"Soul Mates"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do you believe in 'soul mates'?

• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Well it depends...

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Wow guys! That's awesome.

I'm glad to see everyone voicing their beliefs.

I honestly have mixed beliefs based from your answers, but still personally hold that while there are those more compatible than others, the idea of 'one' being made for 'you' and not for God, well...that's pretty selfish.

Anyway, going along those lines, I completely hear where Ugly is coming from.

Then again, I have an ear for Jullianna's point, HarpyEagle's, and Violakat.

On the issue of singleness...Paul speaks about it as a gift in that God takes all desires (presumably of a physical/sexual nature) from the individual who is called to singleness.

In any case, we should seek the LORD and learn to be content whatever our situation.

This is going great everyone! Keep this wonderful feedback coming!

K

kayem77

I agree with the core point he was making, there is too much romantiscism in the world regarding the perfect partner, and peoples both Christian and not tend to justify failed relationships with 'they were not the one' instead of 'I didn't give all I should have' or some other more honest evaluation.

However I do think to base that aritcle around the notion of soul mates a little unfair, mainly because the term is so loosely defined, to me a soul mate isn't neccesarily a perfect marriage partner so much as someone who 'get's me', someone with whom I connect on all levels and have that unspoken understanding with, and I believe those people absolutely do exist and I believe God has a hand in that, our journeys bring us together and our journey is given by God.

I had never heard about the Zeus orign of soul mates story, can't say I agree that it's a common basis for the belief, more likely it's cheesy hollywood rom coms.

I did like his conclusion though, marriage is all about the work in the end ;) as are all relationships.

I agree with you Matthew. My definition of soul mate is completely different from the definition of the article. I did know about that Zeus origin, but like every other greek myth, I took it just as what it is, a myth. My ''soul mate'' would be someone who totally gets me, who connects with me, I know it's not going to be a fairytale fantasy nor I expect to meet Prince Charming.
What you said basically sums up everything I was going to say, so this is it :)

About praying for my soul mate,I think I'll pray about it when I have doubts if someone is that ''especial one''. Meanwhile, I'll focus in what should I do to serve in my singleness and if someone appears while I'm on the road, then its time for some action;).

U

Ugly

Reading through its really difficult to discuss this evenly. Some people are using the traditional concept of soul mates and other are just making up their own personal definitions, instead of adopting the commonly held idea of what it means. So really the poll itself is inaccurate. If people are making up their own definitions and answering the question then its not accurate as they are answering in their on version, not the common version. Some of these self made definitions of soul mates are things i would say are great examples of what a person who is a great fit and would be good to consider for marriage. And if those definitions were what soul mate meant, then i would be in agreement that people have soul mates. But as long as people are making their own meanings up then there's really no way to discuss this because when i say soul mate and someone else says it we're not actually talking about the same thing. So without a set term of meaning that is the standard for everyone to answer with, then its just talking in circles.

V

violakat

Reading through its really difficult to discuss this evenly. Some people are using the traditional concept of soul mates and other are just making up their own personal definitions, instead of adopting the commonly held idea of what it means. So really the poll itself is inaccurate. If people are making up their own definitions and answering the question then its not accurate as they are answering in their on version, not the common version. Some of these self made definitions of soul mates are things i would say are great examples of what a person who is a great fit and would be good to consider for marriage. And if those definitions were what soul mate meant, then i would be in agreement that people have soul mates. But as long as people are making their own meanings up then there's really no way to discuss this because when i say soul mate and someone else says it we're not actually talking about the same thing. So without a set term of meaning that is the standard for everyone to answer with, then its just talking in circles.
That's why I chose the last option.

U

Ugly

But if you read the posts a lot of people used their own personal idea of what it means, separate from that definition. They made up their own definition.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
This is true, and I see these as those who marked "well it depends" and "undecided"...but it's difficult to get an accurate reading regardless.

Anyway, my point was simply that those who mark 'yes' or 'no' without going into detail of what a soul mate means to them, and more what it means in general, are running off the twin flame idea.

