The Atheist's Perspective

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2011
I'm making this thread as an alternative to the many sects of christian advice we have here. This idea came to me as I was responding to a post in the Christian Family section about a marriage problem. In reading through the many pages of advice, I notice that many were coming from a very Christian state of mind. There is of course nothing wrong with that. Don't confuse my intentions as starting this thread to make a fight or something. I also have no intention on confusing. My desire is far more noble. I want to offer insight and advice from a purely psychological point of view. I am a believer in knowledge. I think that when burdened with a problem, it should be tackled from all angles of thought and action. Every ounce of power your mind has should be used for cognitive thinking. There is nothing wrong with hearing different opinions. I hope this topic stays around for a long while. I will check it periodically for any questions or concerns, and I will answer them to the best of my ability without using religion in any way in the answer. I hope this serves as a good introduction to what I am proposing, and I hope you take advantage of my mind. I have great insight and have helped many people. I'd love to help all of you as well.

The last thing I need to mention is my choice of putting it in the "Singles" section, rather than the "Christian Family" section, where I stated I had the idea to begin with. There are many reasons for this choice.

It's not a long stretch to assume there will be people of a much older age seeking advice in a section titled "Family". Older people don't want to accept advice from the young for many reasons in itself. Ego is one. They think they've "lived" and they "been there, done that", and "your so young, what could you possibly know?". They will be less likely to listen to me in the first place.

Not to mention, I would be guilty of ego if I thought I could solve every problem, even those problems that occur at a far older age than myself. I do however feel I could give some great thoughts, but that will be there job to come to me.

Single people have less figured out in general anyway. Their age group is a big factor, but not completely.

Well, I am here to give an atheists perspective on your problems based entirely on human psychology and my own life experiences. You wont expect to find scripture here. Just a well thought out and articulate flow of ideas.

Thank you. Let the questions and problems begin.

Aug 27, 2011
What does it mean to be alive? What is consciousness? When does a person become alive before birth? There's no clear boundary between the transition into being a person. Makes me think that the whole concept is wrong.

Feb 9, 2011
What does it mean to be alive? What is consciousness? When does a person become alive before birth? There's no clear boundary between the transition into being a person. Makes me think that the whole concept is wrong.
The whole concept of abortion being wrong? Perhaps. That will always be a controversial subject. No one can agree on it. It's just a personal view. There are plenty of atheists that are against abortion too, because to them it is immoral.

I would say for this reason, we must keep the choice of abortion open. No one will ever agree, so why should some who want an abortion suffer? Just because it's legal doesnt force any woman to do it or go through with it. Big deal. If it's against ones personal morality, then we know you will just never have an abortion! As simple as that. This is of course just my view.

Some of your questions are of a more philosophical tone. There is not just one way to look at it. But I'll elaborate if you like :)

If anyone has any other questions or anything, let me know. I meant for this thread to be more on topis of what to do.

There are some topics on different gender roomates and if its ok. These are looking for Christian advice. Or marriage or boyfriend/girlfriend advice.

Tell me your problem and I'll give advice that is not influence by relgion or christianity.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
You seem to be a nice, well spoken young lady. HOWEVER... Personally, I don't think this thread belongs here. It is trying to take the "Christian" out of Christian chat.
If someone wants advice not influenced by Christianity, they can always go to a forum that is not Christian based. If they want advice from an atheist, they can go to some atheist forum.
Just as a bit of a shallow example: I wouldn't go to a forum about football and start a thread offering advice on baseball. It doesn't make sense.
The implications here are greater though.

1 Cor 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”

Feb 9, 2011
Hmm...I see what you mean. Perhaps this should be moved to Miscellanious? Baseball and religion are very different things. When it comes to sports, people are more accepting and would certainly go and seek out information. Most topics fall in that category. But religion is unique in that there are a LOT of people whom I don't think would ever seek out outside information. So I'd like to bring it to them.

But I mean no disrespect. Actually, in some ways, you are doing EXACTLY what I was just discussing with someone on the topic of abortion. There is something metaphorical about that.

Abortion: The christian perspective is to just cancel it out all together. The atheist perspective would be that everyone has a different set of values and morals, and we shouldnt over step anyones boudaries, so we will keep it to ourselves and we wont judge others. If it's not right for us, we simply wont do it. If someone wants to do it, we may not think it's right, but it's a free country and who are we to tell someone else that im better than you and my ideas are right and yours are wrong.

Kind of like Howard Stern. Religions protested him and wanted him off the air. They were saying he was too offensive and what if their children heard the bad language...but really...kids dont care about howard stern anymore. He's old news. Now we have to pay more money to listen to his show on satellite radio just because some people thought it was offensive... if you feel that way...just dont listen. simple as taht. We all should have the freedom of listening to waht we want. Suppose you had to pay more money to listen to a christian radio station? That would be stupid. Everything should be open to everyone who seeks it.

This is here to help people at a simple click of a button who would normally have never even bothered to seek out other thoughts. Most people are so stuck in their ways...they dont even know that other options are available. i just want to give them a chance.

But if everyone feels the same way, this thread will just be deleted. No hard feelings either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.