Taking care of sick and dying parents.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
What should we do if our parents are old and dying and we just can't do it any more?

Sep 3, 2016
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
take care of them if you can, as much as you can. if that doesnt work maybe get a caretaker?
My mom, brother and I take care of my grandma. after 2 strokes she cant go shopping or leave her home alone. so we talk to her, visit her and go shopping for her whatever she needs.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Put them in a nursing home or assisted living facility.. or in hospice if they're terminal..

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
hospice came to us 3x per week and gave me 2 weekends a mo. off. But nobody ever shared what to do when they passed away. I was SO unprepaired!

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
What should we do if our parents are old and dying and we just can't do it any more?
hospice came to us 3x per week and gave me 2 weekends a mo. off. But nobody ever shared what to do when they passed away. I was SO unprepaired!
My husband called the nurse on call when my mom passed in Hospice. Mom called when dad passed just a little over a year before she did.
It's one thing to know they'll be at peace and in a better place and away from their suffering. It is quite another to watch them leave.

(hug)

P

pjharrison

You just have to step away for a little while, take a deep breath and continue taking care of them.

Mar 23, 2016
So hard. We want to do what's best for them and we're not equipped to deal with what they're going through. Make sure your parents know they are loved and they are being cared for. We want to take care of them ourselves and sometimes they get to a point where they are beyond our ability to provide what is needed for them. That is when we have to get help for them that we cannot provide. And make sure they stay hydrated. Make sure they drink water ... A LOT of water. Dehydration wreaks havoc on their bodies.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
So hard. We want to do what's best for them and we're not equipped to deal with what they're going through. Make sure your parents know they are loved and they are being cared for. We want to take care of them ourselves and sometimes they get to a point where they are beyond our ability to provide what is needed for them. That is when we have to get help for them that we cannot provide. And make sure they stay hydrated. Make sure they drink water ... A LOT of water. Dehydration wreaks havoc on their bodies.
Illness and co dependence, when there used to being independent also messes with their minds.

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
I took care of my parents when they were ill, and I never regretted it. But, it did change me. Each person has to make these choices for themselves. What's right in my life may not be right in another's life, because my experiences, mannerisms and knowledge isn't the same as another's. Take care your home however you feel led to do.

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
It’s really very hard to see our parents suffer. Please provide the best possible care and spend lots of time with them and helping them. I’m praying that God will provide you with the strength, patience and guidance you need at this time. Also, I recently came across this book that might be helpful to you: Complete Guide to Caring for Aging Loved Ones by Robert Riekse. Hand in there, friend.

Spiral2

Jul 25, 2018
England
I had to do this.
My Dad got cancer. He had four months aged 70 but a young 70. He was my Mum;s main carer who had Guillain-Barré syndrome , the CIDP strain and with out me knowing or realizing, it was killing her. I helped her look after my Dad , however being a nurse who had worked in a hospice she did most of his care her self. She past away 18 months after Dad, each month and then week being able to do less and less. I became her main carer. trying to juggle having two small children who had just started school, a husband and three young 20 year olds, one being in Uni.

For me, I just kept thinking of all the care they had given me in my life. They would do anything for me. Mum had also cared for her Dad and Mum who lived with us growing up and her in law parents so she had shown me what to do. I never regretted any of it, although it was hard work.

Like parenting, I think you have to rely on your own judgment and instinct to know what you should do. I was not working at the time so was able to look after Mum.
So every situation is different. Illness are different. Family set ups are different and you need to do the best you can for that person you are caring for. You know them and you know you and your families position. If that means getting help or putting them into a caring home then do it. Obviously I would visit daily or frequently because you can still care for your parents even when they are in a home. I had Macmillan nurses helping and some of Mums nursing friends guiding me. It was all over too soon. But I know I did my best for them both and grateful for every second I was able to tell them I loved them.
I had a lot of people coming in to help. Reading the bible to Dad, changing the bird food for them, putting out the bins for us. Praying for us.

VincentG

Prodigal son
Aug 25, 2018
Man that "Has" got to be rough...I will be in the same situation one of these days, Just putting my 10 year old lab "DOG" was tough he was my buddy.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
You should never have been doing it all yourself. That is the fastest way to caregiver burnout. Family, extended family, even friends or neighbours should take turns.

Next, find out what agencies can help you. Can you get respite care? How about caregivers to dress them and toilet them in the morning, if needed?

Next stage is long term care. I know the USA is very different in this regards. In Canada, the cost is minimal, for basic care. But, some money is still needed.

I was a chaplain in long term care. It was a Lutheran organization, and the care, especially loving the people, was amazing. Not all secular organizations are like that. Find out if your denomination runs long term care homes. I know Baptists and Catholics do. See what the cost is.

I know we owe our parents a lot. When my father was in the hospital dying, he was never upset he had to leave his home and go into care. The only thing that upset him was when my brother and mother did not visit. So, if you put them into care, visit them a lot. Daily at first. I was just visiting a church member in long term care, and he had a friend, one Vic, by name, and his wife visited him daily. I heard yesterday of a wife who was at the care facility for 2 meals every day. That is almost as much work as having someone at home.

Anyway, talk to your pastor, if you are still looking for answers. He, or someone else in the church might have some great ideas of the best ways to transition your parents, so you are not burdened. My dad did not want to burden me, but I was there 6 days a week, when he got sick. He told me to go home, and rest and study. Instead, I brought my books and studied there. But, at least I could go home, ride my bike, work in the garden, and get a bit of rest.

I pray you find some answers to this difficult question. Or, was this rhetorical?