The Family Safety Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

I thought it would be cool for people to post safety tips/healthy advice for young parents/children here.

Mine:

So many children die needlessly from two very preventable causes - drowning and being locked in cars. Don't let this happen to anyone you know.

If you are a parent, you should know how to swim. If you don't know how, it's not too late to learn. How would you save your child if your child fell into a body of water? Be sure your child learns to swim as early as possible as well.

And please never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRR leave your child alone in a vehicle in any weather conditions for any amount of time whatsoever.

Take a CPR class and a First Aid Class. Know how to help yourself and your family in the event of an emergency. You never know how long it will be before emergency services can get to you.

Be a blessing by posting your tips! :)

S

shekaniah

Good thinking!

My advice is... make sure you give your children the best nutrition life has to offer.
Don't cut out junk food completely...use it for birthdays or celebrations.
But even then you can buy healthy choices.

My kids only got fast food if we were traveling or on vacation.

If you want kids that can use their brains to make good choices.
Give them the nutrition to help them think!!!

In His Love, Shekaniah

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Drowning can also occur in bathtubs so never live infants unattended in tubs even for just few seconds.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Small children think all doggies and kitties are friendly...they need to be taught early how to approach someone else's pet.

I friend of mine's daughter rushed up to my dog the other day and put her face right into my doggie's face and it scared me to death. My dog has a strange personality and is very defensive of her territory. Thank goodness my son grabbed the dog's collar and pulled her back quickly. My dog didn't have time to react and she probably wouldn't have done anything but I really don't want to test it.

S

shekaniah

I just thought of a good one...

Watch our words...
We can use them to build children up...
or make them full of guilt and shame.

When you take the time to explain why what they did was wrong...
They gain understanding and can see their mistake.

But...if you just scold them and say it was bad.
They in turn can think they are bad, not the action.

Also always give them a chance to tell their side of the story...
You might be surpised by why they did it.
(Innocent motives are some times behind what they do.)
Just getting to talk it through helps them to see it clearly.

Explain definition:
  1. give details about something: to give an account of something with enough clarity and detail to be understood by somebody else
  2. clarify meaning of something: to make the meaning of something clear to somebody
  3. give reason for something: to give the reason for something that has happened, often as justification for it

P

psychomom

I hate to even say this but when our children were not too little, and had been made aware that they couldn't trust strangers in public places, we taught them that IF someone ever did try to take them, they couldn't just cry, they had to try to remember to yell to passersby, "This is NOT my daddy/mommy. I need help!"
We also had a password for our family, so that if ever there were an emergency and someone other than us were to pick them up from wherever they were, that someone would know the password, or they ought not go with them.

It may be tricky for that to make sense with our faith and trust in the Lord. We spoke to them about being wise as serpents, innocent as doves, and also spent lots of time talking about God's goodness and love for them, reading them verses to back that up. :)
If a parent were to use this advice, they would know best if/when a child is ready to hear it. But a family password seems prudent to me these days.

When my friend Amanda's kids were teens and would walk into town (where there had literally never been a violent crime committed) she would call to them as they left the house, "If anyone tries to force you into their car, run! Better to be shot running away than to get in, and chances are you won't get hit anyway!" It sounds awful, and her children thought she was hilarious...but still...it always made me think.

The world is full of evil, but the Lord is good, and has triumphed over it! :)
~ellie

ps- sorry for the creepy post. :(

S

shekaniah

I hate to even say this but when our children were not too little, and had been made aware that they couldn't trust strangers in public places, we taught them that IF someone ever did try to take them, they couldn't just cry, they had to try to remember to yell to passersby, "This is NOT my daddy/mommy. I need help!"
We also had a password for our family, so that if ever there were an emergency and someone other than us were to pick them up from wherever they were, that someone would know the password, or they ought not go with them.

It may be tricky for that to make sense with our faith and trust in the Lord. We spoke to them about being wise as serpents, innocent as doves, and also spent lots of time talking about God's goodness and love for them, reading them verses to back that up. :)
If a parent were to use this advice, they would know best if/when a child is ready to hear it. But a family password seems prudent to me these days.

When my friend Amanda's kids were teens and would walk into town (where there had literally never been a violent crime committed) she would call to them as they left the house, "If anyone tries to force you into their car, run! Better to be shot running away than to get in, and chances are you won't get hit anyway!" It sounds awful, and her children thought she was hilarious...but still...it always made me think.

The world is full of evil, but the Lord is good, and has triumphed over it! :)
~ellie

ps- sorry for the creepy post. :(
I taught my kids to yell "you are a stranger and leave me alone!"
(And if that did not work...kick, bite or scratch.)
But I also taught them not to be fearful, if some one smiles or says hello...
it's o.k. to respond.

We did have code words.
If they got lost or separated from us, I told them to find some one who worked at the event or store
and ask for help.

One more thing...Ask Jesus For Help!!! :D