Talent

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 21, 2013
Take your professional footballer, or the amazing opera singer, or the worlds best surgeon... Any talent in any field... Do you regard that as a god given talent?

K

kenisyes

If God made everything, He made that talent. It's also a talent to recognize a talent. So, yes, I regard both a God given.

Mar 21, 2013
So how does god decide who's going to be talented and who's going to be a homeless bum? Why wasn't I a famous surgeon? Why am I stuck in this dead end job? It's not fair! Lol

K

kenisyes

Maybe God doesn't "decide". Maybe we "decide" what we think a talent is. His priorities might be quite a bit different than ours.

I once read a story about a homeless bum who died and went straight to heaven, because one cold night he rolled over on top of another bum to keep him from dying of the cold, and froze to death himself. Now, if it just happens that God's greatest priority is to let us experience selfless love, the bum was better than the surgeon (who gets tons of money).

God might have a better plan for you, and He needs you to come to Him before He can change things around to make it happen. Can you imagine how hard it would be for Him to make you a great theologian for instance, while you are an atheist?

Feb 17, 2013
It seems to me that in most sports. The non christians have to takes steroids or human growth supplements to compete with the ones that are.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Talent is a human word. The Bible talks about gifts.

"And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues." 1 Cor 12:28

The purpose of gifts is not to build yourself up or make more money. It is for edification and equipping of the body.

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, [SUP]12 [/SUP]to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, [SUP]13 [/SUP]until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,to the measure of the stature ofthe fullness of Christ, [SUP]14 [/SUP]so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes." Eph. 4:11-14

There are spiritual gifts tests on-line, but I think it is better to pray, to serve and God will reveal where you can best do ministry and help the body of Christ.

A

Ariel82

remember that human body analogy I gave you before.... yeah something along that line...i'll elaborate later, if I find time....:)

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I think this is worth a mention:
"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

And this:
Now the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “See, I have called by name Bezalel, the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship, to make artistic designs for work in gold, in silver, and in bronze, and in the cutting of stones for settings, and in the carving of wood, that he may work in all kinds of craftsmanship."

And this:
"Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen."

Feb 17, 2013
As for talent, David the king of Israel said" I would rather be a doorkeeper in the House of the Lord than dwell in the tents of the unrighteous". Seeing that He was very talented in war. Even killing the champion of the Philistines with a sling shot (so to speak). When he wielded a spear that head of it weigh forty pounds.

N

Nancyer

God gave us all gifts - talents, abilities, callings - He also gave us Free Will. Some of us know our what our abilities are and go with them, use them, hopefully for the Glory of God. Others don't know, even feel they have none, but everyone has abilities. They need encouragement and guidance to use discern what those talents are. I believe a "calling" is something more. Pastors and nuns have callings. Others have a calling to go into 3rd world countries and build a school; few people could ever do that.

Then we hear someone sing or see someone dance and there can be no explanation for it other than a gift from God. Or a magnificent painting.

My flesh insists I include George Clooney....I mean, look at him.....that has to be a gift from God! (lol)