The Christian empath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
So this is a new and kind of tricky area for me. I was called something I have never heard before a few days ago called a Christian empath this term was new to me so I decided to find out about it I was pretty shocked because I saw a kind of personality test on it and fit every criteria except one the one being how appaarently empaths don't do well around large crowds which is the opposite for me.
For those who don't know like I didin't an empath is a person who has a natural gift to connect to people, you know how sometimes people say they get a wierd vibe from someone? Apparently an empath is highly sensative to these kind of vibes and can actually connect to people in a deeper level than most empaths tend to kind of absorb the emotions and feelings of other people if they are in a room with people who are stressed out they become the same way if they are in a room with people who are looking happy but give off a sad vibe they mourn for them if they are in a room with people who are upbeat they become upbeat. Empaths are able to put themselves in others shoes they can even get to the point where they carry the burdens of others they are very sensative very emotional people.

Ever since I was saved I have noticed certain things I have always been a sensitive and emotional person always a caring and forgiving person but nowhere near this degree once I was saved it was like everything about my personlity was greatly enhanced. I learned that people explain a Christian empath in many different ways but all along the same line they are highly sensative to others needs especially the broken hearted and wounded and weary they are highly sensative to the spirit and his voice they tend to also and this is actually empaths in general be attracted to nature they love the peacefulness and beauty of it and often will enjoy personal quality time alone with God they tend to soak in his spirit like water and do this most when they are overwhelemd because they just naturally take on what everyone else is going through

A Christian empath excels in love compassion understanding and empathy and they tend to walk in the gifts of healing word of knowledge word of wisdom prophecy and discernment of spirits and intercession They tend to bring a kind of light to the room they touch the hearts and spirits of others and tend to draw people to God This was all very fascininating to me and it was so uncanny and kind of odd how perfectly I lined up with all of this and there is much more I learned as well but I wanted to make this thread for several reasons first I wanted to know if any of this is in scripture is there anyone in the bible who fits the description of this and if you are an empath have you noticed God using you in this?

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
There is nothing I know of in scripture about this as a gift from God.

The fruits of the Spirit do lean highly towards empathy and compassion. also we are commanded to fervently love one another, so that would add a layer of feeling connected. We grieve with those who grieve and we laugh with those who laugh. we Should care and Be sincerely affected deeply by the trials and joys of others.

It would also add to it if we started to subconsciously look at others more in depth because we see their needs as more important than our own. We would find we notice the discrepancies in those actions and words and what is under the masks we all wear.

It is pretty hard to bear one another’s Burdens when we only look at the surface too.

Ok that aside this term you have used is one that also has a “non Christian” version. It is basically identical in every way to the traits of the person labelled Christian Empath. This worries me.

There is of course the gift of discernment. Knowing what “spirit” a person is of. The ”spirit” of fear for example is not from God. A person with discernment may pick up the person has this spirit even if it is not obvious. this is for the purpose of prayer or - in more Serious cases -deliverance.

i have looked into this subject myself
because I can relate to a lot of what you say.

The thing that worries me is this.

To “absorb” things opposed to the spirit of God beings us to dodgy ground. This isn’t biblical. The Spirit of God is greater than any other (spirit of a person) and He is a spirit of peace and joy. There must be self control, there must be a heavenly purpose. If the burdens of others weaken or begin to crush us then Satan has affected us both. If we are somehow “empowered by God” for want of a better phrase, to bear the burdens or to share in them to such a degree, we would also be fully in control of the experience and be able to still be strong and at peace despite being emotionally greatly moved.

Ultimately all of the gifts from God are for the edification of other believers (or even future believers possibly) - the building up of the church (Members obviously). If this is from God then there must be a purpose. does it bring the other person encouragement, relief, deliverance? Or do we just walk about weighed down inside in the same way the other people around us are? Does it drive us to prayer for individuals where the burden is lifted and left at Jesus feet or do we still carry it?

I am not challenging you or denying what you have said. I am simply asking these questions that I ask myself. The reason is because I know of “empaths” who are definitely lost but experience the same. Some are spiritualists and also have a heightened sense of peace in meditation etc. They basically have a heightened sense of everything Emotionally. There isn’t a purpose to it but they think they are more spiritually alive because they can sense other people’s true feelings and be one with them in it. Even if thy don’t speak to or know them....

We have to test everything. I was into a lot of new age stuff presalvation, and there are lots of self proclaimed empaths in the mix. I am not suggesting your (or my) experiences are ungodly but they must glorify God and build up the church if they come from a gift of God.

Jesus yoke is easy and His burden is light. We cast all our cares at His feet, are anxious for nothing (not even the burdens of others though we should have compassion always) and have a spirit of power, love and a sound mind and not fear or dread.

I suppose that is where my litmus test Is. Is there a point to it? Am I overwhelmed by it? Is it robbing my peace and joy? Does it build others up and am I in control of my emotions etc. Does it glorify God?

These are my thoughts :) I genuinely know what it is like to have this asba daily experience. I’ll say that. But these are the questions I asked myself. Afterall, we should not bury what We have been given by God but Use it for increase of the things of God - the kingdom. So we ask ourselves and God what is the purpose?

If it is something that goes beyond the fruit and the gifts then we need to ask God and ourselves if this hinders His purposes in our lives.

