The integrity of Job

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PepperJack

Nov 19, 2011

In the book of Job,we read the story about a man whose Godly character is mentioned in the first chapter and first verse. He was a man that was perfect and upright, and one who feared God, and shunned evil.
We read not only about his character but his biography as well. He had a wife, seven sons and three daughters. He was a very wealthy man that had 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, 500 female donkeys, and many servants working for him. He was considered to be the wealthiest man around.He was a man of prayer. He was constantly offering burnt offerings for his children "in case they may have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.
As the years went by, both God and Satan were watching Job. One day, Satan came before the LORD, and the LORD said, "Where did you come from"? He said, "From going back and forth in the earth, and from walking up and down in it".1st Peter 5:8 tells us to be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.And the LORD said unto Satan,"Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man one that feareth God and shunneth evil"?
What God was doing here was simply bragging on Job because he knew Satan was watching him.Satan said, "Does Job fear you for nothing? Haven't you put a hedge about him, his household,and everything he owns? You have blessed the work of his hands. Everything he owns has multiplied, however put forth your hand now and touch all that he has, and he will curse thee to your face".And the LORD said unto Satan, Ok, I give you permission to do what you want, but you cannot touch him personally. So Satan went on his way. Then he began to attack everything that Job had! The donkeys, camels and oxen were stolen. His sheep were killed by lightning, and all of the servants were killed, except the ones that escaped to tell him the bad news. On top of all this, there came a tornado which destroyed his oldest son's house and killed all of his children!And Job's response to all of this was that he arose, shaved his head, tore his clothes, and fell down on the ground and worshipped. Job said, "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return, the LORD has given, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD". In all of this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
In the second book of Job,Satan approaches God again. God asked him, "Where did you come from"? Satan replies, "From going back and forth in the earth, and walking up and down in it." One more time God asked him, "Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God,
and shuns evil?
Now this is the same question that God asked in chapter 1, but this time he put a little different twist to it. He said to Satan, "Job still holds fast his integrity, although you are moveing me against him, to destroy him without cause".
Now, notice that God was the one who pointed out Job's integrity. I believe that God was smiling and Satan was steaming.
So he said to God, "Skin for skin yea, all that he has will he give for his life. But put forth your hand right now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse you to thy face".So now God is getting really scared - right? WRONG !!! God knew what Job would do, but in order to prove to Satan once and for all, that Job was a man of integrity, He gave him permission to touch his body. Do whatever you want to him, except kill him.So Satan went away from the presence of the LORD, and began attaching Job's body. He began to be covered with boils from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet.And it was so bad that he took a piece of broken pottery and began scratching himself to relieve the terrible itching he felt, and sat down in ashes.
Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die.? Nowhere in the two meetings does it say that Mrs. Job was present. Matter of fact she didn't even know anything about the meetings. But yet she utters the same words that were spoken between God and Satan. Was this a coincidence, or was Mrs. Job influenced by Satan? I believe that the latter took place.Satan tried, oh how he tried to get Job to curse God and lose his integrity. He attacked all of Job's wealth; he attacked and killed all of his sons and daughters, and he was allowed by God to bring painful boils all over his body.
And what did Job do? He said unto Mrs. Job, "Shut your mouth, you speak as a foolish woman"! What? shall we recieve good at the hand of God, and not evil also? In all of this Job sinned not with his lips.
Our integrity is what Satan wants to steal! And just exactly what is integrity? Websters dictionary describes integrity as the state of being entire or complete; entireness; a genuine or unimpaired state; honesty; uprightness; in mutual dealings; high principles.
Have you, as a christian ever told a dirty joke? I admit I have. One day somebody told one, and everyone started laughing and hee-hawing around, but as soon as I told mine, they all stopped laughing, and in bewilderment one of them said, I thought you was a church going christian! You are just the same as we are. We don't want to hear about your so called christianity!
Ouch!!! As soon as I told that joke, I lost the strenght of being an effective witness, that God wanted me to be.
So the next time your friends are doing something that you know is offensive to christianity, ask yourself, do I really want to participate in this, because once you lose your integrity, it's very, very hard to get it back!