The Fig Tree.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Through the symbol of a Fig Tree the bible teaches us a lesson that many have missed. let us look at these occurrences so that we will not be deceived.

Lets first look at the Old testament.

Hos 9:10 I found Israel like grapes in the wilderness; I saw your fathers as the firstripe in the fig tree at her first time: but they went to Baalpeor, and separated themselves unto that shame; and their abominations were according as they loved.

Notice here that God likens Israel to grapes and a Fig Tree. Let us consider now another passage where the grape or vineyard is a symbol of Israel.

Isa 5:1 Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:
Isa 5:2 And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.
Isa 5:3 And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard.
Isa 5:4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?
Isa 5:5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down:
Isa 5:6 And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.
Isa 5:7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.

Notice that Israel and Judah are represented here as the Lords vineyard but it brought forth bad grapes. thus God was going to leave them to perish.

Now with these things in mind, lets go to the New Testament. First we look at the words of John the Baptist when speaking to the Pharasees and Sadducees.

Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Notice that He warns then that they need to bring forth Fruits which are the meet of repentance.

Mat 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Then John clarifies in verse 9 that just because they are physical children of Abraham does not save them. Notice the words raise up stones. This was a term used by the Jewish people against Gentiles. They called them Dogs, swine, stones etc. stones was to refer to their stony heart.

So John is saying that God can raise up spiritual children from among the Gentiles.

Mat 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

now notice that John speaks of the axe is at the root of the "trees" and all those trees that don't bring forth fruit will be cut down and burned.

keep this in mind. now notice these words of Jesus.

Luk 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
Luk 13:2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
Luk 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luk 13:4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
Luk 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Now notice what Jesus said here. He speaks of those who do not repent that they will perish. but now notice what he says next.

Luk 13:6 He spake also this parable; A certain man (God the Father) had a fig tree (Israel) planted in his vineyard (world); and he came and sought fruit(repentance, spirit fruit) thereon, and found none.
Luk 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
Luk 13:8 And he (Jesus) answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
Luk 13:9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Notice here in Jesus Parable God sees No fruit on Israel and thus says to cut it down. but Jesus asks for one year to try and get fruit to appear. Its important to know the timing here. scholars know that this parable is about 2 and a half years into Jesus ministry. interestingly enough John the Baptist preached 6 months before Jesus began. that give us three years. in this time no fruit had grown. so Jesus says give me one year. Approximately one year after that time Jesus died on the cross.

Remember what Jesus said, If it bear no fruit then it shall be cut down.

So the same as John the baptist. if no fruit then it will be cut down.

Mat 21:17 And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there.
Mat 21:18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
Mat 21:19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

notice that Jesus cursed this fig tee because when it should have fruit it did not. now look at what the disciples said the next day.

Mar 11:20 And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.
Mar 11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

Notice it is dried up from the roots. remember John said the axe is at the root.

Now notice another parable from Jesus regarding the vineyard like in Isaiah.

Mat 21:33 Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country:
Mat 21:34 And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it.
Mat 21:35 And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another.

Notice that God sent servants to collect fruit but the beat these servants and killed them. This is refering to the prophets God sent before the Babylonian captivity.

Mat 21:36 Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise[/COLOR

After the captivity God sent more prophets than before, as we see in the old testament.

Mat 21:37 But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.
Mat 21:38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.
Mat 21:39 And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him.
Mat 21:40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?

Then next God sends Jesus. and they kill him. thus Jesus is about to tell them what will be their end because of this act of killing the son.

Mat 21:41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

Notice their answer, destroy the current occupants and give it to others, remember John said that God will raise up children from the Stones/Gentiles.

So Jesus teaches that unless Israel repents then they will surly be rejected as a nation under God. and the kingdom will be given to the Gentiles.

So we ask ourselves, did they kill the son? Yes they did thus they are no longer the chosen nation.

This was prophesied in Daniel.

Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

notice seventy weeks are determined for them to finish breaking the law and stop sinning. or in other words they had seventy weeks to repent and bring fourth fruit of repentance. Jesus was clear that as a nation they would be rejected if they rejected Him. that is exactly what they did.

This is why Paul said these things.

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Notice this last one Paul speaks of how even though he is a Jew by flesh he counts it nothing bu dung. but rather he is a Jew in spirit through Jesus. amen.

