The 'good old days' of well-loved hymns are gone? What's your take on this?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Guy walks up to the "pearly gates" and St Peter asks him... "So, what good things did you do with your life?"
The guy says "I wrote praise songs. I wrote praise songs. I wrote praise songs.... praise songs... "
Since I'm part of the Bluegrass community here in Dallas, I get my "Real" church music at bluegrass jams, since all we do in the Assemblies of God are "contemporary" choruses - "I am who I am because the I AM tells me who I am" repeated 9 times to a strong drum beat (the new "Bridge" to "There's a new name written down in Glory".

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Hi All
I grew up in a Baptist church playing the piano for traditional hymns, mostly (around 1970s - 1980s). I owe this experience to my musical skill development and confidence. However, as I got into secular gigs (I was forced to do this to pay off debts) I found myself using more secular styles of playing, but I had the insight to always keep my playing as 'clean' as possible, staying close to the original chord structures in the hymns. So then I stopped playing in church because I went overseas (Asia) and played pro mostly, at hotels etc. Fast forward to contemporary church 'worship' music today, and I believe that the original essence of what is needed to create an atmosphere of worship is lost in many ways. Today's mega-churches have mega-bands/dancers/lighting etc not much unlike regular pop concerts. Although I haven't had the opportunity to play regularly in a long while, I still miss those classic hymns accompanied by a solo piano. Sorry for sounding like I'm venting! I probably am! Over to you guys....
amen those old hymns were basically quoted from scripture

I can remember as a kid in the late 50s my momma was always singing really low and soft some hymn from church. Now days I find the lyrics she always made sound pretty , in scripture

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I never gave it much thought. But I did come across a site where it was claimed that at this time there is no music in Heaven. I don't recall the reasoning or the site. Now I get the sense from the Scriptures that some of you musicians first performance will be in The New Jerusalem coming down from Heaven.
“And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭5:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭5:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭15:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

theres at least musical
Instruments and song represented in heaven

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Some people complain about modern praise and worship, saying it is too cloying and meant to
stir up the emotions etc which is kind of the opposite of what you are saying. Or even that is is
lacking in doctrine which I find kind of funny/peculiar because one does not need to recite
doctrine in sing-song to praise and/or worship God. People have different tastes and varying
reasons for what they prefer. You like the old-time hymns, and some do not care for them as much
as other forms of worship. Is there not room enough in this world and in the family of God for both?
yeah amen a lot of todays music is annointed for sure some isn’t of course but it’s always been like that individual basis is how to choose good music not general assumptions and summaries

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Since I'm part of the Bluegrass community here in Dallas, I get my "Real" church music at bluegrass jams, since all we do in the Assemblies of God are "contemporary" choruses - "I am who I am because the I AM tells me who I am" repeated 9 times to a strong drum beat (the new "Bridge" to "There's a new name written down in Glory".
An interesting concept.., a bluegrass rendition of " The King is Coming"

Would love to see that.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Hi All
I grew up in a Baptist church playing the piano for traditional hymns, mostly (around 1970s - 1980s). I owe this experience to my musical skill development and confidence. However, as I got into secular gigs (I was forced to do this to pay off debts) I found myself using more secular styles of playing, but I had the insight to always keep my playing as 'clean' as possible, staying close to the original chord structures in the hymns. So then I stopped playing in church because I went overseas (Asia) and played pro mostly, at hotels etc. Fast forward to contemporary church 'worship' music today, and I believe that the original essence of what is needed to create an atmosphere of worship is lost in many ways. Today's mega-churches have mega-bands/dancers/lighting etc not much unlike regular pop concerts. Although I haven't had the opportunity to play regularly in a long while, I still miss those classic hymns accompanied by a solo piano. Sorry for sounding like I'm venting! I probably am! Over to you guys....
There are many hymns of old that should stay dead and buried. There are many that are eternal value. I am musical - I play guitar. Most modern "Christian" music is pathetic. Since the 1980's it seems that the name "Jesus" no longer is included in lyrics. It's the name above all names, so surely Jesus should get a mention? Sure, there are exceptions. Not nearly enough.

