The Burning Babe

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Custos_Clavium

I did not write this...but it is a favorite poem of mine, especially for Christmas:

As I in hoary winter's night stood shivering in the snow,
Surprised I was with sudden heat which made my heart to glow ;
And lifting up a fearful eye to view what fire was near,
A pretty babe all burning bright did in the air appear ;
Who, scorchëd with excessive heat, such floods of tears did shed
As though his floods should quench his flames which with his tears were fed.
Alas, quoth he, but newly born in fiery heats I fry,
Yet none approach to warm their hearts or feel my fire but I !
My faultless breast the furnace is, the fuel wounding thorns,
Love is the fire, and sighs the smoke, the ashes shame and scorns ;
The fuel justice layeth on, and mercy blows the coals,
The metal in this furnace wrought are men's defilëd souls,
For which, as now on fire I am to work them to their good,
So will I melt into a bath to wash them in my blood.
With this he vanished out of sight and swiftly shrunk away,
And straight I callëd unto mind that it was Christmas day.

- By Robert Southwell, SJ.

error

Oct 23, 2009
I just love it.

Have you seen this before? :)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ikY_8l3Go[/video]

C

Custos_Clavium

Oh, of course! that's how I discovered the poem!

I loooooove Sting!

error

Oct 23, 2009
Oh, of course! that's how I discovered the poem!

I loooooove Sting!
Nice.
I like him->too. I went to his concert some years ago. But it was nothing compared to this one. :)
And I just looooove this one.

C

Custos_Clavium

Yeah, I got to see him for his Desert Rose and Sacred Love tour. Also, I saw the Police reunion tour. AWESOME.

error

Oct 23, 2009
Do you know I BLAME COCO?

She is his daughter.

C

Custos_Clavium

Wow, I'll have to check that out!

How about Fiction Plane? The band is fronted by his son. They're pretty good.

May 2, 2011
To better understand The Burning Babe, it is
necessary to look to the historical events that surrounded the author.
Robert Southwell, a Jesuit priest, was born in Norfolk England in 1561 and at thirty-four
years of age he was dragged through the streets of London to the gallows where he was hanged,
drawn, and quartered.

He is an example of the religious conflicts of his day. The hostility between Catholic and
Protestant degenerated to persecution, torture, and executions, sadly on both sides. In England
during Southwell’s lifetime, it was illegal to be a Catholic priest. In fact, the mere act of
professing one’s Catholic faith was considered treasonous.

Though Southwell knew that it certainly meant martyrdom, he spent six years in zealous
missionary work throughout London, sometimes using disguises and moving from house to
house to avoid authorities. Finally, in 1592 he was arrested and subjected to atrocious cruelties
for nearly three years. He was examined thirteen times under torture and confined to a dungeon,
swarming with vermin. It was under these conditions that his poems were mostly written.
His are not poems of love; they are religious in nature. His poems reflect God’s hand in
everything around us. It is through Southwell’s poetry that we view his soul, even more so than
we do through the stories of his martyrdom.

Southwell sought to provide inspiration through his poetry. Writing from prison, he was
able to compose poems that spoke directly to his fellow Catholics. The persecution endured by
Catholics was terrible indeed, but it was also a time of honor and spiritual growth. Southwell was
an example of one who would not compromise his faith simply to save his life. It is believed that
The Burning Babe was written to provide the persecuted with strength to endure.

Commentary excerpted from Home | Maureen Wittmann

Let us pray that we too need not be dragged through the fires of hell to come to repentance. The Christmas season is a great time to witness to many Catholics and those affected by the Jesuit Influence as well as those in other religions of man. To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

I.n H.is S.ervice, Digital_Angel_316

C

Custos_Clavium

It's kinda scary, isn't it? ha!

His son's band opened for the Police during the reunion tour. It was perfect.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Neat video.