Stop looking to Israel, Jesus has made it clear that Israel turned away from God. Spiritual Israel is the focus not. blessings.

T

Trax

Stop looking to Israel, Jesus has made it clear that Israel turned away from God. Spiritual Israel is the focus not. blessings.

The twelve Apostles and the 3000 saved on the day of pentacost were all Gentiles????

Just remember this,
Psa 89:34-37 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. (35) Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David. (36) His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me. (37) It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

David didn't rule a "spiritual Israel." David ruled a REAL nation of REAL Jews. A REAL nation of REAL
Jews is Jesus inheritance. You are saying its gone. Verse 35, God said He wasn't lying about
this Kingdom. You are in direct conflict with God on this issue. You are basiclly arguing with
the Son of God, and telling Him that He has casted off His own Kingdom, His inheritance and that
God can not be trusted. Your post seems more along the lines as an attack against God.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Interesting, But if you note it is Jesus who said:

Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
Mat 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

and the parables above showed that they had their chance.

Now lets look at the scripture that you have used.

Psa 89:34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
Psa 89:35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
Psa 89:36 His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.
Psa 89:37 It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

who is this referring to?

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Jesus is the seed of David that His seed, not seeds. and this seed (singular) shall sit on a throne. and be established forever as a witness where? In Heaven.

This is a prophecy concerning Jesus.

Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

notice before these few verses you sighted.

Psa 89:29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
Psa 89:30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
Psa 89:31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
Psa 89:32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
Psa 89:33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.

notice again that his seed will endure forever but the children will be visited for their transgression.

Who are the children? Israel are the children. but the seed refers to Jesus.

Even if the transgression is visited on the children even so will god be faithful to his promise to send the Messiah to save.

Remember God gave Israel 490 years in Daniel 9 to stop transgression. anyway clearly this text does not support your assertion. which is not surprising being that Jesus himself as I showed in original post said that they would be punished and there house would be left desolate. that means that God was leaving them.

Blessings.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
by the way I said that Israel was no longer chosen as a nation. I did not say that Jews could not be saved. two very different things.

A

Abiding

Very nice work gotme...its right there in the bible isnt it?

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Amen Abiding, I think Jesus was very clear. God didn't want it this way, but Israel as a nation made its choice. praise God for His mercy though. Even after they crucified Him He sent His disciples with the message of forgiveness to them first. wow.

A

Abiding

The twelve Apostles and the 3000 saved on the day of pentacost were all Gentiles????

Just remember this,
Psa 89:34-37 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. (35) Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David. (36) His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me. (37) It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

David didn't rule a "spiritual Israel." David ruled a REAL nation of REAL Jews. A REAL nation of REAL
Jews is Jesus inheritance. You are saying its gone. Verse 35, God said He wasn't lying about
this Kingdom. You are in direct conflict with God on this issue. You are basiclly arguing with
the Son of God, and telling Him that He has casted off His own Kingdom, His inheritance and that
God can not be trusted. Your post seems more along the lines as an attack against God.

AND HE SHALL REIGN OVER THE HOUSE OF JACOB FOREVER,
AND OF HIS KINGDOM THERE SHALL BE NO END.”

(Luke 1:31-33 KJV)

“For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

(II Peter 1:11 KJV)

“The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it;
Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.”

(Psalms 132:11 KJV)

“Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up CHRIST to sit on his throne.”

(Acts 2:29, 30 KJV)

31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
35 until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet.”’[a]
36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

See all has come to pass

Last edited:
A

Abiding

Amen Abiding, I think Jesus was very clear. God didn't want it this way, but Israel as a nation made its choice. praise God for His mercy though. Even after they crucified Him He sent His disciples with the message of forgiveness to them first. wow.
Yes and all Israel(believing remnant only) will be saved daily such as should be.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Amen to that. God is Good.

A

Abiding

Just remember this,

gottime isnt saying that Jesus did....Matthew 23:37-39

Matthew 23:37-39

37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. 38 Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.

Notice verse 39...they come now through the cross

But Peter talked about a Royal Priesthood and Holy Nation.....as prophecied...made up of Jews and gentiles
from every nation, kindred, And tongue...as also prophecied.