So-called worship is often just Christian entertainment, like a dessert without a main course.

Why does it matter? One reason is that it is much easier to memorise words that are set to music. If the words are truth from God's word, we do well to memorise them. And I believe that worship in spirit and in truth means that our words matter as well as our heart attitude.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
There are many hymns of old that should stay dead and buried. There are many that are eternal value. I am musical - I play guitar. Most modern "Christian" music is pathetic. Since the 1980's it seems that the name "Jesus" no longer is included in lyrics. It's the name above all names, so surely Jesus should get a mention? Sure, there are exceptions. Not nearly enough.

So-called worship is often just Christian entertainment, like a dessert without a main course.

Why does it matter? One reason is that it is much easier to memorise words that are set to music. If the words are truth from God's word, we do well to memorise them. And I believe that worship in spirit and in truth means that our words matter as well as our heart attitude.
Well by using God, companies can sell the same music to non Christians. That's why they take Jesus out of the music, it's no longer worship music but entertainment music. Because Hindus have a good, Muslims have a god, satanists have a god,

They replace Jesus with God not out of respect but to make more money on the music.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
Well by using God, companies can sell the same music to non Christians. That's why they take Jesus out of the music, it's no longer worship music but entertainment music. Because Hindus have a good, Muslims have a god, satanists have a god,

They replace Jesus with God not out of respect but to make more money on the music.
A sad greedy world.
Matthew 24:11-12 KJV
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. [12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

S

SanderB

Some people complain about modern praise and worship, saying it is too cloying and meant to
stir up the emotions etc which is kind of the opposite of what you are saying. Or even that is is
lacking in doctrine which I find kind of funny/peculiar because one does not need to recite
doctrine in sing-song to praise and/or worship God. People have different tastes and varying
reasons for what they prefer. You like the old-time hymns, and some do not care for them as much
as other forms of worship. Is there not room enough in this world and in the family of God for both?
I definitely enjoy both old hymns and modern artists like Toby Mac and Lauren Daigle. Just not the autotuned stuff of the mid-2010s though.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

Yes. I read about a rock band that saw Christians as a market and so sang a few "god" songs. The band leader was horrified when one of his fans came up after the concert and asked to pray for him. "Amazing Grace" is a great hymn but does not include the name of Jesus. So worldly performers are able to sing it without any conviction.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Yes. I read about a rock band that saw Christians as a market and so sang a few "god" songs. The band leader was horrified when one of his fans came up after the concert and asked to pray for him. "Amazing Grace" is a great hymn but does not include the name of Jesus. So worldly performers are able to sing it without any conviction.

I can testify to this. When I was a professional musician, I learned to sing Amazing Grace. I had no idea what the words meant. But it was a real show stopper, when I played in bars and pubs! People used to love it. How can you sit drunk in a bar, and claim to love Jesus?

After Jesus saved me, I understood the words. I never sang it again in a secular place. In fact, I never sang in a bar again. But I did start singing it in church. It has been my theme song since then. Because Jesus really did save a wretch like me! And his grace is amazing!

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Really?? Wow, I never heard of that.
That's the problem, if your not Christian you shouldn't sell Christian stuff. Christian music, worship and entertainment should be left to the Christian community.

If your a a secular person you should stick to the secular crowd.

I was raised in a secular home before becoming a Christian so I struggle with old habits and routines.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Really?? Wow, I never heard of that.
That's the problem, if your not Christian you shouldn't sell Christian stuff. Christian music, worship and entertainment should be left to the Christian community.

If your a a secular person you should stick to the secular crowd.

I was raised in a secular home before becoming a Christian so I struggle with old habits and routines.
"Should" is meaningless when it comes to money. Secular performers routinely have albums of Christmas Carols, usually mixing them with Jingle Bells or other meaningless drivel songs.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
"And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard."

