The Gospel.. Bad news, sad news, mad news or Good news?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Miah45

SO.. it's beyond me how lost we are on the basics sometimes... take the Gospel for example
Do we really know what it means?
Anyone who speaks Greek or has a concordance can tell you it means
'good news or good message'

Generally when I receive good news I'm super happy or have a smile on my face. You'd think that would give me a clue towards the normal desired result? No... seems so much of our wonderful 'good news' sounds more like bad news, sad news or news to simply make us mad (bear in mind it wasn't lost sinners that got mad at Jesus but religious believers)

I picked one of the gospels and did an overview of what Jesus said and did (bearing in mind he said lots of things) BUT...
what did he DO the most and SAY the most?
Look at any of the Gospels (remember it means 'Good news'!) and see what he did and said... (look at how often he really went on about Hell and the End times and look at its context!)
Oh and check out in a concordance what REPENT means.. it's no wonder he could ask men to 'repent' in light of what he and the disciples did...

No wonder the Gospel is called GOOD NEWS!

I guarantee if we decide to become this kind of 'little Anointed One':
1) we're going to be the happiest people ALIVE
2) We're going to have SO MUCH FUN!!

Seriously... have we stopped and thought that Jesus took one of his followers like you and me out on a lesson in how to walk on water! FOR FUN!!
Let's face it.. if he was so serious and proper wondering what people would think of him.. he could of found a boat!!! LOL

ANYWAY

Here's an overview of MARK

Mark 1:14
"Jesus came to Galilee preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God"
Mark 1:15
".. the kingdom of God is at hand, Repent and believe in the gospel

(gospel = good news repent= think differently)

1:26 - Deliverance
1:31 - Healing
1:34 - Healings/Deliverance
1:39 - Deliverances
1:41 - Healing
2:12 - Healing
3:5 - Healing
3:10 - Healing
3:15 - Healing
3:20 - Attacked by religious for moving supernaturally
4:26 - parable on the kingdom
4:30 - parable on the kingdom
4: 39 - Miracle over nature/demonic realm
5:13 Deliverance
5:29 Healing
5:42 Raises the Dead
6:5 Healing

6:12 " so they went out and preached that people should repent (change their minds)
6:13 Healings and Deliverances
6:42 Miracle
6:49 Miracle over nature (for fun?)
6:56 Healings
7:30 Deliverance (remote)
7:35 Healing
8:8 Miracle
8:25 Healing
9:2 Supernatural sign
9:4 Supernatural encounter with the dead
9:7 Supernatural voice
9:26 Deliverance
9: 43 Hell (in response to the disciples)
9:45 Hell (in response to the disciples)
9:47 Hell and the Kingdom (in response to the disciples)
10:14 -15 Kingdom
10:17 Jesus asked (not teaching or preaching) about eternal life
10:23-25 Kingdom
10:30 eternal life in response to the question in 10:17
10:52 Healing
11:2 Prophetic insight
11:21 Supernatural sign
11:28 Jesus hassled by religious for moving supernaturally
11:38 Jesus warns about the lifestyle of the religious (not the lost 'sinners'!)
12:4 Jesus talks about the end times (in response to the disciples question)
13:3 Jesus hangs at an unclean 'sinners' house
13:16 Prophetic insight
16:6 Rises from the dead!

H

Hope

He wants us to be happpppyyyyy. Isnt that amazing??He wants us to have abundancy, he wants us to be free and healthy and smiled. Thanks for reminding me that! YAAAAY!!!! :D

M

Miah45

He wants us to be happpppyyyyy. Isnt that amazing?? :D
I know right? It's so refreshing to know he made us to be happy, and said the kingdom is full of it... (peace and JOY!)

I'm wondering whether God will let me one day fish on top of the water even though I have perfectly good waders? JUST FOR FUN!!! :)

I'm going to ask him... I think I'd wet myself laughing so hard!

hahaha :)

H

Hope

perfect idea...awesome! he said we will do greater things then He did while on Earth. LOL i even cant imagine what else He's gonna do through us/ for us. But it will be soooo fun, i bet.

S

suaso

We should be happy to know that salvation is a possibility for us, but I think the realization of how it is possible for us ought to make us a little more serious. Believing the Gospel means making drastic changes, which because of our nature, might mean spending the rest of our lives in self-denial and some discomfort (I think especially of those Christians living in places like Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Turkey, China, etc). Real spiritual matruity comes, I think, when we are able to truly unite our sufferings to Christ and rejoice in our trials, knowing the Love which saved us through such difficulties. Some of the happiest people I know are those that society would say "never have any fun."

M

Miah45

...might mean spending the rest of our lives in self-denial and some discomfort (I think especially of those Christians living in places like Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Turkey, China, etc). Real spiritual matruity comes, I think, when we are able to truly unite our sufferings to Christ and rejoice in our trials, knowing the Love which saved us through such difficulties. Some of the happiest people I know are those that society would say "never have any fun."
Hey ... thanks for posting... after 10 years myself in the mission field in some of the places you mentioned.. I hear what you're saying. I think joy is especially important in the places I've lived and that Christians have fun by messing peoples lives up with miracles ... I'm convinced that would have saved so many of my dear missionary friends from burn out.

I agree totally with you about maturity, but I think sometimes seriousness is mistaken for maturity or soberness (both of which are great) and is often more like depression stemming from a twisted view of the Father. I find it amusing that the first thing the Father did at Pentecost was make sure all were intoxicated with his presence, love and power.. so much so that people thought they were drunk. I'm sure you know the story.

For what I've seen and continue to see both on and off the mission field, I have a very serious prayer life.. one that must be balanced with the fun and joy the world needs and that the father gives..

