Star Trek Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Really?! That's surprising. Do recall what reasons he gave? I suppose in the comic if things changed enough, he might have a good reason.
I do not recall. I just know that it reflects the enlightened, progressive mindset of the idiots writing the stories.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
TNG was the best show ever made.
Eh... It had some great episodes ("Tapestry", "The Nth Degree", "Chain of Command", etc.), but it was not my favorite Star Trek series. I think I still like TOS the most, but it certainly had its bad moments ("The Savage Curtain", e.g.).

What do you all think of the updated VFX for the original series? I'm a bit iffy on them. For example, I think the planets certainly look better, but as a former VFX artist, I believe those planets could still have been better. I believe I could've done a better job. But, there are some good moments, like the shots involving starships, space battles, etc. I particularly like "The Enterprise Incident", in which we see an original Roman warship in the mix.

Apr 11, 2024
I do not recall. I just know that it reflects the enlightened, progressive mindset of the idiots writing the stories.
As a character, Superman has never been strictly nationalistic. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were two Jewish kids from Cleveland, who originally envisioned him as a homeless vagrant given powers by a mad scientist. That story was called "The Reign of the Superman", first published in January of 1933. The character's origins and collection of abilities were refined a few times, before the most well-known iteration was printed in Action Comics #1, from June of 1938. The popular mantra of "truth, justice, and the American way" originally contained the first two words only - the latter was added for a radio program in 1940, and removed after the end of World War II. The full phrase was reinstated for the 1950s George Reeves TV show, but it wasn't until the 1978 film that the hero used it again.

In an early episode of the recent series, “Superman & Lois”, the reporter herself tries to find out where Superman’s spaceship landed. When Lois asks him what he stands for he states “Truth. Justice.” Lois adds, “The American Way?” He laughs and responds, “I think someone’s just trying to get me to admit I was raised here.” In the fourth live-action film from 1987, Christopher Reeve's version gives a speech at one point, saying "I just wish you could all see the Earth the way that I see it. Because when you really look at it, it's just one world."

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
Eh... It had some great episodes ("Tapestry", "The Nth Degree", "Chain of Command", etc.), but it was not my favorite Star Trek series. I think I still like TOS the most, but it certainly had its bad moments ("The Savage Curtain", e.g.).

What do you all think of the updated VFX for the original series? I'm a bit iffy on them. For example, I think the planets certainly look better, but as a former VFX artist, I believe those planets could still have been better. I believe I could've done a better job. But, there are some good moments, like the shots involving starships, space battles, etc. I particularly like "The Enterprise Incident", in which we see an original Roman warship in the mix.
I agree with you, some of the planets with the original FX were a bit dark and muddy compared to the new FX. But otherwise, I like the original FX. Really, I don't think they were at all necessary, but I like the series was remastered in HD. I would imagine most of the space battle look better or more dynamic with the new, but I'm not sure I've seen all the new versions. I'll have to checkout the Enterprise Incident.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
As a character, Superman has never been strictly nationalistic. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were two Jewish kids from Cleveland, who originally envisioned him as a homeless vagrant given powers by a mad scientist. That story was called "The Reign of the Superman", first published in January of 1933. The character's origins and collection of abilities were refined a few times, before the most well-known iteration was printed in Action Comics #1, from June of 1938. The popular mantra of "truth, justice, and the American way" originally contained the first two words only - the latter was added for a radio program in 1940, and removed after the end of World War II. The full phrase was reinstated for the 1950s George Reeves TV show, but it wasn't until the 1978 film that the hero used it again.

In an early episode of the recent series, “Superman & Lois”, the reporter herself tries to find out where Superman’s spaceship landed. When Lois asks him what he stands for he states “Truth. Justice.” Lois adds, “The American Way?” He laughs and responds, “I think someone’s just trying to get me to admit I was raised here.” In the fourth live-action film from 1987, Christopher Reeve's version gives a speech at one point, saying "I just wish you could all see the Earth the way that I see it. Because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
Yeah... I hear what you're saying, but I'm not buying that as the writers' intent. This happened recently, amidst all the anti-Americanism, anti-conservatism, etc. It's a reflection of that. Next thing, he'll come out as a homosexual and who identifies as a black woman.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I agree with you, some of the planets with the original FX were a bit dark and muddy compared to the new FX. But otherwise, I like the original FX. Really, I don't think they were at all necessary, but I like the series was remastered in HD. I would imagine most of the space battle look better or more dynamic with the new, but I'm not sure I've seen all the new versions. I'll have to checkout the Enterprise Incident.
Yeah... things are a bit improved. The movement of the Enterprise alone is certainly improved.

