Staying at home mom vs working ouside of home???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

naomibelieves

According to Psalms 113:9, a mother should be happily accepting God’s given to her duty to stay at home, and care for her family. A wife should not in other words choose to work outside of home.

I have a difficult situation then. I was a nursing student, last year I had to give it up, because of some family emergency situation. Is it bad that I want to go back to school, get my BS in nursing and start working outside of home? Would it mean going against God’s will?

Thank you,
God bless!

G

greatkraw

According to Psalms 113:9, a mother should be happily accepting God’s given to her duty to stay at home, and care for her family. A wife should not in other words choose to work outside of home.

I have a difficult situation then. I was a nursing student, last year I had to give it up, because of some family emergency situation. Is it bad that I want to go back to school, get my BS in nursing and start working outside of home? Would it mean going against God’s will?

Thank you,
God bless!
Prov 31:10Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.

11The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

12She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

13She seeketh wool and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

14She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.

15She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household and a portion to her maidens.

16She considereth a field and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

17She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

18She perceiveth that her merchandise is good; her candle goeth not out by night.

19She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

21She is not afraid of the snow for her household, for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.

23Her husband is known at the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

24She maketh fine linen and selleth it, and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

25Strength and honor are her clothing, and she shall rejoice in time to come.

26She openeth her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.

27She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

28Her children arise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her:

29"Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all."

30Favor is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman who feareth the LORD, she shall be praised!
31Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her at the gates.

Acts 16:14And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God, heard us; and the Lord opened her heart to give heed unto the things which were spoken by Paul.

W

Wootie

I think if things were like they were in the days of old-we women would just stay home. But because of the way mankind has screwed everything up, we gotta work now & take care of the kids & take care of the home & take care of our husbands & etc. But you know the nice things about it???? God is right there with us doing it all:)

May 21, 2009
The seller of purple. She worked outside of the home. We don't live in the days of old. We live in this world today and things cost all kinds of money. A home years ago cost 20 thousand dollars. That same home today cost 100 thousand. Do what you need to do with Gods blessings.

K

kiwi_OT

I agree with loveschild. Obviously things are hard as we are the childbearing of the two sexes and that pregnancy (from what Ive been lectured by my mother) is a curveball from a career with every child. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a working mother. As we're all striving to work for Gods kingdom, Im sure that task will always lead us outside the home. I dont think the bible endorses either one over the other. Its more a matter of do what you feel passionately called to do and do it in Gods name whether you highly desire to be a stay at home mom or an accountant or whatever. Just do it for God and your family (and for fun as well).
God bless!

K

kiwi_OT

In answer to your question too, I think what you desire is a fantastic dream. There is absolutely nothing wrong with serving in your community as a working nurse. My mum is a nurse and she loves it! And it has not detained her at all from being a wonderful mother. Just be aware of shift work though which nurses have to do. I know that has put a damper on my mothers social life (connect groups) within the church as her schedule always changes, and between that and raising us she could only manage church and the occasional group and not serve as much as she wanted to.

You would be helping to save lives and also I think every woman needs intellectual work and time to be in an adult environment away from kids and husband every now and then to keep yourself sane. Go for it!

May 21, 2009
My daughter was actually going to school to be nurse. Then she had another baby. Now she has a make up business on line. She is a stay at home mom and working from home. Its not easy. But God gives her the grace. She is expecting again. I can't wait for my new grandbaby.

N

naomibelieves

You know what,

I absolutely agree with you that whatever you do, you need to feel the presence of God. In the beginning God created... And HE creates perfect things, therefore, I ask HIM each time i want to start something new, to bless me and have HIM create it for me. This way i know i will have HIS support.

Blessings,
Naomi

May 21, 2009
My daughter told the Lord that what ever she made she would give him 15%. She is doing very well. The Lord blesses her and she is close to him.
He will be right there with you.

