Soap/Shampoo-less showering/bathing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 9, 2012
Lose the Soap: Take a Soap-Free Shower (and Still Smell Sweet)

I was doing some free reading for my leisure while working and I was reading about 5 journals (the most language-friendly posted above) describing peoples' journeys for showering and bathing without soaps of any sorts. Some of the people who have tried it claim to smell better and feel better after the transition period is over and their skin and hair both begin to recover. So, what do you think? Is going soapless worth it totally? Or do you think it is better to just find healthier alternatives to what the commercials are selling us? I use coconut oil at home alone and just combine it with things like peppermint oil or lavendar oil of my choice and I can attest my skin feels better with those alternatives. I haven't tried going soapless before. What are the ideas going through your minds? I'm curious :D

May 3, 2013
I don´t want to see flies around me... :p

Pemon Indian are very used to coconut oil, as Colombian (coast) people, as well.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
This topic reminds me of a french comedy, RRRrrr!!!, that is very funny and worth seeing :p.

[h=1]Plot Summary[/h]In 35,000 BC, the tribe of the Dirty Hairs is in war against the tribe of the Clean Hairs for eight hundred years, trying to get their shampoo. The chief of the Dirty Hairs sends his daughter Guy disguised to the enemy tribe to get some shampoo for his tribe. When the healer of the Clean Hairs tribe surprisingly kills two cavemen of his tribe, their imbecile chief assigns Pierre with curled hair and Pierre blonde to investigate the murder and find the criminal.

Sorry for the off-topic, but I guess I got stucked with the word association game that I was playing and the first thing that came into my mind was this movie :D.

[video=youtube;Q-_CtCpCpIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_CtCpCpIQ[/video]

W

wwjd_kilden

I wouldn't stop using soap altogether, but it would probably be good for our skin to use less of it. (Especially those who take 2-3 showers a day).

May 3, 2013
I wouldn't stop using soap altogether, but it would probably be good for our skin to use less of it. (Especially those who take 2-3 showers a day).
In the last case, it be goo TO SAVE SOME WATER or get some dry wash.

Oct 31, 2011
In order to make soap, lye is put with fat so a chemical process happens called saponification that turns the lye into glycerin. Lye is harmful as we all know, but after it is chemically changed to glycerin it isn't harmful. Most commercial soap takes out glycerin to sell for other uses, that is why many people will only use hand made soap or make it themselves.

In the list of ingredients in soap, the lye is never listed as lye, but sodium hydroxide.

When a soap doesn't contain lye it is based on petroleum products, foaming agents, and chemicals that are hard on our skin and is a detergent rather than a soap.

For my face, I found that castor oil will dissolve dirt better than any soap. It is too thick to use, so I put it in a pretty bottle with another oil that is face friendly like olive or almond. I rub this in well with hot water, and use an acid toner of witch hazel with some cider vinegar to tone my face and remove all oil.

O

overcomer2

RedTent I was just looking today for a liquid castile soap. Do you have a recipe? I am looking to make my own shampoo. Today I was trying Bacon Grease soap and ended up making a Bacon grease candle.

Oct 31, 2011
RedTent I was just looking today for a liquid castile soap. Do you have a recipe? I am looking to make my own shampoo. Today I was trying Bacon Grease soap and ended up making a Bacon grease candle.
I have only made soap "tomorrow" and that day hasn't arrived, yet. I have folders of information I downloaded from the net. I used the laundry soap from bacon grease my aunt gave me, it was hard and good but I never helped her make it. For myself, I always buy from other people who make it, and usually they use other oils than bacon grease.

Jul 12, 2013
Sodium Hydroxide - Lye

This is a relatively inexpensive site I found for sodium hydroxide. I'm planning on ordering from them and making my own soaps in the near future. There are just too many chemical unknowns in the current soaps for sale today, and making it yourself is almost always less expensive once you buy the scale and other start-up gear.

You can use potassium hydroxide for soaps also and it's free, however there are solidity concerns using oils instead of tallow.

Red Devil Lye, Red Devil, Lye, Sodium Hydroxide, Caustic Soda, Lye Beads, Lye Pellets

T

Tintin

There are people who take 2-3 showers a day? Wow. You could never do that in Australia! We don't have enough water to go around. Also, it's better for the body to not have that many showers. I've even read that some consider one a day too many.

I'm not sure about having soap-less showers. It doesn't strike me that just washing your body with water would clean it. But what do I know?