Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 9, 2010
The word glossolalia means incomprehensible speech in an imaginary language! This word derives from two Greek words, glossa (language or tongue) and lalia (speech). Therefore, when you’re faking the gift of tongues in Church it’s an imaginary language!

On the other hand, a person really speaking in tongues is a form of glossolalia language spoken through him or her but has someone with the gift of "interpretation of tongues" to edify the body of Christ. So, it no one can interpret your incomprehensible speech then “shut- up!” You know you just being used by Satan and entertaining his buffoonery!

Matter of fact, the Jezebel Spirit is very good at crowd manipulation techniques based on Kingdom principles! This allows this demon to engage, control, or influence the desires of a crowd in order to snare them in a web of bondage and death like a “black widow spider!” So you know what’s operating in you, if you’re faking speaking in tongues!

P.S. I understand telling someone to “Shut-up” doesn’t reflect a sound moral code but who cares; I’m talking to the vile spirit operating in the person too! ~ Biggie (Dismantling Satan’s kingdom “brick by brick”)

“Sooo many false people not just speaking in tongue you have preachers, choir leaders shouting and cursing afterwards; some quoting bible, preaching bible, and still in sin! We got to live according to the word not talk according to it! It’s sad because so many are lost and spiritual wounded and the false leaders have caused so many to error! This is why the world in so much trouble today! God has turned his back on them but people have turned their back on God first! Time out for being fake, be real!”

S

Steve4U

I met a woman who went into a Salvation Army meeting, was converted sitting in the pew, was overwhealmed by the spirit of God, and began to speak in tongues. She had never heard it, nor heard of it before. It sure surprised her and everyone there.

I'm sorry to hear you still have fakes there where you are -- as that died out here downunder at least 10 years ago.

I don't know what's going on in other churches so I cannot inform you of the incidence of the real; ( but I think there is very, very little) at this time.

Best wishes to you all, in Christ,

S

Steve4U

You are right, by the way.

Tongues given in public meetings for edification must be interpreted. If there is no interpretation, that's disorder. Scripture is quite clear about that.

God bless you all.

S

Steve4U

(I'll just leave the scripture reference for anyone who wishes to be informed -- 1 Cor 14:28)

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
When someone is praying in tongues, it is not for anyone else to understand. It is a direct conversation between that person and God

M

MrsSunflower

^ Do you have any scripture references on that?

S

Steve4U

(I'll just leave the scripture reference for anyone who wishes to be informed - 1 Cor 14:28)

M

MrsSunflower

I did know about that one Steve4U, I was mostly asking Dude653. ;) :)

S

shekaniah

When someone is praying in tongues, it is not for anyone else to understand. It is a direct conversation between that person and God

1 Cor 14:4

1 Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation. 4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

S

Steve4U

Thank you Shekaniah.

MrsSunshine, I also was addressing Dude.

I was restating 1 Cor 14:28 for him to reconsider.

To consider that, while he is correct (about praying), it may not apply (to tongues) in all circumstances.

You see, I Cor 14:28 states "if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God."
This, and other verses (5;12-13; 26; & esp. 27) tell me there are occasions when tongues are spoken aloud for other people.

My understanding, which may or may not be correct on this matter, is that Paul is saying he who speaks in a tongue speaks toward God, it's mysterious (v2), so if it's going to be used for edification (etc) (v3), it better be clear like prophesy.

There was certainly confusion around here when tongues were allowed in meetings without interpretation 20 years ago, and a few fake messages came up in the confusion. So I somewhat sympathize with what Biggie had to say.

Thank you Shekaniah, and MrsSunshine. Love your posts.

How you going, Dude? I think 1 Cor 14:2 bares you out.

S

Steve4U

Sorry about the confusion, MrsSunshine, I should have named who I was addressing.

M

MrsSunflower

Yes, thank you Shekaniah.

