The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2016
My point is that Jesus chose to appear to Mary Magdalene first. Why did He choose her and not one of the male apostles to appear before? Jesus' action shows no bias.
Again, the biblical record indicates there are two types of tongues. There are tongues present at the infilling of the Holy Ghost as evidenced in the Day of Pentecost record and provided for all generations. Jesus told Nicodemus that one cannot see the Holy Spirit however, the Spirit can be heard:
John 3:8
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The scripture verses previously provided by you pertain to the Spiritual gift of tongues.

I would say God makes no difference who or what gender he sends his prophecy as the gospel with. Female or male apostles. He is not served by human hands

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I would say God makes no difference who or what gender he sends his prophecy as the gospel with. Female or male apostles. He is not served by human hands
the land is Mine; for you are but aliens and sojourners with Me
(Leviticus 25:23)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Then go heal everyone in every hospital in your area, be sure to drag someone from the news with you.
Listen, you judgmental attitude and all-knowing pronounciations on others is without patience and understanding.

I do not "decidee" for a miracle, it is always God workig in us all. Do not make me out as boasting in "your eyes" for my boast is and always has been kGod. You would fatigue me were it not my and our being accustomed to this type of posting.

Now, learn to give glorty, all glorty to God, and do not judge His servants as you have in your posts. You should chang your name totHE ONLY tEACHER, FOR YOU CERTAINLY ARE NOT LEARNING FROM OTHERS HERE.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
You're reading into the text something that just isn't there. No difference in language - just an indication that said praying/singing was done not only with understanding but also by the power and leading/guidance of the H/S.
Have you ever asked God to be able to speak in tongues the way they did on the day of Pentecost?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Have you ever asked God to be able to speak in tongues the way they did on the day of Pentecost?
Among a bunch of people who all speak my native language? Just for my own selfish desire for miraculous power and or experience?

No.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
What was said to the crowds was inspired by the Holy Spirit, but the vehicles of communication were Greek and Aramaic - the native language of virtually all the Jews gathered there. Without going into all the details (for which, see many of the other threads on tongues or my blog post on languages at Pentecost) the 'list' given in the Pentecostal narrative is not one of languages; it's one of places. The Eastern and Western Diaspora to be exact. Jews living in these lands spoke either Greek or Aramaic as their native language.

At Pentecost, the God of the Jews was now 'formally' being made available to the (known) world without having to use what for centuries had been the only language acceptable (in Judaism); Hebrew.

Known, real, rational languages- not modern tongues.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
What was said to the crowds was inspired by the Holy Spirit, but the vehicles of communication were Greek and Aramaic - the native language of virtually all the Jews gathered there. Without going into all the details (for which, see many of the other threads on tongues or my blog post on languages at Pentecost) the 'list' given in the Pentecostal narrative is not one of languages; it's one of places. The Eastern and Western Diaspora to be exact. Jews living in these lands spoke either Greek or Aramaic as their native language.

At Pentecost, the God of the Jews was now 'formally' being made available to the (known) world without having to use what for centuries had been the only language acceptable (in Judaism); Hebrew.

Kavik,

I appreciate the clear explanation but you didn't answer the question asked. It wasn't about what you or I think that particular 'speaking in tongues' was, I was inquiring to see if you had ASKED to receive the same thing.

However, I would also like to know if you believe the "speaking in tongues" given at Pentecost in Acts 2 was the same 'speaking in tongues' attributed to those in Acts 10:44-46, and also those in Acts 19:6.

Thanks,
Kelby

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
I'll write a more detailed response as time allows (busy week at work) - they are the same in that all three events describe real, rational language(s). In the instances of Ephesus and the home of Cornelius, said languages may not have been known or understood by those listening/hearing them, but they were the native languages of those speaking. With regards to Ephesus, one has to keep in mind it was much like the city of Corinth; a virtual melting pot of cultures and languages - it was also the sight of one of the seven wonders of the ancient world which would have likely also contributed to the diversity (i.e. visiting "tourists"). Cornelius's soldiers and particularly his slaves could have come from literally anywhere in the Roman Empire; there are quite a few possibilities as to what their native language(s) could have been. In any event, they were obviously not ones Peter and his peeps recognized or spoke.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
THE BAPTISM WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT BY CHRIST (THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT)
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: (Mt 3:11)
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Rom 5:5)
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (Rom 8:11)

NO TONGUES AFTER RECEIVING THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT (FOR ABOUT 3,000 SOULS)
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
4 2 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

THE FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

A. BOLDNESS TO SPEAK THE WORD OF GOD
And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this? Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole...Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:7-10,13)
And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them... And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:23,31)

B. WALKING IN THE SPIRIT (ROMANS 8)
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

C. PRODUCING THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT (GALATIANS 5)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
Not everything that occurs during each individual event is recorded in the bible; if so, the bible would be enormous. Concepts can be seen in two or three scripture witnesses that confirm one another. Acts 2:1-4, 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6.

S

SpoonJuly

Why would I ask God? How would that glorify my Lord? How would that help win the lost as it did then?
Everyone in my area speaks English as I do so I preach the Gospel to them in English.
Been working very well for over 50 years. So, why do I need to speak in other languages?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
You can change "always" to "sometimes".

Every believer experiences the baptism WITH the Holy Spirit, which simply means that the Holy Spirit is poured out upon the believer by Christ as the gift of the Holy Spirit Himself. This is not identical to being filled with the Spirit, and the evidence of that is (a) speaking the Word of God boldly, (b) walking in the Spirit and (2) producing the fruit of the Spirit.
If you are boldly speaking a message in power, you know that the source is not your thought, then you are prophesying.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Why would I ask God? How would that glorify my Lord? How would that help win the lost as it did the
Everyone in my area speaks English as I do so I preach the Gospel to them in English.
Been working very well for over 50 years. So, why do I need to speak in other languages?
The gifts are for ministering to others, except for our prayer language which is not what we call the gift of tongues. Though it is tongues. Confusing? The gift is equal to prophecy but must be interpreted of course.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
You might add that the Corinthian Church, a Church filled with the gifts, even tongues, was also one of the most carnal of the Churches we read of in Scripture. (Just to add some balance lol).
You don't think the other gatherings had the gifts too? Paul would lay hands on all to receive.

It's wasn't the gifts that created carnal actions.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018

I remember you took this position before in our discussions, but we both missed something: If what you believe were true, then why were the 3,000 diaspora Jews amazed? Did Galilaeans speak some lesser language that would've been expected?

S

SpoonJuly

The gifts are for ministering to others, except for our prayer language which is not what we call the gift of tongues. Though it is tongues. Confusing? The gift is equal to prophecy but must be interpreted of course.
Now just how are tongues used for "ministering to others"?

I am not confused at all, but you seem to be.

S

SpoonJuly

What language do you use in prayer.
I use English and God hears every word.
If your God does not understand English, maybe you are praying to the wrong God.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
What language do you use in prayer.
I use English and God hears every word.
If your God does not understand English, maybe you are praying to the wrong God.
Well it is our God who gives gifts. Be careful with your accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.