Last edited:
T

Trax

by the way I said that Israel was no longer chosen as a nation. I did not say that Jews could not be saved. two very different things.
Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Study that verse. God saw what the nation of Israel would do, long before He chose Abraham.
If God was going to cast off Israel as a nation, He never would have created it to start with.
And He never would have used that nation to bring forth the Christ. He chose Abraham and his
decendants, to bring forth the Christ because they were stiff necked and hard headed, to show the
rest of the world His love and faithfulness. To show that YES God will correct wicked behavior
and offer mercy and forgiveness when repentive. But your point of view is God will drop you
if you get out of line too much. My God is faithful and true and when He makes a promise, He keeps
it. The nation of Israel, the physical nation, belongs to Jesus. As it was written above His head on the
cross, "The King of the Jews". The ONLY and I mean ONLY way for Israel to be cast off as a nation
is for Jesus to still be dead.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Study that verse. God saw what the nation of Israel would do, long before He chose Abraham.
If God was going to cast off Israel as a nation, He never would have created it to start with.
And He never would have used that nation to bring forth the Christ. He chose Abraham and his
decendants, to bring forth the Christ because they were stiff necked and hard headed, to show the
rest of the world His love and faithfulness. To show that YES God will correct wicked behavior
and offer mercy and forgiveness when repentive. But your point of view is God will drop you
if you get out of line too much. My God is faithful and true and when He makes a promise, He keeps
it. The nation of Israel, the physical nation, belongs to Jesus. As it was written above His head on the
cross, "The King of the Jews". The ONLY and I mean ONLY way for Israel to be cast off as a nation
is for Jesus to still be dead.
Friend, let me just examine this logic for a second.

By your logic God should have never created Lucifer/Satan.

Jesus should never have chosen Judas as a Disciple.

God should never have chosen Saul as King of Israel.

Yet He did, and Saul, Satan, and Judas all left God.

In fact Saul is an example of where God left Him because He would not repent.

Saul is an example of Israel as a nation under God.

You are right that God offers forgiveness to those who Repent. Israel as a nation did not Repent. God gave them more than enough chance. He sent many prophets and then even His own Son and they still rejected Him. God In his mercy has left salvation open to individuality Jews to still be grafted back in the vine. But just like Saul, Israel as a nation grieved away the Spirit of God.

By their unwillingness to repent and accept the Son of God/Jesus they pushed God away. This is a lesson for all of us. We should not take the love and mercy of God for granted or else like these examples we will find ourselves cast into the lake of fire in the end.

A

Abiding

Paul said God didnt cast them off.

Read Romans 9-11

The nation Yes for a Holy nation

True Israel is eternal...they started the church and are being saved daily.

The children of the flesh never were heirs of the promise.

Read the last couple verses of Matt 23 and ponder.

T

Trax

Friend, let me just examine this logic for a second.

By your logic God should have never created Lucifer/Satan.

Jesus should never have chosen Judas as a Disciple.

God should never have chosen Saul as King of Israel.

Yet He did, and Saul, Satan, and Judas all left God.

In fact Saul is an example of where God left Him because He would not repent.

Saul is an example of Israel as a nation under God.

You are right that God offers forgiveness to those who Repent. Israel as a nation did not Repent. God gave them more than enough chance. He sent many prophets and then even His own Son and they still rejected Him. God In his mercy has left salvation open to individuality Jews to still be grafted back in the vine. But just like Saul, Israel as a nation grieved away the Spirit of God.

By their unwillingness to repent and accept the Son of God/Jesus they pushed God away. This is a lesson for all of us. We should not take the love and mercy of God for granted or else like these examples we will find ourselves cast into the lake of fire in the end.
1. God made Abraham's children into a great nation
Gen 18:17-19 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do; (18) Seeing that
Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be
blessed in him? (19) For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and
they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon
Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

2. How do Gentiles get saved?
Gal 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

3. So, if Jesus cast off the nation of Israel, ALL Gentile believers have been cast off as well.

We are NOT a different nation. Jesus did NOT cast off one nation and start another.
What Jesus did, was bring Gentiles in by adoption. The nation of Israel is back.
If the nation of Israel is back, AFTER God HIMSELF cast it off,, what does that say about God???
Its an insult to God. It says the power of man is greater than God. Because if God cast something
off, it doesn't come back. It is starting to appear, that we are not following the same God here.

A

Abiding

Trax i can explain if youd like
No Israel is still receiving the promise just
not through the children of the flesh.

But maybe some other time. :)