I do agree about that I think it is sad how some churches are about speaking in tounges. Then I mean those churches where you hear persons speaking with a loud voice in tounges between them and God, I now wonder if some people needs to be seen or noticeed by others when doing that. It is fine if it is a language only between you and God, yet why is it so important to making it sounding as loudest as possible in church? Also; What I don't like much if when they judge you for not being much Spiritual if you don't speak in tounges. I don't know how to speaking in tounges myself, and I am baptized in the Holy Spirit. But still, it doesn't bothers me much, because God uses me and talks to me differently. And I know that God is with me, and He edifies me in ways that He knows is upbuilding and comforting for me. Also; He gives me words at times that truly blesses, upbuilds, strenghtens and comforts others. As long as God is working through us, and we feel or know that He is close to us; This is what counts most.

I have nothing against those who speaks in tounges, I am fine with this if this is their way of sensing more from God and talking with Him. As long as they don't start telling me that I am less Spiritual and that I as an Christian should know or to be speaking in tounges. God reveals Himself to us differently, and to me He has come with revelation and peace in a different way not being in tounges. And I am happy about this, so I don't want to feeling as I need to fight myself towards getting the gift of speaking in tounges nor feeling less Spiritual just because I don't speak in tounges.

M

MrsSunflower

Sorry about the confusion, MrsSunshine, I should have named who I was addressing.
Don't worry. It is all fine. I was not mad nor upset. :)

-God Bless-

S

Steve4U

Good attitude, MrsSunshine. I agree, don't pretend anything.

I'm surprised again to hear of Christians with the attitudes you spoke about. It is so basic not to judge another one's servant. I think you can be confident to think little of their opinion.

Even so, I will speak about the church/churches you have seen speaking in tongues loudly.

I will say if they are doing that in a public church meeting, isn't that where these scriptures apply that say there must be an interpreter, otherwise let him keep silent?

If it is a prayer meeting, I don't understand the use of the time. To me, there's valueable time when we come together to agree with eachother in prayer, and where time is spent edifying ourselves beforehand and little is left to pray together, time has been wasted. The edifying, loudly with tongues or otherwise, could be done at home.

May 9, 2010
Yes, thank you Shekaniah.

I now wonder if some people needs to be seen or noticed by others when doing that. It is fine if it is a language only between you and God, yet why is it so important to making it sounding as loudest as possible in church? Also; What I don't like much if when they judge you for not being much Spiritual if you don't speak in tounges. I don't know how to speaking in tounges myself, and I am baptized in the Holy Spirit. But still, it doesn't bothers me much, because God uses me and talks to me differently. And I know that God is with me, and He edifies me in ways that He knows is upbuilding and comforting for me.
I am so in agreement with you Sister. It's like this for me..... I went to a bible school when i was first saved. I was very new in Christ. In my class there were people Shouting out to the Lord, as they do in some churches. And being such a babe in Christ i asked myself, What do these people have in their relationship with the Lord that i don't, that they shout as they do and i don't? I didn't question their belief, i was questioning myself.

so i asked my Pastor about this. Not thinking little of me or putting me down, He said to me, "Maybe the Lord don't want you shouting like that."

He could of said, maybe those people were faking it. He also could of said, Your still a babe in Christ.

His words were encouraging to me. Rather then putting me down or the people i was speaking of in my class. I'm not saying that people who speak in tongues are faking it. What the post is speaking on is those who are faking it, they know who they are and not me. And it's not that because i may not speak in tongues that i'm not filled with the spirit. Maybe the Lord don't have me to speak in tongues because it is not necessarily for me too.

M

MrsSunflower

You had a very wise pastor in that bibleschool, biggiestomp. God bless him. :)

Also; I beleive many people in the bible, especially during the old testament talked more directly with God as well. So nothing wrong if some might not speak in tounges at all, we are all just different, and some of us might have a different connection with God where we don't need speaking in tounges with Him. :)

I do of course beleive that there is also power when speaking in tounges, though I see it the same way as when praying normal with words to God too. One friend of mine told about an lady that a man put a knife to her when trying to steal her purse, once she started praying in tounges he got frightened and ran away. I sure do beleive this to happening, since there is always a power over prayer. Yet, to me it has also always worked when praying with normal words to God. Same as with an neighbour lady of us; She told something that happened with her once where a muslim neighbour came at her door angry, and telling her he wanted to kill her. She said she kept looking at him and not looking away afraid of him going inside of the door and to the kitchen to get a knife, but she prayed all silently inside of her; "God help me". And then another muslim came in telling this man to come with him, and calming him down. She says that she beleives it was God behind all of this, and that this other muslim had saved her life.

