The Abonination of Desolation - Past, Future or Both?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

FireOnTheAltar

I found a couple of interesting videos discussing eschotology, specifically the Abomination of Desolation, it's scriptural and historical significance, and the differences between the Olivet Discourse given in Matthew 24 / Mark 13 in comparison to a simular speech given in Luke 21. Very interesting videos!

I was hoping to embed these videos however since they are Google videos and not Youtube videos, I'm sure how so I'll just provide the links.

Chuck Missler - This Generation - Session 01

[Note: Both links read "Session 1" however, I have checked them, the second link leads to Session 2.]

A

Abiding

all three :)

F

FireOnTheAltar

*lol* I would agree. The videos seem to think so as well. It's pretty good stuff, full of scripture and history.

F

FireOnTheAltar

The abomination of desolation is a Hebrew term that many Christians don't understand. It is defined by the placing of an idol to worship in place of YAHWEH, which is set up in the Holy of Holies on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. The final setting up of an idol will take place in the future when the antichrist, the man of sin, will declare himself God in the rebuilt temple, placing himself up as an idol and demanding worship from the world. -

Daniel wrote of the abomination of desolation in several places [Daniel 8:13, 9:27, 11:31, 12:11]. In fact, this event has happened before in history, although not to the specifications in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and 2 Thessalonians 2, and almost two centuries before Yeshua walked the earth as a man. Chanukkah is the Jewish celebration of the rededication of the temple after the abomination of desolation caused by the Syrian king, Antiochus IV Epiphanes in 165 BC. The story of Chanukkah can be found in the books of 1 and 2 Maccabees when Antiochus placed a statue of Zeus in the Temple then sacrificed a pig to the statue in 168 B.C., almost 200 years before Jesus' speech on the Mount of Olives to which says in Matthew 24 it will happen again. Seeing as it did not occur during the events of 70 a.d. or at any other moment in time until now, we have no choice but to believe that Jesus has predicted an event that will happen at some point and time in the future.

F

FireOnTheAltar

The videos posted below address why many confuse Matthew 24 & Mark 13 to be all about the events of 70 a.d. which is not true although the account given in Luke 21 most certainly is. There are settle details which prove that the speeches are indeed different and that the events of 70 a.d. was to be a foreshadow of an event more significant event in the future.

E

eternally-gratefull

The abomination of desolation is a Hebrew term that many Christians don't understand. It is defined by the placing of an idol to worship in place of YAHWEH, which is set up in the Holy of Holies on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. The final setting up of an idol will take place in the future when the antichrist, the man of sin, will declare himself God in the rebuilt temple, placing himself up as an idol and demanding worship from the world. -

Daniel wrote of the abomination of desolation in several places [Daniel 8:13, 9:27, 11:31, 12:11]. In fact, this event has happened before in history, although not to the specifications in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and 2 Thessalonians 2, and almost two centuries before Yeshua walked the earth as a man. Chanukkah is the Jewish celebration of the rededication of the temple after the abomination of desolation caused by the Syrian king, Antiochus IV Epiphanes in 165 BC. The story of Chanukkah can be found in the books of 1 and 2 Maccabees when Antiochus placed a statue of Zeus in the Temple then sacrificed a pig to the statue in 168 B.C., almost 200 years before Jesus' speech on the Mount of Olives to which says in Matthew 24 it will happen again. Seeing as it did not occur during the events of 70 a.d. or at any other moment in time until now, we have no choice but to believe that Jesus has predicted an event that will happen at some point and time in the future.

Yes. And since there has been no temple since 70 AD, we know it has not happened between then and now.

I think alot of people are gonna get worried when they start rebuilding the temple. The have everything they need, from the priests, to the special heffar, to all the utensils and furniture. All they need is the place to build it. Which they are preparing for now (right now the dome of the rock is on the temple mount where the holy of holies was. They are actually looking at two other sites where they think it might be. It could be the covenant the antichrist makes is to be able to build the temple. they could easily do it these days in months. Not years.

F

FireOnTheAltar

Yes. And since there has been no temple since 70 AD, we know it has not happened between then and now.

I think alot of people are gonna get worried when they start rebuilding the temple. The have everything they need, from the priests, to the special heffar, to all the utensils and furniture. All they need is the place to build it. Which they are preparing for now (right now the dome of the rock is on the temple mount where the holy of holies was. They are actually looking at two other sites where they think it might be. It could be the covenant the antichrist makes is to be able to build the temple. they could easily do it these days in months. Not years.
Agreed. I believe at some point and time that the Dome of the Rock will be destroyed and the entire Middle East will prepared to go to war with Israel. I also believe that the Antichrist will be the one to broker a peace agreement which will include the rebuilding of the temple as the selling point for Israel. Of course, he will break this treaty after 3 1/2 years declaring himself to be God in the rebuilt temple.

F

FireOnTheAltar

The videos posted below address why many confuse Matthew 24 & Mark 13 to be all about the events of 70 a.d. which is not true although the account given in Luke 21 most certainly is. There are SUBTLE details which prove that the speeches are indeed different and that the events of 70 a.d. was to be a foreshadow of a more significant event in the future.
More typos... :)

E

eternally-gratefull

Agreed. I believe at some point and time that the Dome of the Rock will be destroyed and the entire Middle East will prepared to go to war with Israel. I also believe that the Antichrist will be the one to broker a peace agreement which will include the rebuilding of the temple as the selling point for Israel. Of course, he will break this treaty after 3 1/2 years declaring himself to be God in the rebuilt temple.
Yep. It is funny. A friend of mine Was in Israel. And went into a place where they had things with the OLD temples. They were asking the guy if they were looking forward to build the new one. The guy was astounded that a Christian would ask such a thing. My friend said what about Daniel. The jew said they were not allowed to read daniel.

