knows? Maybe your hubbies will like one another as well. It's pretty cool to have at least one friend in a new place to explore. :)

Aug 2, 2009
Is it now such a common occurance to stalk and "befriend" via facebook that it can be acceptable instead of creepy?
Some people get a little weirded by being stalked and contacted on facebook don't they?
Maybe Im just being Amish or something, cos it just feels odd doing that even though everyone does it.
I think that depends on the motive. In your case you have a wonderfully positive motive. Just tell her "Hey, I wasn't sure before because we just met but now I'm kicking myself for not giving you my contact info. Me and (your hubby's name) would love to have you guy's come over some time or maybe we can all go to dinner or something. You seem really nice and I'd hate to just lose touch." Signed with sincerity. I think that will do the trick! :)

R

Relena7

Heck yeah I would find them on facebook if I met someone and all the signs from the brief meeting seemed to point that we would click well. :) I would at least look and see if their profile was pubic. If so, it's a good chance they wouldn't be offended by "stalking". In this day and age it isn't that uncommon anyway. (I do keep mine private though cause you never know who is out there, lol).
Anyway what have you got to lose?

And FYI: I am unmarried and I don't have a problem with happy newlyweds or married people. :confused: I'm happy for ya. =)

U

Ugly

If you both got along, then just get over it and befriend the woman. You're making way too much out of this. This is not the same as asking someone out. I find it rather strange the way you're thinking and feeling about the whole thing.