The Betraying Kiss

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

cfultz3

The last several days I have been wondering the meaning behind the kiss Judas gave Jesus to betray Him. What importance does that kiss have for us?

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
Why does it have to be for "us"? Maybe it wasn't. Maybe Jesus was just highlighting the fact that though this man came with a loving, intimate kiss, his real self was that of the devil.

C

cfultz3

Why does it have to be for "us"? Maybe it wasn't. Maybe Jesus was just highlighting the fact that though this man came with a loving, intimate kiss, his real self was that of the devil.
Sorry about that. I should have said, what meaning does that kiss hold for our understanding.

I see what you are saying, but don't forget that Judas was possessed by the devil. I cannot see any love coming from the devil. Do you know if it fulfills any prophecies?

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
Sorry about that. I should have said, what meaning does that kiss hold for our understanding.

I see what you are saying, but don't forget that Judas was possessed by the devil. I cannot see any love coming from the devil. Do you know if it fulfills any prophecies?
Not sure if it fulfilled any prophesies. I'd have to check on that.

T

Tintin

Judas was possessed by the devil? Since when? The kiss probably shows nothing more than that you can do horrible things to others that can look innocent to outsiders.

N

nonicknametouse

The scripture that come to mind is Proverbs 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Judas was not a true friend to Jesus , but Jesus called him friend after he kissed him and told him Do what you came for. It was a kiss of betrayal. I think for me the kiss is a reminder that people are not who they appear to be and we need to be aware of the enemy using others in our life who will drag us down. We can't trust every one even if they claim to be Christians. I think we all came across a Judas in our lives. I don't think Judas was a believer in his heart.

C

cfultz3

Judas was possessed by the devil? Since when? The kiss probably shows nothing more than that you can do horrible things to others that can look innocent to outsiders.
Luk 22:3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

That is a good summary.

I guess some things are not what they seem to be...

Feb 21, 2012
The last several days I have been wondering the meaning behind the kiss Judas gave Jesus to betray Him. What importance does that kiss have for us?
Maybe that's where the expression "Kiss of death" originated from!

C

cfultz3

The scripture that come to mind is Proverbs 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Judas was not a true friend to Jesus , but Jesus called him friend after he kissed him and told him Do what you came for. It was a kiss of betrayal. I think for me the kiss is a reminder that people are not who they appear to be and we need to be aware of the enemy using others in our life who will drag us down. We can't trust every one even if they claim to be Christians. I think we all came across a Judas in our lives. I don't think Judas was a believer in his heart.
Thanks for replying. I think this very much explains it to me.

C

cfultz3

Maybe that's where the expression "Kiss of death" originated from!
That was interesting. I went to Google and the top 10 searches said that the expression did originate from that. So, i guess it did :)

C

cfultz3

I was reading more about it and came across this. Could it be saying how Jesus was betrayed by the most religious?

Mat 10:4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

Simon the Canaanite - Luke calls him “Simon Zelotes,” the zealous. It is probable that he was one of a small sect of the Jews called “Zealots,” on account of special zeal in religion. His native place was probably “Cana.” Afterward he might with propriety be called by either title.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
see I always thought that it was either their usual greeting or that judas had some regrets and was sort of kissing him goodbye. idk. interesting about the kiss of death thing

C

cfultz3

I was reading more about it and came across this. Could it be saying how Jesus was betrayed by the most religious?

Mat 10:4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

Simon the Canaanite - Luke calls him “Simon Zelotes,” the zealous. It is probable that he was one of a small sect of the Jews called “Zealots,” on account of special zeal in religion. His native place was probably “Cana.” Afterward he might with propriety be called by either title.
Scratch this...it has nothing to do with the kiss

A

Abiding

even my own familiar friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.ps 41
kissing was just a tradition. Thats why it was overlooked alot. Like saying i love you today has little meaning.

As Jesus stated to His disciples the night He was arrested: “I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.'” (John 13:18)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

closest i could find...
Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
(Psa 41:9)

oh wait..Abiding grrrrr.

Feb 17, 2010
Judas told the "evil" pack, that they should grab the one that HE WILL KISS! It was also his way of SHOWING them which one is Jesus. So that they do not arrest the wrong man. The part about the arrest that I enjoy is how they came with sticks and swords, and then the GLORY of Jesus, had them ALL step back and fall to the ground. And all Jesus said was .... I AM HE!

I LOVE how they came to arrest Jesus, and when HE answered that HE IS JESUS OF NAZARETH... They all went backwards and fell to the ground....

Even the swardsmen, and stickbearers and JUDAS stepped back and fell to the ground before HIS GLORY! They had NO chance of arresting HIM if HE DID NOT WANT TOO!

When they were on the ground Jesus asked them again... WHOM SEEK THEE? .... And then He told them I am He, so let these (His disciples) go their way....

Then Simon chopped off the ear... ETC.

But what I love, is how the evil just CANNOT stand in HIS GLORY! Every time He came in contact with EVIL, they ALL FALL DOWN! That is what I love about Jesus! HOW HIS GLORY PREVAILS... ALWAYS!

C

cfultz3

Thanks Abiding and Crossnote, I reckoned everything about Jesus was a prophecy, even down to a little kiss.

Apr 6, 2012
In Biblical times the act of kissing or touching one’s lips to those of another (Proverbs 24:26), to another person’s cheek, or, in an exceptional case, even to his feet (Luke 7:37, 38, 44, 45), served as a token of affection or respect. Kissing was common not only between male and female relatives (Genesis 29:11; 31:28) but also between male relatives. (Genesis 27:26, 27; 45:15; Ex 18:7; 2 Samuel 14:33) It was likewise a gesture of affection between close friends.—1 Samuel 20:41, 42; 2 Samuel 19:39.Kissing might accompany a blessing. (Genesis 31:55) Aged Israel, or Jacob, kissed and embraced Joseph’s sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, before blessing their father and them. (Genesis 48:8-20) When the patriarch later finished giving commands to his 12 sons he expired, and “Joseph fell upon the face of his father and burst into tears over him and kissed him.” (Genesis 49:33–50:1) Samuel kissed Saul when anointing him as Israel’s first king.—1 Samuel 10:1.A fond greeting included kissing, perhaps accompanied by weeping and embracing. (Genesis 33:4) The father of the returning prodigal of Jesus Christ’s illustration fell upon his son’s neck and “tenderly kissed him.” (Luke 15:20) Kissing also went with a loving farewell. (Genesis 31:55; Ruth 1:9, 14) When the apostle Paul was about to depart from Miletus, the older men of the Ephesian congregation were so moved that they wept and “fell upon Paul’s neck and tenderly kissed him.”—Acts 20:17, 37.Kisses could be hypocritical. Absalom, shrewdly seeking power, kissed men who drew near to bow down to him. (2 Samuel 15:5, 6) Treacherous Joab’s kiss meant death to unsuspecting Amasa. (2 Samuel 20:9, 10) Also, it was with a deceitful kiss that Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus Christ.—Matthew 26:48, 49; Mark 14:44, 45.Among early Christians there was the “holy kiss” (Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:26) or “kiss of love” (1 Peter 5:14), possibly bestowed on individuals of the same sex. This early Christian form of greeting may correspond to the ancient Hebrew practice of greeting one with a kiss. Though the Scriptures provide no details, the “holy kiss” or “kiss of love” evidently reflected the wholesome love and unity prevailing in the Christian congregation.—John 13:34, 35.