SO...?!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grey

Do you believe in ghosts? If so why? If not why?

Sep 2, 2009
by ghosts, do u mean the spirits of the dead walking the earth?
i believe in the possibility i suppose.
but if u mean ghosts as in otherworldly spirits of some sort, i guess thats possible too, i guess. there could be a reason so many religions have spirits as part of their believe system.
but i guess im a skeptic because ive never seen or experienced any kind of paranormal activity in person.

G

Grey

Yes any kind of spirit (besides holy spirit).

S

suaso

Yes. I've lived in a few houses that have been haunted. I don't know what the existence of ghosts implies. If they are human spirits, it seems they ought to be in heaven or hell, but if you believe in purgatory, then it makes sense that perhaps these ghosts are the spirits of humans doing their purgatory on earth, so to speak...re-living past events over and over until they are detached from whatever is keeping them from moving on to life eternal. Maybe they are there to remind us that we ought to pray more or something. In some cases, maybe ghosts are actually demons trying to get us to do their will and turn towards evil. Who knows.

I certainly believe in the Holy Ghost.

Didn't Jesus eat with the apostles post-resurrection to prove he wasn't a ghost? If so, I'd say the idea of ghosts was clear in the minds of those disciples!

C

concernedguy

Do you believe in ghosts? If so why? If not why?

There are no human spirits on earth. A human spirit is either in a body or in heaven or hell. Paul said
To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ. But this only applies to Christians. Sinners
go to hell.
Any other spirits on earth are demons of satan. They are powerful and can easily defeat us without
Christ's Power. These demons can even take human form. Jesus said we battle not against flesh
but against powers and principalities. They can defeat us easily if Christ's Power is not protecting us
and guiding us.
Jesus forbid the use of fortune telling and mediums because it is dangerous. If a non-christian uses
a medium, they are not protected by Christ's Power and there is a possibility that a demon can take
over a person if they are weak.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Biblically speaking.. once a person dies, there eternal spirit leaves earth and is in either Heaven or Hell for eternity.

Experientially speaking- people site haunted houses, strange experiences etc..

But when these experiences are truly tested to see if they are real? Few, if any remain to be true- and the ones that could be true would be spiritual activity that is not dead humans.. but angels and satan's minions.

THE BARNUM PERSONALITY AFFECT:

A psychologist has a patient who complains of symptoms of mental illness. The psychologist suspects that the condition is only in their mind, and not actually a genunine mental disorder.

SO

The psychologist ask the patient to draw a picture of themselves.. and gives them a personality profile which is very positive. The person believes the profile, starts to feel good about themselves and the symptoms ease.

The thing with this-

The personality profile is the same one given to 100s of people! It is pre-prepared and doesn't actually apply specifically to that person. It is broad enough to apply to anyone..with a few things in there to make it look like it applies to that person in particular.

Now why I type this is-

this also applies to horoscopes.. astrology.. fortune telling.. and ghosts. With horoscopes.. there are numerous orgs that just recycle the same horoscopes every year in their publication. It is completely made up and nothing really to do with the person reading.

Fortune telling-- the fortune teller will predict something broad enough that they could say it for anybody.. but with a few things in there.. discerned by just looking at a person or knowing a little of their background so they think it is particularly about them.

Ghosts-- before going out looking for ghosts.. people will be psyched up.. enduced into fear.. pre- conditioned to be sensitive to just about anything out of the ordinary. So they go in to a place that is old and dark with creeky floors etc.. and are immediately heightening this pre-prepared state. So they are prone to illusion, seeing things that aren't there and deception.

So-- eliminate all logical reasons and mental state factors and then see if there are ghosts around as in walking dead humans.. there won't be even one!

Status
Not open for further replies.