Suppers together, family life, and drug abuse prevention

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
My cousin lives a long way out in the country, she uses her home to care for children who have abused drugs or been in trouble. The state likes to use her home because it is a long ways for kids to walk to get to town and trouble. Over the years she has had over 200 kids in her home.

The one thing she finds true of most every one of these kids is that they are not used to sitting down to eat together. They all want to simply open the frig for a bite here and there when they are hungry. She feels the best drug prevention program our world could have would be around the supper table with it's sharing, fun, and love.

Could drug abuse prevention be this simple?

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
probably not, though it wouldnt hurt to try.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
i think, that eating together is very usefull. It helps to bind a famlie (or friends, tommmates, partners) together.
You have a time to talk about everything interesting or awfull and a way to find closeness and see the love
of once parents and/or siblings toward you.

T

Tearose84

I think sitting around the table for meals draws us closer together and that kind of attention and unity is very good for these children.

May 9, 2012
It really just depends on the individual. I've known plenty people who don't eat around the table and aren't into drugs at all. I've known people who grew up eating around the table or in living rooms with their families and are into drugs.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
At home we never did dinner together as a family but that's because my parents were each working two jobs to provide for the home so it was tough being all together. I guess part of me regrets it but understands the reasons why. Although that has not impacted my relationship with my folks too much I mean I can still sit down with them and have a great conversation not as son to parents but as friends which is very nice. I do plan however one day (God Willing of course) I have kids I would like to have dinners together and develop a great relationship that yea im their parent but I am also there for them as a friend or someone to talk to if they need me.

In short, I think dinners can help developing a good relationship within the family but not having it does not necessarily mean a troubled child...I guess what I am saying is that in my eyes it wouldn't hurt. :)

B

BishopSEH

Children spell love T I M E. We all have to eat and whenever possible it should be as a family. Eating dinner together is a chance to catch up with what is going on with each other and where drugs are concerned meal time is telling. Certain drugs increase the appetite but most significantly reduce it. Especially with boys dinner time can show a multitude of issues.

Mostly though, dinner should a a family thing. The days where mom slaved over a stove and did all the work is of a bygone age. Today more and more mom's are in the workforce and need help. The table needs to be set. Someone can make a salad, even if its just moving it from a bag to a bowl(s). Someone else can help with the prep work for homemade meals. But even tossing something in the microwave is a big help.

After dinner clean up can also be done as a family. Instead of one person spending an hour clearing and cleaning and drying and putting away, the whole family can take an hour chore and turn it into a teamwork exercise that is done in ten minutes. Yes there is great value in sharing a meal, especially dinner.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

N

Nancyer

Both my parents worked full time from when I went into 3rd grade. But we grew up eating dinner as a family. Mom, dad, my sister, grandmother (maternal) and me. Mom made dinner after work, dished up everyone's plate and the topic of discussion was always "What did you do in school today? What did you learn? Do you have any homework?" Rule was you ate whatever mom put on your plate, period. No picky eaters allowed. And my sister and I did the dishes every night, once we were old enough;washed, dried and put away, no dishwasher. Mom hated dishes in the sink.

Even though mom & dad worked full time (Dad worked evenings as well, so he worked more like 60+ hours a week) I never once felt deprived of their company or neglected because we knew we could go to them anytime with any question.

I think kids know that parents have to work but as long as when they aren't working they focus on the family and do it because they want to, then kids are ok. I'm not saying every kid in every household, but generally speaking.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Eating a sit-down meal with people is a great way to build positive relationships. Plus, it's healthier to eat on a regular schedule...not always snacking. Doing the preparation and the cleanup together is nice too. But NO tv or radio should be on.

My dad always insisted on watching the news during dinner. To me this was an obvious message..."I'm more interested in what's going on in the world than I am about what's going on in your life". Very hurtful.

I

intercessorginger

I don't think so, but it's a nice thought.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
Eating a sit-down meal with people is a great way to build positive relationships. Plus, it's healthier to eat on a regular schedule...not always snacking. Doing the preparation and the cleanup together is nice too. But NO tv or radio should be on.

My dad always insisted on watching the news during dinner. To me this was an obvious message..."I'm more interested in what's going on in the world than I am about what's going on in your life". Very hurtful.
I loved the family meals we had at home, and my mon was very strikt about no tv, no radio, just being family.
If my sister (who was then married) came in at mealtime for somthing unrelated, it was always, sit down, get a plate and eat, then you can go again, not just popping in, disturbing the meal and being gone :)

C

CanadianGuy86

I loved having family meala. Its alot harder to do that these daya since were all older butiit was a good time. I doubt sitting down with the family at dinner time will help solve the problem.

Teens have friends who will still pressure them to do drugs and alot will still do it to be cool with their friends. Its all abut the kids attitude and how strong they are or not. I know of very loving christian families who spend alot of time together and there kids stilldo drugs. Its all up to the kids decision if they want to or not.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
If you have a loving and accepting family it is more easy to have the selfconfidance to not need the peer acceptance so much [and to possible say no, i drank enough and still be accepted by ones peers] and to not hurt so much, as to turn to drugs (or alkohol abuse or ...) as a way to get away (flee) from ones problems and once own thoughts.

A shared meal time is a way to show the love, acceptance and togetherness, because all of the family (group) shares something positive (food) and everyone can talk and laugh with each other, without pressure.

If you are hanging out with a group that does something wrong, like drugs, you get harressed if you do not do drugs, because the "druging" is the thing that glues the group together. If you know, that sharing food is something that can glue together, you can be the one, who says, well lets eat at MDs (for example) and hang there. Of caurse that is an oversimplification, but every drop of good values and togetherness, helps. If only to remember, there was a better time, and not to despair, when life goes wrong.

J

jerusalem

since substance abuse is largely due to attempting to fill a void in your life and based on what i have seen myself i am inclined to agree that this methodology is likely to have the higher success rate