"The Hunger Games" Poll - will you see? read? or care?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Your status regarding The Hunger Games

• Movie - I can't wait to see it!

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Movie - I will probably see it - but not crazy about it

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Movie - I won't be seeing it at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Books - I've read them

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Books - I'm reading them right now

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Books - I won't be reading them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Books - I plan on reading them

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I really don't care much about The Hunger Games

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am totally against The Hunger Games

• I'm just plain hungry

• Total voters
C

CC_Bride

I read the books a while back, they were so popular I had to get on a wait list for 6 months for each of the books!
And I saw the movie last week. And speaking as someone who is hugely critical of books turned into movies, I say they did a decent job material wise to squeeze it into two hours, so it got my thumbs up from a movie point of view.

I also think from a Christian point of view that the purposeful theme behind the serious are an interesting lesson in morality to think about. BUT if all your going to do is see the movie then criticize it because you didn't 'get it' then thats ignorance and presumption rolled into one. To give a fair judgement of it you HAVE to read the books, you won't understand the movie themes if you haven't read the books. That is because movies focus on suspense, dialogue and pretty scenery. The books have the external dialogue but they also have the internal dialogue (from the main character) that you don't see or hear in the movies, and its that internal dialogue that has all the important information that everyone so readily wants to debate and argue about.

Just like here in CC we don't really tolerate people who debate and criticise Jesus when all theyve seen is the 'Passion of the Christ' or worse one of those weird Jesus movies from the 70s where he speaks in King James and looks radioactive, but they haven't even bothered to read the bible.

SO, in the rules of honest God discerning debate, you can't give your opinion let alone criticism of it til you've read the books! Otherwise we'll know its skewed and useless.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
really want to see the film, if i like it i will read the books and i am hungry!

J

jimmydiggs

The basic plot is; "murder or be murdered".

I think it's quite a statement, when we Christians are entertained by the things God hates.

If the basic plot was; "violently rape women, or be raped"; it would never make it to the theater.

Oh foolish Christians! How you are being conformed to the world through the media you consume.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUhIIAbjtyI[/video]

Guard your heart! For it is the wellspring of life!

EDIT:
I know my post will be hated and contested. I don't care.

Last edited:
J

Jullianna

Surely nobody will hate you for simply not liking a book or movie, jimmy. :) That would be silly.

--------------------------------------------

I've read a lot of stuff flying around the Internet from christians who haven't read the books or seen the movie. Kill or be killed is terribly misleading and would pretty much apply to any war movie, wouldn't it?

The truth is that the movies are about young people who are drafted to serve as gladiators who battle one another in order to protect their families and to keep a powerful nation from wiping out their respective nations, just as they do in other war movies. There was also talk of suicide in the propaganda; however, no suicides occur in the movie.

What I did read about in the books and see in the movie were people who made the best out of terrible circumstances with very little, who protected those they loved at great self-sacrifice; those who honor truth; those who recognize the dangers of slothfulness, materialism and gluttony; and so many other honorable traits.

There are no sex scenes. There is no foul language. Even the violence in the movie is handled in an extremely discrete way. The Narnia series (which had a very similar theme), Act of Valor, Romeo and Juliet, The Book of Eli, and even the news are/were FAR more violent than this one.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Surely nobody will hate you for simply not liking a book or movie, jimmy. :) That would be silly.

--------------------------------------------

I've read a lot of stuff flying around the Internet from christians who haven't read the books or seen the movie. Kill or be killed is terribly misleading and would pretty much apply to any war movie, wouldn't it?

The truth is that the movies are about young people who are drafted to serve as gladiators who battle one another in order to protect their families and to keep a powerful nation from wiping out their respective nations, just as they do in other war movies. There was also talk of suicide in the propaganda; however, no suicides occur in the movie.

What I did read about in the books and see in the movie were people who made the best out of terrible circumstances with very little, who protected those they loved at great self-sacrifice; those who honor truth; those who recognize the dangers of slothfulness, materialism and gluttony; and so many other honorable traits.

There are no sex scenes. There is no foul language. Even the violence in the movie is handled in an extremely discrete way. The Narnia series (which had a very similar theme), Act of Valor, Romeo and Juliet, The Book of Eli, and even the news are/were FAR more violent than this one.
+1

I haven't read the books, but the movie was not about the blood and gore - it was as Jullianna said about the people making the best out of a horrible situation. I believe that it was also set up as a warning as to what humanity can become - not everyone in the movie is portrayed as horribly evil and twisted, particularly the dominating region is.

To give you some idea - the main character in the story doesn't actually kill anyone not in self defence, or even go 'hunting' for them.

G

GreenNnice

Read the book and go see Act of Valor. Plenty of violence in that one :)
----
Sounds like The Running Man. but with teams. Probably worth a look , especially, as I've seen and people told me it was Hunger Games related but I would have good reason to go around life in green hair for a bit :D

JK, I being serious now, be careful in how you carry yourself, from head to toe, YOU are an example of Christ and don't let your appearance alter others' thoughts of you, worze yet, don't let a change of radical dress alter your state of being. And, we all KNOW that 'being' is with your Saviour , from now 'til you depart :)

Feb 10, 2008
The basic plot is; "murder or be murdered".

I think it's quite a statement, when we Christians are entertained by the things God hates.

If the basic plot was; "violently rape women, or be raped"; it would never make it to the theater.

Oh foolish Christians! How you are being conformed to the world through the media you consume.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUhIIAbjtyI[/video]

Guard your heart! For it is the wellspring of life!

EDIT:
I know my post will be hated and contested. I don't care.
You have misunderstood the plot greatly. No hate here.

For those who have seen it(hopefully no spoilers for the rest)...

Honestly it kind of reminded me of The Giver. Not that it was intended to do so, but the President's mindset, the strict caste system, the "tradition/ceremony" involving children and the of a dystopian society (seemingly utopian to those in the highest caste) seemed to follow the same basic themes of The Giver, though it certainly is a drastically different story.

Feb 10, 2008
You have misunderstood the plot greatly. No hate here.

For those who have seen it(hopefully no spoilers for the rest)...

Honestly it kind of reminded me of The Giver. Not that it was intended to do so, but the President's mindset, the strict caste system, the "tradition/ceremony" involving children and the of a dystopian society (seemingly utopian to those in the highest caste) seemed to follow the same basic themes of The Giver, though it certainly is a drastically different story.
EDIT: The complete lack of sex in the movie at least is in stark contrast to other Dystopian novels I've read. Another positive aspect of this I'd say. (was this already mentioned? :O)