Spiritual but not religious is a cop-out says CNN writer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

STOP RIGHT THERE!

SELAH!

Before you jump in to your "It's about relationship, not religion" rote mantra, ........

JUST SELAH!

PAUSE..

Ok thank you!

First of all this article may not be by a Christian.

Second of all, if you grasp the spirit of what they're trying to say, they MAY have a point.

So before knee jerking in to the "religion relationship" mantra, listen closely to what the spirit of this person is saying. Also, keep in mind, many use "religion" in a very different way than we do. Many would still label "relationship" as "religion" simply because to them all that God stuff falls under a HUGE subheading called....RELIGION.

Now happy reading.

link-->My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Quotes
Theirs is a world of fence-sitting, not-knowingess, but not-trying-ness either. Take a stand, I say. Which one is it? A belief in God and Scripture or a commitment to the Enlightenment ideal of human-based knowledge, reason and action? Being spiritual but not religious avoids having to think too hard about having to decide.
At the heart of the spiritual but not religious attitude is an unwillingness to take a real position. Influenced by the contribution of modern science, there is a reluctance to advocate a literalist translation of the world.

Last edited:
D

djness

Madonna Kabala.....and every other holllywood actress....I'm spiritual.

U

Ugly

I, for one, have refused to say 'its a relationship, not a religion' years ago. My religion is Christianity. I am a Christian, that is the religion i follow. God, through Jesus, is the head of that religion, and i do have a relationship with them. But i get so disgusted every time someone comes seeking to learn about Christianity and when they use the word 'religion' they only 'help' anyone will give them is 10 people ranting 'its a relationship not a religion', and then they move on as if that answers all the questions a seeker has.

Sep 7, 2012
Being simply "spiritual" is a situation without conditions, without discipline, and without rules, no one to hold you responsible for what happens. A situation without safe guides who have many years of continuous discipleship but where any source can be used for inspiration regardless of where it comes.

Simply "being spiritual" looks very much like an advanced condition after many years of real spiritual discipline without the work, it is soooo American. We love those short cuts, and short term thinking.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I, for one, have refused to say 'its a relationship, not a religion' years ago. My religion is Christianity. I am a Christian, that is the religion i follow. God, through Jesus, is the head of that religion, and i do have a relationship with them. But i get so disgusted every time someone comes seeking to learn about Christianity and when they use the word 'religion' they only 'help' anyone will give them is 10 people ranting 'its a relationship not a religion', and then they move on as if that answers all the questions a seeker has.
I still hold to the belief that religion and a relationship with Christ are two differnt things entirely. Religion is going to churrch every sunday, singing in the choir, wearing a cross around your neck..ect.. There will be plenty of religious people in hell. Remember ho Jesus Christ himself rebuked the pharisees for their religious mindset?

U

Ugly

I still hold to the belief that religion and a relationship with Christ are two differnt things entirely. Religion is going to churrch every sunday, singing in the choir, wearing a cross around your neck..ect.. There will be plenty of religious people in hell. Remember ho Jesus Christ himself rebuked the pharisees for their religious mindset?
Being religious is one thing. I didn't say anything about being religious. I said that i am not going to deny that i follow the religion of Christianity and that most of these people running around saying 'relationship not religion' usually offer nothing to seekers who may call this a religion. It is a religion. Trying to deny it is some psudeo-spiritual attempt to make a person seem more spiritual and 'better' than people who claim religion. Denying your religion does not make you more spiritual, closer to God, more righteous. As i stated before, i follow the religion of Christianity, and God and Jesus guide that religion. There's nothing 'religious' about that.

Sep 7, 2012
"Re ligio" comes to us from the Latin and its meaning is to re-connect. It is the word source for religion. Religion more than anything is a community of people that share a common experience. Is that so bad? That is what happened for the early 1st century church and sadly what has happened is that churches have become more like corporations with Roberts rules of Order more important than the core experience. But that is not real religion that is just what it has become.