“And when you are praying, do not use thoughtless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard because of their many words."

"And praying, do not use vain repetitions like the pagans, for they think that in their many words they will be heard."

Matthew 6:7, Berean, Literal and NASB

God is not deaf and not stupid. He hears us the first time.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
"Should" is meaningless when it comes to money. Secular performers routinely have albums of Christmas Carols, usually mixing them with Jingle Bells or other meaningless drivel songs.
I know, when we were kids our parents played both secular and Christian Christmas music,. While supposedly waiting for Santa Clause to show up Christmas Eve.

It's ruined Christmas for me to know my life was built on a lie. I was 13 when my parents finally told me their was no Santa Clause.

Years ago my mom revealed people were afraid I was going to be another school shooter,. Well how can parents and educators lie to me my whole life and expect me to be ok with it and understanding?? Especially when they force to be in a place I hate and get constantly bullied by kids.

I feel if my parents had raised me in Christian home that my life would have turned out a lot better than it has.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
I know, when we were kids our parents played both secular and Christian Christmas music,. While supposedly waiting for Santa Clause to show up Christmas Eve.

It's ruined Christmas for me to know my life was built on a lie. I was 13 when my parents finally told me their was no Santa Clause.

Years ago my mom revealed people were afraid I was going to be another school shooter,. Well how can parents and educators lie to me my whole life and expect me to be ok with it and understanding?? Especially when they force to be in a place I hate and get constantly bullied by kids.

I feel if my parents had raised me in Christian home that my life would have turned out a lot better than it has.
There is nothing that you can do to change the past. However, you can let Jesus heal and deliver you from the wounds of the past. This will come to pass when you forgive everyone every wrong that they've ever done you. While you maintain an attitude of unforgiveness, you remain in bondage.

How, you might ask? We have no ability to forgive to God's standard, which is "from the heart". There is an answer. The following article is long, but if you read it and follow its guidance, you will gain your freedom.

https://www.christianlife.org.au/can-you-forgive-from-your-heart

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
There is nothing that you can do to change the past. However, you can let Jesus heal and deliver you from the wounds of the past. This will come to pass when you forgive everyone every wrong that they've ever done you. While you maintain an attitude of unforgiveness, you remain in bondage.

How, you might ask? We have no ability to forgive to God's standard, which is "from the heart". There is an answer. The following article is long, but if you read it and follow its guidance, you will gain your freedom.

https://www.christianlife.org.au/can-you-forgive-from-your-heart
I'll try to forgive, but my parents never taught me how to forgive or why. My dad at 61 years old died holding grudges against people. I think my mom still hold grudges too.

That's why I defend the faith, I've seen and experienced the damnation of a Christless world. I have no hesitation saying if my parents had raised me as a Christian my life would be a lot better than it is now.

In this case I have no probl quoting a Rambo movie.... "Live for nothing or die for something".

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia

Hope you don’t mind me joining here, but I couldn’t not write to you, to say that God has better days for us if we seek him diligently.
As a Christian we do have times of sorrow/trials and with the peace of sins forgiven we continue our walk with the Lord. I find talking/communing with the Lord during the day is very rewarding and helpful.
Jeremiah 29:11-13 KJV
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. [12] Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. [13] And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Hebrews 11:6 KJV
But without faith it is impossible to please him : for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia

God has been teaching me to look at Him because He never fails us.
Sometimes we make the mistake of trusting fellow humans, especially ones that profess to be Christian.
I was devastated when a fellow christian did me wrong, I couldn’t run away far enough, so heartbroken and angry all at once. It took a number of years for me to calm down enough, for God to be able to plead with me to return. God had to remind me that I was human also, and capable of error. Forgiveness was not a problem. But it’s such a miracle that God brought me back. Now I can say…..
Psalm 118:5 KJV
I called upon the Lord in distress: the Lord answered me, and set me in a large place.
Never lose heart, God wants to take us on,
2 Peter 3:18 KJV
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.