Speaking in Tongues: Its Origins [Ancient and Modern], Purpose, and Power

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KarynLouise

Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I did not it was the only one, I said HE is doing it where others are attacking.
I know you didn't. I just said that because the way I read what you wrote it sounded like the pride in this movement might negate the others. It's all good.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I know you didn't. I just said that because the way I read what you wrote it sounded like the pride in this movement might negate the others. It's all good.
Not at all, it is called a testimony as I said all glory to God. it is a direct refute to those who say 1. I have a devil because I speak in tongues 2. God is not a part of any of what is seen in pentacostel churches. 3. I many times said and proclaimed God did them.

KarynLouise

Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Not at all, it is called a testimony as I said all glory to God. it is a direct refute to those who say 1. I have a devil because I speak in tongues 2. God is not a part of any of what is seen in pentacostel churches. 3. I many times said and proclaimed God did them.
That's sad that people would say those things.

CS1

May 23, 2012
That's sad that people would say those things.
Well, they have the right to say what they think. I do not think or teach at all, those who DO NOT speak in tongues are not saved or do not have the Holy Spirit.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Prophesying in an ecstatic utterance because of the outpouring of the Spirit, prophesying of things to come, prophesying as in exposing the secrets of a mans heart and causing them to believe that God is in you of a truth, prophesying on a street corner speaking like a "prophet" from God with a message for heaven or in a church service warning of a famine, and even speaking in tongues with an interpretation which is as good as prophecy according to Paul.
What do you mean by 'ecstatic utterance'? Do you think someone has to be in an heightened emotional state for their prophetic message to be true?

I've seen people prophesy or speak in tongues in what seemed like a heightened emotional state. But some of these people pray loud in English like that, too. I've also seen other prophecies given in a more natural tone of voice where there was no hint of a heightened emotional state that were incredibly accurate and detailed.

I wouldn't define speaking in tongues as 'ecstatic utterances' since that can happen without intense emotions also.

KarynLouise

Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
It's interesting to learn here that prophesying can be speaking to someone's heart or whatever and not just saying something that's going to happen. I have had people come up to me out of the blue telling me that God told them to tell me something and speaking right to what was going on in my heart, even though they didn't know me.

CS1

May 23, 2012
It's interesting to learn here that prophesying can be speaking to someone's heart or whatever and not just saying something that's going to happen. I have had people come up to me out of the blue telling me that God told them to tell me something and speaking right to what was going on in my heart, even though they didn't know me.
The 1cor chapter 12 through 14 prophesyings is actually speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to edify, comfort, and build up. it is the same Greek tranlation that means to Proclaim or preach.