Apr 11, 2024
Yeah... I hear what you're saying, but I'm not buying that as the writers' intent. This happened recently, amidst all the anti-Americanism, anti-conservatism, etc. It's a reflection of that. Next thing, he'll come out as a homosexual and who identifies as a black woman.
Everything I told you came from sources I looked up online, to confirm what DC Comics and Warner Bros. in general had done with the character. Many other adaptations of the Superman story never used the full phrase - "Lois & Clark", "Smallville", the 2006 film "Superman Returns"...none of them used the "American Way" segment. There was also a different version used in a 1948 serial production, spoken as "Truth, Tolerance, and Justice". Action Comics Vol. 1 #900, from June 2011, is the issue where he (in)famously gives up his citizenship. But there's a quote in the actual issue that clarifies his reasons for such a choice, in the context of the story...

"I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship. I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy. "Truth, justice, and the American way - it's not enough anymore. The world’s too small, too connected."

That said, I also came across this image, on DC's actual website. Its from a school book cover used in 1949, distributed to schools by the Institute for American Democracy, an offshoot of the Anti-Defamation League. The artwork is assumed to be from artist Wayne Boring, but origin of the message's text itself remains unknown. So clearly, both positions have been held at different points in history - its not a one-sided problem.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Everything I told you came from sources I looked up online, to confirm what DC Comics and Warner Bros. in general had done with the character. Many other adaptations of the Superman story never used the full phrase - "Lois & Clark", "Smallville", the 2006 film "Superman Returns"...none of them used the "American Way" segment. There was also a different version used in a 1948 serial production, spoken as "Truth, Tolerance, and Justice". Action Comics Vol. 1 #900, from June 2011, is the issue where he (in)famously gives up his citizenship. But there's a quote in the actual issue that clarifies his reasons for such a choice, in the context of the story...

"I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship. I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy. "Truth, justice, and the American way - it's not enough anymore. The world’s too small, too connected."

That said, I also came across this image, on DC's actual website. Its from a school book cover used in 1949, distributed to schools by the Institute for American Democracy, an offshoot of the Anti-Defamation League. The artwork is assumed to be from artist Wayne Boring, but origin of the message's text itself remains unknown. So clearly, both positions have been held at different points in history - its not a one-sided problem.

I didn't mean to hit an oil gusher here. All I said was the pro-american Superman became a globalist Superman. This ties in the with the intensifying rise of anti-Americanism and pro-one-world-ism that we've been seeing for decades, but that has intensified since 9/11. In the 50s it was "... and the American way." In the late 70s, that became something to be shunned. And, he renounced his American citizenship. I'm not going to gloss over that. Sorry, but I see a decay in the Superman that I've known. (Although I did kind of enjoy the Man of Steel Superman.)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
At the end of the day Superman is a product. Like any product, the ones who make it will make changes if they think the changes will make it sell better.

If you want to get upset about a fictional character, think about poor Captain America. His future is looking pretty grim!

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
Sadly, this is about as clean as I can get it at the moment. I've been renting the same spot in my roommate's house since 2018, and when I moved in I had many boxes of stuff from when I lived in Dallas. Now, after all this time, most of that stuff is still boxed up - I just don't have the space to put it anywhere. If I were to turn the webcam to my left, you'd see how absolutely insane my bed has become. I didn't have anywhere to put stuff, so it wound up on the bed, and I started sleeping in the living room.
Have you seen most of the Star Trek Original Series and Next Gen episodes?

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ

You win. Can we move on? I don't care about this as much as you seem to.

Apr 11, 2024
Cool! We've been doing a little survey in this thread. What would be your Top 5 TNG episodes?
I can't nail it down to just five for the whole series, but I did make a list of ones I really liked per season, for another website. Here they are...

Season 1 - "Encounter at Farpoint", "Where No One Has Gone Before", "Hide and Q", "Haven"
Season 2 - "Elementary, Dear Data", "The Outrageous Okona", "The Measure of a Man"
Season 3 - "Deja Q", "Yesterday's Enterprise", "The Offspring", "Sins of the Father", "Sarek"
Season 4 - "Brothers", "Remember Me", "The Drumhead"
Season 5 - "Cause and Effect", "I, Borg"
Season 6 - "A Fistful of Datas", "Lessons"
Season 7 - "Inheritance", "Thine Own Self"

As you can probably tell, some of those episodes are Data-centric, but that's completely intentional. He remains my favorite character of the whole cast, and I got to meet Brent Spiner in 2008. He has a great personality and a somewhat-sarcastic sense of humor.