People are always going to change the point of reference to one they relate with. That's just one of the many difficulties in communication.

I

IQ

This and other silly "romantic" notions.
Select carefully and deal with it.

I

IQ

Actually - I freely confess I voted an unflinching No even before reading the article. The article offers some interesting history, so be it. I agree wholeheartedly with the authors conclusion in any case. Those of you who know my position on "romantic love" - please forgive me while I rant.
"Romance" is a child of corruption spawned during the Renaissance to excuse marital infidelity and all kinds of rebellion against the social borders of propriety in that day and age - frankly it still is. Not that there are many borders of propriety left in American society (Heaven help us).
Marriage is hard work in desperate need of Divine Intervention on a regular bases if it is going to withstand the stormy seas of life. I absolutely GUARANTEE there will be hard times, times you want to bury your beloved spouse under the porch, and times you will wish with all deep longing that you were free to pursue another. Oh well, get over it, life is hard, you are living with a sinner and so are they, there will be temptations. Welcome to the wonderful world of marriage.

GOD_IS_LOVE

Mar 16, 2009
I find this article out of line with what the Bible teaches about living by faith and not by sight.

"God did not create another human being just to satisfy your needs or to make you feel complete." Has he read the account of the creation of Eve????

"Yet many believers pray for God to lead them to the “right one.” Instead of negotiating through the decision making process of selecting a mate in a down-to-earth, biblical approach." Does not the Lord say " I KNOW THE PLANS THAT I HAVE FOR YOU"? Would this not include something as important as a marriage partner? "Negotiating"- is this not trusting your own understanding rather than trusting God? "Down-to-earth" - I guess if Ruth had taken this approach she never would have ended up with Boaz, it certainly did not seem very "down-to-earth", or Esther with the king, or Mary, the mother of Jesus, with Joseph. We are called to live by faith, not by sight.

Besides, he easily dismisses the account of Abraham's servant who prayed: "Let her be the one YOU have chosen for your servant Isaac." He didn't gather all the girls of the village to assess them and make his decision in a "down-to-earth" manner.

So in the end I think it's all about how you live your life: by sight or by faith.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
God has that right person for your life. I guess its all about the right time it happens. God only knows that, but waiting for God to seen that right person can get really lonely.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
Actually - I freely confess I voted an unflinching No even before reading the article. The article offers some interesting history, so be it. I agree wholeheartedly with the authors conclusion in any case. Those of you who know my position on "romantic love" - please forgive me while I rant.
"Romance" is a child of corruption spawned during the Renaissance to excuse marital infidelity and all kinds of rebellion against the social borders of propriety in that day and age - frankly it still is. Not that there are many borders of propriety left in American society (Heaven help us).
Marriage is hard work in desperate need of Divine Intervention on a regular bases if it is going to withstand the stormy seas of life. I absolutely GUARANTEE there will be hard times, times you want to bury your beloved spouse under the porch, and times you will wish with all deep longing that you were free to pursue another. Oh well, get over it, life is hard, you are living with a sinner and so are they, there will be temptations. Welcome to the wonderful world of marriage.
Haha, rant on!

G

GreenNnice

God has that right person for your life. I guess its all about the right time it happens. God only knows that, but waiting for God to seen that right person can get really lonely.
--
I think, once we are right for marriage, got our ducks in a row, got the ability to mind our p's and q's, etc., blah, blah, BLAH :D , well then folks it will be like 'murder' (please watch the opening of 'Hart to Hart' peoples or you just won't GET it :) ) , or , in more edible terms, like popcorn, because your soul mate will show up in a jiffy or, how I see it, a PERFECT pick from God :)

Hey, DUCK! WHERE YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?

Well, gotta run ;)

Oh, but since the honorable and venerable HarpEag has been on here lately... how you doing, bird brain? I mean, meant, sorry Harp, I meant 'bird bro.' 'Brai-- broin , no that's not it, br-r-r.'. :D

Last edited by a moderator: