Speaking against the Holy Ghost - what is it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
I have a question. What does it mean to speak against the Holy Ghost?

This comes from Matthew 12:32:

Matthew 12:32
King James Version
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
This may help you =====you can read the whole thing if you wish to ------link provided

https://www.gotquestions.org/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
The first thing I will say is ....if you are born again ...it is impossible to commit the unforgivable sin.
It is 180 degree out of phase with God, and it must be done with the full knowledge and commitment of your actions ....not something you accidently commit.

People like to give their own assessment of what the unforgivable sin is ….and honestly the Bible does not come right out and state it…which is a good thing..... which I won’t go into.

I will put this together as best I can.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

That is a scripture we are all familiar with….

In that verse we see the seed of the serpent and the seed of the woman. Now we know that the woman doesn’t have seed, but we know the reference to that was our savior Jesus Christ. (Luk 1:35)

In addition to that we know that by making Jesus Christ Lord in our life we are born again (Rom 10:9&10) to which we receive the incorruptible seed (spirit) 1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

You can’t lose seed (spirit) Just as you cannot lose the seed of your earthly father no matter what you do, seed is seed. Your natural body has the seed of your earthly father, a born-again person (body, soul, spirit) has the incorruptible seed of God.

I won’t go through all the areas concerning the unforgivable, unpardonable sin (Mat 12:31&32, Mar 3:28&29, Luk 12:10, 1Jo 3:8-12)

But I do want to note a few things from Mat 12:31 and Jhn 8:13ff.

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Spirit shall not be forgiven unto men.

They shall not be forgiven is in the sense of absolute cannot be forgiven… …Why?

I would suggest reading all of John 8 from verse 13 on ….but

Jhn 8:44 tells us why →Ye are of your father the devil,← and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Our Father is God …we acquired that position as children when we were born again (seed).

The Pharisees acquired a position as children of darkness. Remember it had been 400 years without a prophet…and in those years of Babylonian mysticism and occult practices…the devil had a field day. These guys were supposed to be the ones who maintained the statutes and practices that God had set up …but instead, they went by the way of Cain.

What I am stating is this. God can’t forgive someone who makes the serpent their father…that is seed … seed of the devil…. and seed is seed …it can’t be changed.

I have met those of seed when I was a priest in that arena which I practiced in before God rescued me. You would never know them if you met them on the street, in the banking arena, religious hierarchy, the music industry, or the political arena… Well actually ….God may inform you if it was necessary …but for the most part they would appear like the Pharisees did in their time.

And if you notice Jesus did not rebuke them (cast them out) in John because He couldn’t…. devil spirits you can cast out …..seed you cannot…it’s permanent.

Of course, what you believe is up to you, in some ways it sounds…. ~out there~….but, that is what I know from both my insight into that realm and what the truth of the Word indicates.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
My understanding is that saying things like OMG or GD is not blasphemy, although saying these things is not being Christ-like especially for certain curse words. I understood blasphemy to mean telling others that God said XYZ which He did not, meaning putting untrue words in God's mouth. Like, when the devil says God says XYZ is okay when it is not, then that is blasphemy.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
This may help you =====you can read the whole thing if you wish to ------link provided

https://www.gotquestions.org/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered
This is the proper understanding. Please take time to read and understand it.

CS1

May 23, 2012

King James Version
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
There are many things you will hear about this topic and opinions. The authority on this topic is the lord Jesus himself, for he is the ONLY ONE WHO SAID THIS IN ALL GOSPEL ACCOUNTS.

What we must consider:

• Who was Jesus speaking to?
  • Why did he say it?
  • Was it before or after the cross and His Resurrection?
Each text gives insight into this question. I would recommend reading each one and then reading Matthew 23 in the NLT.

You fine them in :

Matthew 12
Mark chapter 3
luke chapter 11-12

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
This might be an important verse too.

LEVI 24
13Then the LORD said to Moses, 14“Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and have all who heard him lay their hands on his head; then have the whole assembly stone him.

N

notonmywatch

My understanding is that saying things like OMG or GD is not blasphemy, although saying these things is not being Christ-like especially for certain curse words.
Saying "OMG" or "O my God" isn't necessarily bad, depending upon how one uses such words. In fact, "O my God" appears many times in scripture in the following verses:

1 Chronicles 17:25
Ezra 9:6
Nehemiah 13:14, 22, 29, and 31
Psalm 3:7
Psalm 22:2
Psalm 25:2
Psalm 38:21
Psalm 40:8, and 17
Psalm 42:6
Psalm 59:1
Psalm 71:4, 12, and 22
Psalm 83:13
Psalm 102:24
Daniel 9:18, and 19

In Psalm 40:8, it is Christ who is saying those words, and probably in Psalm 22:2 as well.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019

King James Version
Since you looking, who was Christ talking to? Yeah its not someone that loves follows Christ.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

King James Version
In context, it is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to demons.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In context, it is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to demons.
Correct. And from there to Satan. The word "Beelzebub" is another name for the devil, and what Christ's enemies were saying is that the miracles of the Holy Spirit were originating from Satan. That was the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and also a deliberate lie since they knew better, and knew that God was at work. In Luke 11:20 Christ said that He cast out demons "by the finger of God", but in Matthew 12:28 He said He cast them out "by the Spirit of God" (the Holy Spirit). This corresponds to Acts 2:22: Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

King James Version
It's the Holy Spirit who testifies to the truth. If a person speaks evil of the Holy Spirit they will never be able to receive the truth because they have rejected the only One who can reveal to them the truth. If a person rejects the Holy Spirit, how can they receive forgiveness since they've rejected the truth?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Matt 12:31-32 . . And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be
forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but
anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this
age or in the age to come.

The Pharisees knew very well that Jesus' powers were God-given.

John 3:1-2 . . Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a
member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said,
"Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one
could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him.

The Pharisees were all Bible-trained men so they were aware that God-given
empowerments were distributed by His spirit; a notable example being
Mr. Samson.

So their remark wasn't an error in judgment: it was deliberate; and apparently
the Spirit took it very personal to the point where there was just no sensible
way He could let it slide..
_

Dec 9, 2011
The first thing I will say is ....if you are born again ...it is impossible to commit the unforgivable sin.
It is 180 degree out of phase with God, and it must be done with the full knowledge and commitment of your actions ....not something you accidently commit.

People like to give their own assessment of what the unforgivable sin is ….and honestly the Bible does not come right out and state it…which is a good thing..... which I won’t go into.

I will put this together as best I can.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

That is a scripture we are all familiar with….

In that verse we see the seed of the serpent and the seed of the woman. Now we know that the woman doesn’t have seed, but we know the reference to that was our savior Jesus Christ. (Luk 1:35)

In addition to that we know that by making Jesus Christ Lord in our life we are born again (Rom 10:9&10) to which we receive the incorruptible seed (spirit) 1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

You can’t lose seed (spirit) Just as you cannot lose the seed of your earthly father no matter what you do, seed is seed. Your natural body has the seed of your earthly father, a born-again person (body, soul, spirit) has the incorruptible seed of God.

I won’t go through all the areas concerning the unforgivable, unpardonable sin (Mat 12:31&32, Mar 3:28&29, Luk 12:10, 1Jo 3:8-12)

But I do want to note a few things from Mat 12:31 and Jhn 8:13ff.

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Spirit shall not be forgiven unto men.

They shall not be forgiven is in the sense of absolute cannot be forgiven… …Why?

I would suggest reading all of John 8 from verse 13 on ….but

Jhn 8:44 tells us why →Ye are of your father the devil,← and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Our Father is God …we acquired that position as children when we were born again (seed).

The Pharisees acquired a position as children of darkness. Remember it had been 400 years without a prophet…and in those years of Babylonian mysticism and occult practices…the devil had a field day. These guys were supposed to be the ones who maintained the statutes and practices that God had set up …but instead, they went by the way of Cain.

What I am stating is this. God can’t forgive someone who makes the serpent their father…that is seed … seed of the devil…. and seed is seed …it can’t be changed.

I have met those of seed when I was a priest in that arena which I practiced in before God rescued me. You would never know them if you met them on the street, in the banking arena, religious hierarchy, the music industry, or the political arena… Well actually ….God may inform you if it was necessary …but for the most part they would appear like the Pharisees did in their time.

And if you notice Jesus did not rebuke them (cast them out) in John because He couldn’t…. devil spirits you can cast out …..seed you cannot…it’s permanent.

Of course, what you believe is up to you, in some ways it sounds…. ~out there~….but, that is what I know from both my insight into that realm and what the truth of the Word indicates.
How would you Interpret the word whosoever In

John 3:16
KJV

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
How would you Interpret the word whosoever In

John 3:16
KJV

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
In a general sense

Whosoever (pás) which could be translated all …is used biblically just as we use it today.

All with distinction

All without exception

(pás)

("each, every") means "all" in the sense of "each (every) part that applies or each every part of the whole….. viewing the whole in terms of the individual parts.

When (pás) modifies a word with the definite article it has "extensive-intensive" force …(Although not in the text) the Greek article is used as “The believing”.