The Epistle of Forgiveness and Reconciliation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Philemon:

Cast:

1) The Apostle Paul. It is believed that at the time he wrote this letter, both Paul and Timothy were in prison. Either in Rome or Ephesus. The reasoning for this is because of how Paul introduces himself at the beginning of the Epistle in verse [ 1) Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,]

2)
Philemon. It is believed that Philemon was a “well off” or wealthy by the standards of the day, member of the church at Colossae because his house was large enough to host the church at Colossae which met there.

3)
Onesimus. Onesimus is believed to have been a slave belonging to Philemon who had run away, and somehow had met the Apostle and became a new believer and disciple of Christ.

4)
Apphia. Apphia was believed to be the wife of Philemon.

5)
Archippus. Archippus was a “fellow laborer” within the church at Colossae, and is assumed to have been the son of Philemon.

Essence of Epistle:

In essence, the Apostle Paul is writing on behalf of Onesimus, to implore Philemon to forgive him for having run away. This belief is questioned by some however. Yet, it is clear from the Epistle that there was a point of contention between Philemon and Onesimus, else, Paul would not have been writing Philemon asking him to forgive Onesimus.
Paul informs Philemon of Onesimus conversion to Christianity, and bases his request for forgiveness on that fact. Paul also asks Philemon to “reconcile” with Onesimus as they are now “brothers in Christ.”

Verse 10) I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: 11 .) Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me: 12 .) Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels: 13 .) Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel: 14 .) But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly. 15 .) For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; 16 .) Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord? 17 .) If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself.

In these scriptures lies the purpose clearly explained by the Apostle. Forgiveness and reconciliation! How important that is for all believers. How necessary to maintain Christian love and harmony among believers, and among all the Church.

Musings: What I really like is how the Apostle goes about giving Philemon reasons for forgiving and reconciling with Onesimus. He tells Philemon “not to lay any charges” or debts owed by Onesimus at his feet, but rather at Paul’s feet!

Verse 18) If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;

Paul is saying that Philemon is to hold no grudge or debt against Onesimus because of anything that might be owed him. Now, Paul doesn’t stop there………..rather he quite skillfully places Philemon in the position of not only being the one “owed” something, but in the position of one “owing” something! In this way, Paul is letting Philemon know that Onesimus isn’t the only one who might be indebted to another, and to use the same standard of judgment towards Onesimus that he, Philemon, would wish to be used towards himself. See verse 19.

19) I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

While Paul “claims” to “not say” how Philemon is indebted to him, in so doing, he clearly lets Philemon know the he is, in fact, indebted to Paul. Quite the strageic move on Paul’s part in my opinion.

In closing, Paul states that he fully expects Philemon to obey him in this matter, and, in fact, to go beyond what is expected in the forgiveness and reconciliation of/with Onesimus!

20) Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord. 21 .) Having confidence in thy obedience I wrote unto thee, knowing that thou wilt also do more than I say.

What a great Epistle! The shortest Epistle Paul penned, yet the lesson within is surely a lesson the whole Church should take to heart.

God bless, and remember to FORGIVE those who trespass against you, and to RECONCILE with them through the love of Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour!

(source for my writing found here: )

Epistle to Philemon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia