Stuck in a timewarp

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
just trying to think of the sitcoms that were prevalent in the 80-90swhen I was growing up.

The Cosby Show
Family Ties
Full House
Alf
Roseanne
Married with Children
The Golden Girls
The Simpsons
Home Improvement
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Growing Pains
The Nanny

most of those sitcoms revolved around a family and took place in their living rooms. Not all the wives were housewives. I recall Mrs Huxtable was a lawyer and Mr Huxtable was a doctor (in the cosby Show)

Though Desperate Housewives definetley they were all housewives in that one! Though in that one the house looked like mansions.

I dont know if we even had tv in the 50s in nz? I do recall Grease the musical was set in the 50s. Most of what I know of the 50s is through the music that Dad plays over and over on his 45s. 45s were a teen collectable, like I dont know...teletubbies or cabbage patch dolls were for 80-90s kids

Today I am not sure what everyone is collecting. Maybe lego?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
few men work in foundries these days.
In the 50s nz most working men worked on the wharfs (wharfies) or freezing works or in forestry or on farms and orchards. Or they were shopkeepers.

if they wanted a really good job they could drive trams thats what my Dad wanted to do, rather than work for the newspaper. In those days, it was real printing presses with the metal letters...no computers then.

Or they could helm the ferries before the harbour bridge was built.

Jobs have changed over the years and automation has made things a lot more technical. But womens work has always been dismissed and paid practically nothing..some housewives never got a cent. ANd they had to beg for allowances if their husbands were stingy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont understand why men would jeopardise their marriages by being unfaithful...that is a lot of reason why there is so much divorce...at least all the divorcees I know was for that reason.
while in the 50s so many married young, by the time of the 60s and 70s everyone was getting divorces because of all the sleeping around in the 60s!

I supoose they reasoned if they could afford one wife they could afford a mistress too. I dont really get it. Most wives wouldnt have been sleeping around because they had no opportunity, they stayed home. But men who worked and went away (maybe for business) often sneaked around.

I have heard so many stories where the wife was the last to know

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I listened to some music from year 2000 onwards like the top ten songs of every year...I didnt recognise much since I pretty much stopped buying music in the late 1990s (everything went digital...record stores closed etc) the most i recongnise was from the 80s and 90s.

I notice now that some radio stations just only play a certain era of music and Kmart stores are only playing 80music when people go shopping as they are trying to get in with the customers that have the most money.

lol
so you could be shopping for an air fryer and get blasted with Madonna

I recall I worked in an op shop and they played music it was an oldies station and I swear every time I worked I heard the exact same song over and over. It was called 'they built this city on rock and roll' and it drove me nuts because I didnt know what city they were even talking/singing about.

Certainly not my city! my city was built on volcanoes, so they were only partly right. More like it was built on lava fields.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh it was about LA or San Francisco
https://www.songfacts.com/facts/starship/we-built-this-city

A lot of 80s music was choruses repeating the same line over and over till fade out.
The one good thing about 50s songs was they were mostly mericfully short, like 2 minutes

but later music can go on for over 4 minutes. By the time they've repeated every lyric, you are tearing your hair out.