The importance of sharing your faith(evangelism)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roaringkitten

In my previous threads I have spoken out against us Christians conforming to the world, using the world's ways of teaching Christianity, etc.....This thread is meant to stir some real action on YOUR part to win souls for Christ! I will give you some ideas, and Scripture to show the importance of evangelism. I have another thread labeled "Biblical Repentance" which is an outline on how a sinner comes to Christ which you may find interesting to refer to.

"Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel." 1 Corinthians 9:14

"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ." 1 Peter 3:15-16

The most powerful testimony you can give to the lost is two-fold: Lifestyle and sharing your faith. Living a life that reflects your faith in Christ helps the lost see Christ within you(James 2:18). Sharing your faith is something we are ALL called to do! I am against the idea of "lifestyle evangelism" within itself to reach the lost. We must speak the gospel and emphasize it! If lifestyle was enough, then we would not need to preach the gospel! Lifestyle follows as evidence of genuine faith!(Romans 12:1, Ephesians 2:10). Romans 10:14-15 stresses the importance of sharing your faith!:

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" Romans 10:14-15

Notice below in Matthew 9:35-38 Jesus didn't reach sinners because he was merely obligated, He was FULL of compassion, because they were lost, without a shepherd(The Lord IS the shepherd-Psalm 23:1). There are those that preach the gospel without compassion or love and there are those who do it because they love the Lord and love to reach lost sinners! What does it sound like when you do ANYTHING(ie:share the gospel) if you have not love/charity?(read 1 Corinthians 13:1-5).

"But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest. " Matthew 9:35-38

The Great Commission is so powerful, it does not only encompass preaching the gospel, but teaching "all things whatsoever I have commanded you" says the Lord. As new converts, we teach them discipleship, and how to grow in the Word(1 Peter 2:2 speaks of asking new converts to desire growth). The point is, we are not to just "dump" the newly converts, but to make disciples of them. In doing so, we equip them for evangelism too, and this adds a MULTIPLYING factor to the gospel.

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matthew 28:18-20

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise." Proverbs 11:30

Asking for wisdom lately? The most wonderful fruit that can happen is for a Christian to reach a soul for Christ("tree of life"). That is WISE! What does wisdom from above look like?(James 3:17). Understand when you witness to someone you will either plant a seed or water a previous seed. God gives the increase.

"Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour."
1 Corinthians 3:5-8

No Christian can claim "I won a person to Christ" because it is God that gives the increase. You were a tool used by God to reach the lost. In humbleness you placed your faith in God(see an example of a humble man before God vs the proud-Luke 18:9-14), in humbleness you give all the glory to God and thank Him for using you to reach someone! The Holy Spirit is what convicts them of their sins, righteousness, and judgment(John 16:8-9).

Paul testifies about the gospel in the verse below:

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

A common reason people don't share their faith is because of FEAR. The fear of rejection, the fear of not having the right words to say, the fear that their reputation will get destroyed. If you have enough love for the lost, there will be no room for fear!

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it." Mark 8:35

Persecution is a real possibility when sharing your faith. Many have been martyred for it! You will be hated, laughed at, mocked, etc for standing up for Christ!(John 15:18-20, 2 Timothy 3:12).

Do not sloppily handle the gospel(In fact, rightly divide the Word-2 Timothy 2:15). Be careful about how you present it. The lost must not even think for a second that they must do ANYTHING other than run to the Savior in faith to be saved from their sins! Explain it to them! Make absolutely sure they are relying 100% on the Savior for salvation, because salvation is of our God, NOT man!(Isaiah 43:11, Jonah 2:9). It is a good idea to go out in pairs(Mark 6:7) when witnessing, which is what the twelve did when they were sent off.

"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." 2 Peter 3:3-10

Every SECOND He does not return, is MORE TIME that people have to trust in Jesus! This world is so desperately wicked in the eyes of God, all deserve hell-fire every second because of our sinful state before Him! But thank the Lord, every moment that passes which He does not return, is MERCY towards the world, that more will be saved! God desires ALL to come to repentance(1st Timothy 2:4).

It is terrible for those who end up in the lake of fire. Jesus warned about hell many times in his ministry!!! Read Luke 16:22-24, Matthew 25:41, Matthew 8:12, Mark 9:43-44,Jude 1:7, etc...

"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;" 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15

Christians have the message of salvation. We can either do two things with it. Keep it inside, or share it. What would you think if I had the cure to a terminal illness and I willingly hid it from the patient, knowing the patient would die? Lord help us to reach those for Christ, and remind us, that at one time in our lives past, we were of the world dead in our sins(Ephesians 2:2) . Help us to knock down the barriers of selfishness and ignorance in our lives, that our eyes would be opened to the great need for soul-winning. In Jesus name, amen.

"For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!" 1 Corinthians 9:16

Status
Not open for further replies.