I

iliveforHim

It breaks my heart to leave my children in order to go to work...but it needs to be done. I wish I could find something stable and profitable that I could do from home, that would pay all of our bills...I don't want to be rich, I just want to have enough to survive and pay back my debts...
I recently asked God: "Why have you blessed me with the gift of motherhood, but make it financially impossible for me to stay home to raise them?"(yes, I do whine alot to Him)...I decided to work from home about four years ago, and the financial hit caused us to loose our house...but my kids can look back and think, "Mom used to be there when we needed her..." Our house was just a box with windows, only a material object...a hard lesson I had to learn...

K

karuna

I think this verse is more about God's blessings to the barren woman who has been hoping for children, not a statement that she shouldn't have a career:

He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD.

Feb 27, 2007
I was a CAIB designated insurance broker workaholic b4 I had my kids. I fully expected to be the mom who went back to work immediately if not sooner... until I laid eyes upon the face that would forever change my life. In that instant life changed & became about serving these kids and raising them up. I decided to put it in Gods hands financially & so far we've been blessed in that I can stay home (i also do books for our home based business) I realize that not all are able to do this and if I had to I would absolutely go back to work (I miss it some days) I'd love to be able to work say from 1pm to 3pm wednesdays & thursdays... cant seem to find that though lol! I do think being a stay at home mom has blessed my marriage too as i'm focused on serving my family and how can that not bless them! the wife of nobel charactor is my fav. proverb... quite the achievment to strive for but i warn ya'all... its a mothers expectation & pretty much impossible! cant hurt to try though lol!

N

naomibelieves

The story of iliveforHIM broke my heart. But it is awesome that you look at the situation and see the good side of it, which is the precious moments when you were there for your kids and your family.

Blessings!

I

iliveforHim

The story of iliveforHIM broke my heart. But it is awesome that you look at the situation and see the good side of it, which is the precious moments when you were there for your kids and your family.

Blessings!

Thanks Naomi,

Still being taught and learning plenty of hard lessons...I'm hanging in there, though...I'm grateful I have God in my life, He tends to keep me from going loopy.

:)

DinoDillinger

Jul 28, 2009
I agree with loveschild. Obviously things are hard as we are the childbearing of the two sexes and that pregnancy (from what Ive been lectured by my mother) is a curveball from a career with every child. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a working mother. As we're all striving to work for Gods kingdom, Im sure that task will always lead us outside the home. I dont think the bible endorses either one over the other. Its more a matter of do what you feel passionately called to do and do it in Gods name whether you highly desire to be a stay at home mom or an accountant or whatever. Just do it for God and your family (and for fun as well).
God bless!

What about your children? I mean I assume that you don't have any yet, and I know I probably will be looked at as a caveman and a sexist by some for posting this but I haven't let that stop me yet so....:)

The curse...

Genesis 3:16-19

To the woman He said:
“I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception;
In pain you shall bring forth children;
Your desire shall be for your husband,
And he shall rule over you.”
17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:
“ Cursed is the ground for your sake;
In toil you shall eat of it
All the days of your life.

18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
And you shall eat the herb of the field. 19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
Till you return to the ground,
For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are,
And to dust you shall return.”

I will say that if a woman needs to work to provide for neccesity to live then you need to work. But if you want to work for fun, or pride, or to buy nice fancy cars and big screen tv's and so you can have money to burn for fun then in my opinion you are selling your family for vanity. That is putting luxeries above the needs of your children and husband.

Why do you want our curse anyways?

Also the idea that you need to be in the work force to serve God is actually very offensive. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but it was implied. Even if you don't have children yet, the free time you have from that can in my opinion be better spent serving the body of Christ free of charge. Before feminism came around housewives still had lives, they raised their kids the right way(a service to the Lord) and got out the house to do things with other housewives.

To the original poster, my advice is, what are your motivations for doing this? Does your family actually need your income? Are you willing to neglect your kids so you can do what you want to?

Do not be conformed to the world but transformed by the renewing of your mind.

To stay at home and raise a family is an honorable thing, let no one convince you otherwise.

Feb 27, 2007
:eek: hating the fact that I'm agreeing with alot that you are saying Dino!

Nov 12, 2009
It`s one thing to work outside of the home because you have to pay your day to day living expenses. It`s entirely different if you`re doing it purely for monetary gain, which falls into the covet category. You will never get your time lost with your kids back.