Stir-Fry

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
Stir fry cooking can be simple, fast, and wonderful. And it can sometimes not be good, too. Here are some tips:

A steel wok is best. It will stand up to the high heat required, and if you wipe it rather than scrub, it will build up a solid black coating or patina so food does not stick. Cook veggies and meat at a very high heat, tossing them often.

Have all ingredients ready and by the stove before you begin to cook. You will add the veggie that takes the longest to cook first.

Use oil that has a low burn point such as peanut oil. When the oil is hot, add the aromatics you choose such as ginger, garlic, onion, chili, or/and peppercorns. Be careful not to burn these. Some should be removed when they have released their fragrance to the oil, such as garlic that burns easily.

Cut the meat into thin long pieces. It is best to marinate meat 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Marinate for meat: 2 TBS soy sauce, ½ teas. Brown sugar, 1 ½ teas. Cornstarch, 1 teas. oil. Sesame oil adds a nice flavor.

Stir-fry the vegetables first, when almost done put them aside. You have to smell, look and taste to cook these, often a little water needs to be added to the wok and a lid to steam them so they are properly done. They should all be tender crisp. Wipe out wok, add oil and heat again. Stir-fry the meat you have chosen. When it is almost done, add the veggies back to the wok.

Add whatever sauce you like. Here is one to make yourself: 1 TBS rice wine or dry sherry, 2 teas brown sugar, 2 teas soy sauce, 1 ½ teas hoisin sauce, ½ teas sesame oil.

Almost all vegetables are wonderful in stir-fry except potatoes. The meat can be beef, chicken, veal, or pork.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks! I've never got the hang of stir-frying so I'll try your suggestions :)

Aug 25, 2012
i love stir fry too, you can be pretty creative with it! thanks!

von1

Apr 22, 2010
I love stir-fry i never have much luck with it. When i make it always taste so bland no flavor to it. I don't have a wok, i use a black iron frying pan.

Oct 31, 2011
=von1; I love stir-fry i never have much luck with it. When i make it always taste so bland no flavor to it. I don't have a wok, i use a black iron frying pan
You can flavor the oil you start the stir fry with by lightly browning garlic and ginger root in it. I often take these out before I add the rest so I am sure they don’t burn. The Orientals have great flavorings. Using fish sauce adds the salty taste and something more. With soy sauce, too, you don’t need salt.

I like the wok because I can pull food that needs lower heat up the side, then leave what needs higher heat in the bottom, but any pan works. The pan that didn’t work for me was the electric wok, it would not get hot enough.