Taking things for granted...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 27, 2005
December 1st of 2006 started off just like any other day. It was my junior year of highschool and i got off the bus like normal and headed home. I had been home for a few hours, did some homework and got online. Then the phone rang. It was my dad and he said, "Hey Bets, a lady I work with said that she thought she saw flooding in our area and I wanted to make sure everything was okay...will you look out the window?" I peeked out the front door window and screamed! The creek near our house had overflowed and was now covered my front yard! My dad said, "Hey, it'll be okay. Just keep an eye on it and I'll call back every so often to check on you." As the hours passed the water continued to rise. We had 4 steps that led to our front door and by the time my stepmom got off of work, the water was passed the third step. My stepmom didn't know about the flooding...she got home and had to park the car down the street and start yelling for us to get out of the house. Keep in mind it was december in Ohio so...the water was below freezing. So we did as Debbie said, grabbed the dogs, some shoes, turned off our house's breaker and waded through the water to the car. It was sooo cold! and the rocks hurt as i stepped on them in the water to get into the van.
From here we went to my dad's work. He was able to get off a little early to see what damage was being done. When we got back we had to wade through the water again and get everything we could off the floor. My brother's room was already filling with water...and by the end of it they will have had 4.5 feet of water in their room. Not much survives.
Red cross puts all 6 of us in a Super8 motel room for 1.5 weeks. I was happy to have a place to stay...but that was the worst time of my life. I had to continue to go to school even though all i could think about is the fact i was homeless. After the 1.5 weeks someone scrounged up so money and paid for us to stay in a two bedroom apartment for 5 months! God was sooo gracious! I had to sleep in the livingroom, and lost a lot of sleep those nights, but again I was so grateful to have a place to stay.
During the time in that apartment our houses ended up getting flooded again about twice as bad, and then it caught on fire 3 times one day while the industrial fans tried to dry it out. I was veryyy veryyy stressed at this point and we were trying really hard to find a new house.
Thanks again to God we found a house sooo many times better than the one that we lost. And we learned in hind-sight that the floor boards in that house we collapsing and the washer was leaking under the house creating mold! So if God hadn't have put us through all of this...we could have gotten extremely hurt when our livingroom floor collapsed under use.
I love God sooooooooooo much! And because of him we still have that wonderful house, free from the flood plains of the city and in a good part of town.
Anyhoo I have another testimonial...but I've got to get ready for work. So...yah. God knows what's best for us even when there doesn't seem to be an upside to the situation. Put your trust in Him!

C

chrisman

Thanks for your testimony, Betsy! It was really encouraging for me to read. Two passages of scripture come to mind from your experience: "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:19-21. You were able to trust in the Lord for a home because your heart was set on the things of the Lord rather than the things of this earth, and that's encouraging! 2nd scripture: "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials; knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience" -James 1: 2-3. God used this trial in your life to test your faith so that you would learn to be more patient in Him. I see that the Holy Spirit did do a work in your life through your trial. This too, is encouraging. :)

Aug 27, 2005
yah that was a trying time for me and my family. but we pretty much stuck God right in the middle of it and did ring around the rosey and let Him take control!! and...boy did He ever!

Conquer

Apr 8, 2007
It is good to see you loving God so much. And amen to the words: Put your trust in Him! :D