Also my thoughts from what I said above comes also from experiences my husband have had with some churches, where it is a lot of focuse on speaking in tounges, and where they look down on you if you don't speak in tounges. Though there are also many Christians that doesn't judge you for being poorer in the Holy Spirit if you don't speak in tounges, still there have been some that says that I should keep on trying out finding how to speaking in tounges as well as saying that my Spiritual life will become much deeper if I know how to speaking in tounges. But I just am not interested anymore and I prefer seeing more how God can use me elsewhere, as well as how deep we grow in our relationship with God has a lot more with how much "time spendings" we have with our God, and how much we water our own given faith in Him.

M

MrsSunflower

If it is a prayer meeting, I don't understand the use of the time. To me, there's valueable time when we come together to agree with eachother in prayer, and where time is spent edifying ourselves beforehand and little is left to pray together, time has been wasted. The edifying, loudly with tongues or otherwise, could be done at home.

I am used to that speaking in tounges also happens when praying in many churches. I am not very against it, though... Since they pray for you with words and then start praying in tounges, as well as sometimes it can be given something from God to them that they tell you afterwards or during praying for you. But then they can interpret what they prayed for you to God themselves, and I do have had times where I do have got deeply moved by the Holy Spirit.

I think it all depends from situation to situation, as well as how God works through any given prayers for us or for others. But then again; There have been times that some have been praying in tounges and I don't feel nor get moved by the Spirit at all. Lately I think there have been waay too much focuse on falling in the Spirit, or shaking, laughing and even being drunk in the Spirit. And this is supposed edyfying and strenghtening Christians in the Spirit going to such conferences, thinking they'd get closer to God this way too. Whilst all in all; One get's closer to God by giving Him much own "time spendings" the most. Why do we need going to a conference often to keep on getting filled up by the Holy Spirit, when one can get as much filled up when being at home, or just plainly spending time alone with God? I do think it can be helpful and God can lead us sometimes to going to a nice Christian conference where He knows we will get refreshed in the Spirit, getting help, etc... through Him, of course, this is very possible as well. But if one needs to keep on going very often to such conferences, then I'd wonder a bit where their relationship with God truly is, if one needs to get refreshed/filled up in the Holy Spirit most when going to such conferences. Also; I have never seen it written somewhere in the bible where Christian that are filled up by the Holy Spirit will fall in the Spirit, or shaking, laughing hysterically much, etc....Yes, not everything is written in the bible. But in one conference I was at then it seemed like one wasn't open enough for the Holy Spirit if one wouldn't fall/shake or start acting weird in the Holy Spirit, and well, I was one of those who didn't experience any of this there. And God knew I was strongly seeking for Him to touch me, and I was very open for Him to come and comfort/strenghten me even before I went to this conference. God knows all about these longings I had, and yet at that conference nothing of this happened, and I felt more like a failure than one of the Holy Spirit filled crowd around me(there was even a lady acting like a chicken/hen, she was down in that position with her arms and making the chicken/hen sound, more slightly weird to seeing). Yet; All this didn't affect my own faith in God. Not at all, I still knew and know that He is faithful, and that He'd just meet my needs and longings for Him just more differently than with those from the conference.

I just like being a bit careful with what many says to being from God, as we are to also testing the fruits of what is done and said. And now; There does keeps on coming many frauds claiming to being Christian and claiming that what they are doing is from God.

S

Steve4U

Mrs Sunshine, I have been to one of those conferences too. When I was not moved as others, I in no way felt I might be a failure or less spiritual than them. God as sovereign moves as and if he wills. This is always the case (including answers to prayers) and it would be wrong if someone was saying otherwise. I'm glad your faith in God was not affected at all. You seem to have a very good grip on things.

I avoid such conferences now, myself, because, having been, I think it is a public meeting, and I cannot go in faith where I think tongues miay be spoken out without interpretation. (Verse 28 again.) I'm fairly sure if I had seen a chicken thing like you did i would have left then anyway. :)

- - -

Biggie, you were saying in your original post that if speaking out in tongues is not interpreted that shows it's fake, and I am giving this favourable consideration.