Storms uncover 7,500-year-old ‘drowned forest’ on Ireland’s west coast

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tintin

A forest that's older than the whole of creation? That's very clever!

“These trees are in their original growth position and hadn’t keeled over, which would suggest that they died quite quickly, perhaps in a quite rapid sea level rise,” said Prof Williams.

Sounds to me like the Great Flood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2014
Off topic
***improper image deleted****

sorry, I couldn't resist :cool:
I hope this does not belong under infringement and if so, I apologize in advance ...

Last edited by a moderator:

raf

Sep 26, 2009

“These trees are in their original growth position and hadn’t keeled over, which would suggest that they died quite quickly, perhaps in a quite rapid sea level rise,” said Prof Williams.

But the earth is millions of years old, if not billions. lol

Dec 18, 2013

Heh I was thinking same thing on reading it. Naturally though, I just disregard their dating of it because lol they never get the date right anyways. Firstly we know the carbon dating is wildly inaccurate. And secondly even with the wildly inaccurate cabon dating the headline is somewhat misleading as the article shows it has a widely variable date.

"He has found tree stumps in south Mayo and Clare, as well as Galway, which have been carbon dated to between 5,200 and 7,400 years ago."

Regardless of date though, let's think of dating in terms of events. This forest got wiped out ere long ago Got wiped out fast. Seems like it got wiped out by a lot of water.

Yup, sounds like a Great Flood to me.

EDIT: Not trying to sound too crabby though because this is a sweet article and find though for sure!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2013

I agree and they missed the (carbon dating by about 2500 years or so off the hip) HAH!

Mar 1, 2012
Heh I was thinking same thing on reading it. Naturally though, I just disregard their dating of it because lol they never get the date right anyways. Firstly we know the carbon dating is wildly inaccurate. And secondly even with the wildly inaccurate cabon dating the headline is somewhat misleading as the article shows it has a widely variable date.

"He has found tree stumps in south Mayo and Clare, as well as Galway, which have been carbon dated to between 5,200 and 7,400 years ago."

Regardless of date though, let's think of dating in terms of events. This forest got wiped out ere long ago Got wiped out fast. Seems like it got wiped out by a lot of water.

Yup, sounds like a Great Flood to me.

EDIT: Not trying to sound too crabby though because this is a sweet article and find though for sure!
Carbon dating WAS inaccurate 30 years ago.

Its very accurate now.

Very

Dec 18, 2013
Carbon dating WAS inaccurate 30 years ago.

Its very accurate now.

Very
Ya between 5,200 and 7,400 sounds real accurate lol.

That's only a margin of error of 2,200 years. Not much right? Oh wait, that's like the time between the Roman Republic to Now.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Ya between 5,200 and 7,400 sounds real accurate lol.
Use a bit of commonsense!

The range of ages of tree stumps found was from 5200 to 7400 years old!

Let me explain it in an even simpler way, some tree stumps were 5200 years old, some older at 7400 years and some in between these two figures!

Now, does that help dear boy!

Mar 25, 2014
If you actually read the article, Ireland's west coast was subject to tidal rises every year, it sits right on the Atlantic ocean. It's due to tidal influence, not a massive worldwide flood. It also happened before the formation of the bay, meaning these trees were further out towards sea as the cliffs became lower.

2+2 does not equal 5.

And if you accept carbon dating for these trees, you're gonna have to accept it for the millions of years old things we've found.

Last edited: