Society as a whole has a deep hatred for anything teenage girls like, why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
I have come to the conclusion that people just automatically look down upon anything that has a mainly teenage girl demographic.

Like yeah some of it can be a lil stupid but why do people get so riled up about it? Things like fan fiction, boybands, the movies they like. Things like Kpop or twilight. It’s okay if you aren’t into it and I have no problem with that (because at a certain level I agree) but why are so many teenage girls made fun of for the things they like.
People like Justin Bieber and one direction have been hated by so many just because they sing songs about falling in love like it’s a crime. Why do older people especially guys act like they weren’t cringy when they were younger and act like girls putting posters of cute guys on their wall is a crime.

Interests like sports and video games, comics (which let’s be honest are mostly perceived as more male oriented hobbies) have the same level of obsession but they aren’t nearly close to being hated as much. This can affect girls too because some start to hide their interests.

Why can't people just leave them alone and let them like what they like without acting like their interests are the lowest barometer of entertainment and you should be ashamed for being a fan of it.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Sports, video games and comic books are traditionally mostly male, but more recently they've also become much more popular with women. So they have a more balanced fan base, when it comes to gender, than was the case previously. Especially video games.

I've not seen kpop as female since I've seen many males into it as well. Nor have it seen it made fun of.

Usually if I see fan fiction made fun of its when it takes weird turns.

Movies. Cheesy things get made fun of. That's just normal.
Bieber, not unusual for there to be an artist or band that gets hated on. In the 80s the band Winger came along and become the dumping ground for a lot of hatred, despite soong nothing wrong. Currently we have Nickelback that's dumped on for no real reason. Even Metallica, for as popular as they got, have become the focus of a lot of hatred over the years as well. So I don't see Bieber as being targeted because his teen girl fan base.
Also, after he grew up he seems to have come across like a jerk and very arrogant. Two traits to make his unlikable.
And boy bands are seen by many as corporate projects since they're often put together by big record labels. This makes them less respectable than an artist or band that worked hard to earn their place on that label.

I just don't see what you're seeing.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I have come to the conclusion that people just automatically look down upon anything that has a mainly teenage girl demographic.

Like yeah some of it can be a lil stupid but why do people get so riled up about it? Things like fan fiction, boybands, the movies they like. Things like Kpop or twilight. It’s okay if you aren’t into it and I have no problem with that (because at a certain level I agree) but why are so many teenage girls made fun of for the things they like.
People like Justin Bieber and one direction have been hated by so many just because they sing songs about falling in love like it’s a crime. Why do older people especially guys act like they weren’t cringy when they were younger and act like girls putting posters of cute guys on their wall is a crime.

Interests like sports and video games, comics (which let’s be honest are mostly perceived as more male oriented hobbies) have the same level of obsession but they aren’t nearly close to being hated as much. This can affect girls too because some start to hide their interests.

Why can't people just leave them alone and let them like what they like without acting like their interests are the lowest barometer of entertainment and you should be ashamed for being a fan of it.
I have not really seen/experienced this. I think it is more a case of people make fun of people in other age groups/generations.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
People like Justin Bieber and one direction have been hated by so many just because they sing songs about falling in love like it’s a crime.
With respect to this point, specifically- I find that a lot of so-called "love songs" are about how people are so overwhelmed or deceived by their emotions that they can no longer think straight: and that this is somehow a "beautiful thing"; when actually the real-world results are often catastrophic and do damage to society- hence why society hates it.

Dec 3, 2023
This is called rice circle.
With respect to this point, specifically- I find that a lot of so-called "love songs" are about how people are so overwhelmed or deceived by their emotions that they can no longer think straight: and that this is somehow a "beautiful thing"; when actually the real-world results are often catastrophic and do damage to society- hence why society hates it.
I agree with this view.
Love songs sometimes seem empty and pale.Will make people unconsciously bored.

HoneyBee

Jun 6, 2023

Does it really matter what other people think when it comes down to what is important to us? I have never been one of the popular girls and I never wanted to be one. From what I have seen, being one comes with way too much compromise. Therefore, I just do NOT care what other people think of the things I like. People are just too different when it comes down to what they prefer. They will not affect me when it comes to the things that are important to me.

I enjoy sports and video games too. I enjoy sports differently than guys. I lack the couch-potato enjoyment of sports. Watching sports is not my thing. Right now I am on the basketball team. That will end next week and that is sad. But, I am looking forward to softball. :)

I think if you want pictures of cute guys on your wall, go for it. There is nothing wrong with it that I can see. I am a foster kid and never had a room I could consider my own so I have no idea what I would do myself. A cute guy will get my attention but after that they would need something better to keep me interested and a picture would not tell me anything more.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018

I think it just keeps life spicy. I don't really think everyone looks down at those things, maybe get a good laugh. People like to goof around and just poke fun about it. From an entertainment perspective they like it and make a lot of money from it.

I liked that kind of stuff when I was a girl. My boys don't as much. Boys aren't really into that typically and like video games, comics type.

It's just a preference and doesn't mean anything in particular. Everyone likes different things and that's okay.

Jul 13, 2023
society like to label things and take sides. There's probably people out there who label sewing is for girls and a guy who sews is being effeminate, like an insult to make themselves feel better about their lack of ability.