Southern Baptists' Millenial Gap (TheGospelCoalition.org, Christianianity Today)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

IDEAtor

Aug 15, 2012
The 46,000 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention are baptizing fewer people this year, and most of our churches are not baptizing any millennials (which means, depending on generational calculations, people between the ages of 14-34, or, teenagers through early thirties). Christianity Today reports:
In last year’s Annual Church Profile, 60 percent of the more than 46,000 churches in the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) reported no youth baptisms (ages 12 to 17) in 2012, and 80 percent reported only one or zero baptisms among young adults (ages 18 to 29).

Question: Can you post a link to other denominations or institutions that posts baptism statistics?
This is interesting, sad.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
The 46,000 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention are baptizing fewer people this year, and most of our churches are not baptizing any millennials (which means, depending on generational calculations, people between the ages of 14-34, or, teenagers through early thirties). Christianity Today reports:
In last year’s Annual Church Profile, 60 percent of the more than 46,000 churches in the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) reported no youth baptisms (ages 12 to 17) in 2012, and 80 percent reported only one or zero baptisms among young adults (ages 18 to 29).

Question: Can you post a link to other denominations or institutions that posts baptism statistics?
This is interesting, sad.

This doesn't surprise me, but first lets get a better sense of the statistics.

Statistics can be skewed and prodded to give the impression of almost anything.
So first of all, regarding those same statistics, what has been the "norm" in previous years?

Are these statics actually showing a change from the norm?
For all I know, 60% of Southern Baptist Churches might be so small they never baptist ANYONE.
: )

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Maybe if they got off their duffs and hit the streets (with the Gospel) where the people are they'd have a baptism or two.
What do they think, converts appear in the pews?
(my rant for the day).

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Maybe its because the southern baptist denomination is a dying denomination? I know many people who were born into it and has since left it for other denominations and are the age-range you're talking about.

Drett

Feb 16, 2013
This doesn't surprise me, but first lets get a better sense of the statistics.

Statistics can be skewed and prodded to give the impression of almost anything.
So first of all, regarding those same statistics, what has been the "norm" in previous years?

Are these statics actually showing a change from the norm?
For all I know, 60% of Southern Baptist Churches might be so small they never baptist ANYONE.
: )
Does this help ?

Is the Southern Baptist Convention Dying? [research] - churchrelevance.com

Mar 1, 2012
My church has loose ties to the SBC.

From 2001 to today it has grown from 500 to 6000.

Lotsa baptisms, old, young and in between.

eh