I have understood that the "gift" is for the one who needs it (the sick, discouraged, etc.) and we are only the vessel that the Holy Spirit uses to send that gift. I have been used in just about all of them because I was open and available and the person needed it. Most of my ministry has been in the ministering of healing, and I keep my spirit aware of what the Holy Spirit wishes to do. Sometimes I feel a strong anointing on my hands, but sometimes not. Sometimes it is just a strong inner faith that the Lord wants to heal them. And so I minister (not intercede) that healing in the name of Jesus.
When it comes to words of prophecy, I usually get thoughts that are so "not of me" and by faith (without feeling) I bring those words.
I think a lot of Christians are being used in gifts without them even knowing it. It is those times you just sense the right edifying or instructive words to say. Or when you are praying for someone sick, and just "know" something is happening.