Strictly Over 50s Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Susanna

Christmas was like the boss of both 4th of July and Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day and everything really when I was six years old😁.
Oh, I forgot that I said I would not post anything in this geezer thread😄😁.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
This may become my favorite post on here, since I am in that 50s club. I have been reading each one of your posts on here and can relate to what your saying. Thanks I don't feel so alone lol

M

morefaithrequired

From age 25 to 30 i was a fitness fanatic.
cycling
swimming
aerobics
gym
running.
I remember doing a 14km run in about an hour.
Not a world class time but just acsign of good fitness.

M

morefaithrequired

i remember reading a book on meditative running. Listenung to the rhythm of breathing and feet hitting the pavement.
I did reach a high meditative state often. i miss that.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
From age 25 to 30 i was a fitness fanatic.
cycling
swimming
aerobics
gym
running.
I remember doing a 14km run in about an hour.
Not a world class time but just acsign of good fitness.
I use to do a lot of jogging back when I was in my 20s. I forgot about the cycling, when I was in college I rode bike to school.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Yesterday I got my first senior's discount and it was ironic. I was in line at Michael's Arts and Crafts, with my 40% off coupon, and the clerk let me know that because the item already had a small discount, the coupon would not apply to that item. She said I could use it with the one other item, a .73 cent package of embroidery floss. She then said, "It is a shame you are not a senior yet as there is a 10% discount. I am sure you are not 55 years old. " I looked at her and said that yes, a couple of weeks ago, I turned 55. That increased my discount to .37 cents on the whole bill. I couldn't wait to get home and tell my mom the story.
After she stopped protesting that she couldn't possibly have a senior for a daughter, she started laughing. She said, "Remember when you were a teen and worked at the deli and bakery? Remember what you used to say to the seniors so that you could give them the discount without them being offended? Well ma'am that will be $5, if you were a senior it would have been $4.50. You are? I would have never guessed. " Yes mother. I now see many future discussion with many clever clerks and waiters/waitresses to come. Oy.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Oh, I forgot that I said I would not post anything in this geezer thread😄😁.
Come sit by the fire and warm your bones. I am sure I have a spare lap afghan around here somewhere. Just move one of the 10 cats. I'm sure you'll find one draped over the gold and brown floral couch. (probably both cat and blanket):)

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
Our bathroom basin hot water tap screeches. Its really high pitched !! The more we turn it on the louder it screeches.
But im not good with wrenches. do i have to call the plumber?
but he will cost 200 bucks!
Lot's of do it yourself on You Tube .. It could be as simple as cutting your water off removing the little plastic cap , unscrewing the nut/stem with channel locks and replacing it or even just the seal at the bottom with a Phillips screwdriver

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Yesterday I got my first senior's discount and it was ironic. I was in line at Michael's Arts and Crafts, with my 40% off coupon, and the clerk let me know that because the item already had a small discount, the coupon would not apply to that item. She said I could use it with the one other item, a .73 cent package of embroidery floss. She then said, "It is a shame you are not a senior yet as there is a 10% discount. I am sure you are not 55 years old. " I looked at her and said that yes, a couple of weeks ago, I turned 55. That increased my discount to .37 cents on the whole bill. I couldn't wait to get home and tell my mom the story.
After she stopped protesting that she couldn't possibly have a senior for a daughter, she started laughing. She said, "Remember when you were a teen and worked at the deli and bakery? Remember what you used to say to the seniors so that you could give them the discount without them being offended? Well ma'am that will be $5, if you were a senior it would have been $4.50. You are? I would have never guessed. " Yes mother. I now see many future discussion with many clever clerks and waiters/waitresses to come. Oy.
I been getting senior discounts, for years without even asking. I didn't know what sc on my ticket meant until I ask the clerk, I just said ok.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
I see what kids today are into, the high tech gadgets they take for granted, and all the new toys out for Christmas season and think back to what my age group thought was "high tech". Calculators, electric typewriters, push button phones and Light Brite. :LOL:

I can remember the black and white televisions, how heavy they were took 2 men to move a 19 inch. Now the ones today are so light weight, and you need a book to operate it lol

M

morefaithrequired

monday morning workplace in 70s/80s.
"did you see 60 minutes last night?"
now everyone is fragmented and has less in common.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
As soon as I turn 55 in 13 months, I will be sure to take advantage of the 55 rate plan with T-Mobile. :D

von1

Apr 22, 2010
This was a teenage flash back, in my town the big thing to do on the weekend was ride around the mall. How many of you all did that as big weekend thing to do. They would so many cars and trucks going around the mall until they come to a stand still.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I can remember the black and white televisions, how heavy they were took 2 men to move a 19 inch. Now the ones today are so light weight, and you need a book to operate it lol
I loved light
I see what kids today are into, the high tech gadgets they take for granted, and all the new toys out for Christmas season and think back to what my age group thought was "high tech". Calculators, electric typewriters, push button phones and Light Brite. :LOL:

I loved Light Brite! I probably nuked myself play with that thing for hours. It would definitely heat up.

M

morefaithrequired

This was a teenage flash back, in my town the big thing to do on the weekend was ride around the mall. How many of you all did that as big weekend thing to do. They would so many cars and trucks going around the mall until they come to a stand still.
on your bicycle?
teens do skateboards at my local mall

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
on your bicycle?
teens do skateboards at my local mall
in 1977 I was 11....in grade 6. The big thing my friends and I did was bike to the local mall and bum around most of the day. We'd buy day old donuts, then hit up the recruitment centres and come home with loads of army/navy/af/marine posters and stuff for our rooms.
Even though Charlie's Angels and Jill (Farrah) had made skateboarding all the rage, it never caught on with me or my friends...

Just found this clip....interesting that Wonder Woman needs a helmet but Jill doesn't wear one:

M

morefaithrequired

in 1977 I was 11....in grade 6. The big thing my friends and I did was bike to the local mall and bum around most of the day. We'd buy day old donuts, then hit up the recruitment centres and come home with loads of army/navy/af/marine posters and stuff for our rooms.
Even though Charlie's Angels and Jill (Farrah) had made skateboarding all the rage, it never caught on with me or my friends...

Just found this clip....interesting that Wonder Woman needs a helmet but Jill doesn't wear one:

Now I know why I didnt watch Charlies Angels. Still those boobs have some merit. (sorry for decidedly sexist comment)

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Now I know why I didnt watch Charlies Angels. Still those boobs have some merit. (sorry for decidedly sexist comment)
Given that this is the 50 something thread, there's a great song that was on country radio some years back....checked it out for the first time on youtube, I'd never seen the video. So many touchpoints from the 70s and 80s:

M

morefaithrequired

the rubiks cube
now that brings back memories.
i bought the book and solved it. meanwhile kids more than half my age could almost do it blindfolded and fast!!