I think this is the warning Christ came. When he told them when they saw this to run to the hills. I also think this is what will start the repentance of jews. When they finally realize what is going on.

A

Abiding

Yes titus did defile the temple, and yes it will happen again, no the dome of the rock isnt sitting on the
temples foundation, its to the south i believe, you can probably find pictures of infrared photos from a
helecopter with some ways they measured it to fit the size of the temple, but still its on the mount.

Unless that has been debunked. Its been a few years since i seen the report.

Last edited:
E

eternally-gratefull

Yes titus did defile the temple, and yes it will happen again, no the dome of the rock isnt sitting on the
temples foundation, its to the south i believe, you can probably find pictures of infrared photos from a
helecopter with some ways they measured it to fit the size of the temple, but still its on the mount.

That is probably where the other two "possible sites" came from. It has been a few years since I heard this also. Probably before you got your info.

Feb 17, 2010
What about the wailing wall? Should that not come down first? The last standing wall of the old temple?

F

FireOnTheAltar

What about the wailing wall? Should that not come down first? The last standing wall of the old temple?
I don't think that the wailing wall was part of the original construction of the 2nd temple but was added by Herod during his upgrade of the temple a couple of years before the birth of Christ. I could be wrong though.

F

FireOnTheAltar

I've also heard that there is room on the temple mount for a third temple without destroying the dome however, I've also heard that the muslims use the stone which many scholars believe to be the very stone in which the ark of the covenant sat upon for some other purpose. regardless if there's room for two temples to coexist i seriously doubt that the jews would b e willing to share the temple mount regardless.

A

Abiding

I've also heard that there is room on the temple mount for a third temple without destroying the dome however, I've also heard that the muslims use the stone which many scholars believe to be the very stone in which the ark of the covenant sat upon for some other purpose. regardless if there's room for two temples to coexist i seriously doubt that the jews would b e willing to share the temple mount regardless.
Alot of storytelling has went on over relics and locations. These infrared pictures showed the foundation on the other end of the temple mount, the other mosque isnt in the way.
clearly, Any ways no worries plans have been drawn up for some time for the mosque to be blown up, and blamed on the syrians bad aim. But the mosque really isnt a problem, other things need set in order. When
God wants to let it happen it will happen, becuase the powers that be have been ready to go for some time.

L

Laodicea

Matthew 24:15
(15) When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
1 Kings 11:5-7
(5) For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
(6) And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.
(7) Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.

The abomination of desolation is talking about idol worship that was brought into the temple, that was a sign that the desolation was near.

Daniel 11:31
(31) And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.
Revelation 13:6
(6) And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

The
abomination of desolation during the dark ages was brought into the church by the Papacy who brought idol worship into the church and cut out the 2nd commandment.

Revelation 13:15
(15) And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

This last verse is in the future the 2nd beast will make an image (likeness) to the 1st beast so that the system that was in the dark ages will happen again on a worldwide scale
Ecclesiastes 1:9-10
(9) The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
(10) Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Attachments

May 2, 2011
I found a couple of interesting videos discussing eschotology, specifically the Abomination of Desolation, it's scriptural and historical significance, and the differences between the Olivet Discourse given in Matthew 24 / Mark 13 in comparison to a simular speech given in Luke 21. Very interesting videos!

I was hoping to embed these videos however since they are Google videos and not Youtube videos, I'm sure how so I'll just provide the links.

[Note: Both links read "Session 1" however, I have checked them, the second link leads to Session 2.]
Chuck Missler This Generation Session 01
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVItTUpZYk[/video]

Chuck Missler This Generation Session 02‏
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2QSB-qu6Bg[/video]

[THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION OR APPROVAL]
Charles "Chuck" Missler is an author, evangelical Christian, Bible teacher, former
businessman and Air Force officer. He is the founder of the Koinonia House ministry based
in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

He was for several years the chairman, the chief executive, and the largest shareholder
of Western Digital. In 1983 he became the chairman and chief executive of Helionetics
Inc., another technology company.

After teaching for many years at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, Missler moved to Coeur
d'Alene in 1992 and founded Koinonia House. Through this organization, Missler
distributes a monthly newsletter, Bible study tapes, and a radio show, and speaks at
conferences.

Missler is a prominent Christian Zionist with ties to the far right Patriot movement
although he is described as neither racist nor anti-Semitic.

Chuck has had numerous programs aired on the Christian television station GOD TV,
namely the DVD versions of his biblical studies "Learn the Bible in 24 Hours", "The Book of
Revelation", "The Book of Genesis", and "The Book of Daniel".

A Los Angeles Times article reported that Missler and co-author Hal Lindsey had
plagiarized a portion of Miami University Professor Edwin Yamauchi's 1982 book Foes
From the Northern Frontier in their own 1992 book The Magog Factor.

A YouTube video in which Chuck attempts to disprove evolution with a jar of peanut
butter attracted media attention in 2007-2008

Link: -->> Chuck Missler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

S

Scotth1960

Dear FireOnTheAltar, Whatever the Abomination of Desolation is, and whether it was only in the past, or may be again in the future, we should fear God alone, not the Antichrist.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov counsels all: "Do not fear the devil. He who fears God will overcome the deavil; for him the devil is powerless." (page 57: Ultimate Things: An Orthodox Christian Perspective on the End Times. by Dennis Eugene Engleman. Copyright 1995, Conciliar Press, Ben Lomond, CA.).

God bless us and save us all in Christ Jesus : AMEN.

In Erie PA USA July 2011 AD Scott R. Harrington