Thanks again for sharing.

Let me know how the miracles are going as you step out.. maybe we can start filling up the testimonies forum together with new posts???!!

That would be so exciting.. especially for those being persecuted who need so much encouragement and reminding our God is AWESOME!

H

Hope

U cannot make someone happy if u r not happy by urself. Its not about being in comfortable situation, its sometimes costs a lot, BUT u can be happy simply cuz u have a real God in ur life who takes care of u and loves u. I remeber myself rejected by my family when I gave my life to Christ...although it hurt a lot, I was the most happy ever... He just was so close :D

R

roaringkitten

The gospel is the BEST news one can ever hear......But did we tell the unsaved that they were sinners before God? That they deserved hell-fire because of offending an all just God? Jesus warned on many occasions of the dangers of hell in his ministry. Does the sinner know why he should trust in Jesus?

I find it appalling that many who preach the gospel today, water down the part where it talks about sinners. Jesus offended MANY unsaved people.....He was killed for being the PERFECT truth! Make sure when the gospel is being preached, you tell them WHY they need Jesus.

S

suaso

Yeah, I don't like a lot of the wishy-washy "just be a nice person" stuff I hear from a lot of people. One of the monks of the monastery here gave a great homily that I wish I could get a copy of. It was right to the point and minced no words about sin and why we need Jesus. It was like getting a lecture from your dad when you're a teen, but much more appreciated!

M

Miah45

The gospel is the BEST news one can ever hear......But did we tell the unsaved that they were sinners before God? That they deserved hell-fire because of offending an all just God? Jesus warned on many occasions of the dangers of hell in his ministry. Does the sinner know why he should trust in Jesus?

I find it appalling that many who preach the gospel today, water down the part where it talks about sinners. Jesus offended MANY unsaved people.....He was killed for being the PERFECT truth! Make sure when the gospel is being preached, you tell them WHY they need Jesus.

Hey thanks for writing.. :) You know you're right that Yeshua first loved us when we were dead in our sins.

You say Jesus warned many times on the dangers of hell.. and indeed as the original post shows he did respond to the disciples questions mentioning the danger. What percentage of his ministry and teaching would you allocate for this? You can use the overview in the original post if that helps.

If we're going to be appalled... shouldn't we be appalled at the lack of signs and wonders accompanying the believer who heralds the Good News? It does seem to be unanimous that this was the major thrust of Jesus ministry and of the Good News.

I bet you know someone who's an Evangelist... How are they doing in the healing miracles department? Are you seeing them in your life more than the Evangelists you know?
I'd be very interested to hear how its going for you..

R

roaringkitten

Miah, I must admit that for a while as a confused Christian, I did not witness/evangelize the gospel the way the Lord instructs us to do. I am guilty and I am 100% accountable to God in my conduct in how I witnessed....I used to just tell them they needed Jesus without telling them why....Hell is such a horrendous terrible place, it must be preached! Not to condemn people, because the Word ALREADY condemns them. But to tell them you care for their souls, and warn them of the dangers of hellfire....And that Jesus is the Savior if they trust in Him alone 100% to save them from their sins....

Concerning signs and wonders, it certainly is a sign that you care for someone by warning them of hell(do it in LOVE and GENTLENESS but without compromise)....But I do not believe the apostolic "signs and wonders" are for today....Although I do believe in tongues and prophecy(the way the Word teaches it)....When people abuse it, like the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians, Chistians are not effective for the Lord.

I believe that ONE person doing no signs and wonders but preaching a sound gospel is a hundred fold more effective than 100 preachers who water down the gospel....I do have a problem with how the charismatic followers today are doing signs and wonders, but that is something to be discussed on another thread.

The bigger question should be how many Christians are actively sharing their faith? If we all got serious and witnessed the gospel to folks we would reap a large harvest for the Lord. I know from experience when I went out to share the gospel with others, it feels better than anything I have ever done in my lfetime, to serve the Lord.

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise." Proverbs 11:30

R

Rosinsky

Roaringkitten,

Just out of curiosity, have you been read any books of Kirck Cameron and Ray comfort by any chance?

RJ

M

Miah45

.But I do not believe the apostolic "signs and wonders" are for today....Although I do believe in tongues and prophecy(the way the Word teaches it)....When people abuse it, like the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians, Chistians are not effective for the Lord.
THANK YOU SOO much for sharing where you're coming from. Though it's clear we disagree ..I respect your position!

BLESSINGS!
:)

R

roaringkitten

Just out of curiosity, have you been read any books of Kirck Cameron and Ray comfort by any chance?

I have not, but I do have a problem with Ray Comfort's definition of "repentance"(online source).....He is wonderfully correct on 99% of what he says theologically but concerning repentance I do have a big problem.....See my thread on "Biblical Repentance" as I explain my position fully....

R

Rosinsky

I have not, but I do have a problem with Ray Comfort's definition of "repentance"(online source).....He is wonderfully correct on 99% of what he says theologically but concerning repentance I do have a big problem.....See my thread on "Biblical Repentance" as I explain my position fully....
Only reason I ask is because you sound so much like Kirck Cameron!

R

roaringkitten

I really dont know who Kirck Cameron is(other than he works with Ray Comfort) but I do know that preaching the gospel without preaching WHY they need to believe it makes for MANY false converts.....

R

Rosinsky

I really dont know who Kirck Cameron is(other than he works with Ray Comfort) but I do know that preaching the gospel without preaching WHY they need to believe it makes for MANY false converts.....
Both Kirck Cameron and Ray Comfort emphasizes on the need to tell unbelievers why they need to be saved. It's because on your emphasis that I thought you had read some of their work .

Anyway, carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.