That is something only God and you know. I admire and love that you have the desire to bear others burdens. not all believers think this a necessary part of Christianity sadly. They are content with shallow Sunday greetings and not fervently lovingnone another and sharing all they have and being transparent and open etc.

We are one body. when one suffers we all suffer. This I can never say is wrong :)

thanks for letting me ramble on. A fascinating subject and I hope my thoughts are of some use.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
A Christian empath excels in love compassion understanding and empathy and they tend to walk in the gifts of healing word of knowledge word of wisdom prophecy and discernment of spirits and intercession They tend to bring a kind of light to the room they touch the hearts and spirits of others and tend to draw people to God
I agree with this post, it brings me joy.

It also makes me wonder. This is a Christian site, and almost everyone here studies and believes in scripture, yet a large percentage of posts are examples of lack of empathy.

To be a Christian is to know and believe in Phil. 4:8 telling us to see the best in everything. All of us want to defend all the word, but most people attack the person speaking of the word as they understand it if they differ in understanding rather than speaking of the word. That has no compassion or enmity in it, it is being judgmental as we are warned not to be. When we have enmity it gives a feeling of wanting to protect the person being attacked.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
This is really nothing more than trying to Christianize something that isn't Christian.
A person with empathy is one that is able to understand how someone feels and what they've been through without having been through it themselves.
Empath is a word that always made me uncomfortable. Every time I hear it all I can think if is New Age beliefs. And you'll commonly find the term connected to New Age sources.
I mean consider the similarly to the word Telepath. And I've seen empaths referred to as emotional telepaths.

Really typically an empath is just an introvert that they've added on this separate skill set and changed the label. Sort of a sub-type of introvert.
Personally I'd avoid use of the term empath and especially Christian empath.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I agree with this post, it brings me joy.

It also makes me wonder. This is a Christian site, and almost everyone here studies and believes in scripture, yet a large percentage of posts are examples of lack of empathy.

To be a Christian is to know and believe in Phil. 4:8 telling us to see the best in everything. All of us want to defend all the word, but most people attack the person speaking of the word as they understand it if they differ in understanding rather than speaking of the word. That has no compassion or enmity in it, it is being judgmental as we are warned not to be. When we have enmity it gives a feeling of wanting to protect the person being attacked.
Yeah sadly this is the status quo of the bible discussion forum we tend to get so caught up in the debates we lose the purpose of the debate to begin with and it becomes a constant back and forth.

Not that I am not guilty of doing this sometimes I get caught in debates as well but when we fail to show any fruits of the spirit how can we hope to actually do his work? There is a difference between defending his word and defending your stance on it and done without love which empathy joy life peace all these things come from yoou just have daggers and when those daggers are thrown at people it is those who have empathy towards others and who have his loving spirit that defend others when this happens.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
was called something I have never heard before a few days ago called a Christian empath this term was new to me
Empath is a New Age term and New Agers claim that it is connected with extra-sensory perception (ESP). I believe Christians should avoid New Age terminology.

"So for starters, what exactly is an Empath? An Empath is described as someone that has the ability to feel more deeply or profoundly than others. This “feeling” can be in the form of absorbing the energy of those around them or, possessing a much more powerful sense of intuition (often creeping into the realm of hypersensitivity, clairsentience and just plain weird) than the average person."

https://www.insidetherift.net/metaphysics/2015/8/26/a-brief-history-of-empathy-what-is-an-empath

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I wanted to make this thread for several reasons first I wanted to know if any of this is in scripture is there anyone in the bible who fits the description of this and if you are an empath have you noticed God using you in this?
As close as i have found may be:

1 Corinthians, Chapter 12:

7) But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8) For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9) To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

The gift of discerning of spirits serves us to know those spirits that are NOT of God, but the gift also serves us to know which spirits ARE of God. As for someone in the Bible who fits the description you gave in the OP. Jesus the Christ fits quite well. And, as we are to become LIKE Jesus, we should all strive to do the same, right?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Empath is a New Age term and New Agers claim that it is connected with extra-sensory perception (ESP). I believe Christians should avoid New Age terminology.

"So for starters, what exactly is an Empath? An Empath is described as someone that has the ability to feel more deeply or profoundly than others. This “feeling” can be in the form of absorbing the energy of those around them or, possessing a much more powerful sense of intuition (often creeping into the realm of hypersensitivity, clairsentience and just plain weird) than the average person."

https://www.insidetherift.net/metaphysics/2015/8/26/a-brief-history-of-empathy-what-is-an-empath
New age stuff? While I admit I do align with a lot of these things I don't know if it is wise to go to far into it I actually found some very odd people on youtube called empath psychic's this was a huge red flag for for me while others say a Christian empath actually is close to the nature of Jesus how he would be empathitic towards people, how he often would go into prayer alone how he would stand up for the people being put down sneered at and many other things.

Apparently there are also different kinds of Christian empaths one of them being classified as the warrior empath basically my personility having all the attributes of a normal empath but also having a sense of virture standing up for those who cannot stand for themselves ect.

At the very least this study of mine has shown a lot about myself so whether it is new age or not as long I hold firm to the truth I kind of want to see where this study takes me I do find it fascinating learning about different personlity types but in all honesty there are some very weird so called empaths out there