The Key to answered prayer: Walking in the Holy Spirit (abiding in Christ)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Crossfire

In 1st John 3: 18-24 we find the key to answered prayer: 'My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.'

Please don't misunderstand, you can not earn answered prayer. However, obedience to the word of God - inspired not by selfishness and personal gain but rather selflessness and love for both God and others - this is the evidence of authentic saving faith. Walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) - also referred to in the scriptures as abiding in vine the which is Christ- this is the key to answered prayer. However, sin (disobedience) grieves the Holy Spirit and destroys any chance of answered prayer because that which you now praying for is motivated out selfishness and the lusts of the flesh (the selfish nature) rather than selflessness and the desires of God's heart (the divine nature).

Ephesians 4: 25-32 'Therefore, putting away lying, “ Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.'

‎1 Peter 3:10-12 'For the one who wants to love life and to see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit, and he must turn away from evil and do what is good. He must speak peace and pursue it, because the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous and His ears are open to their request. But the face of the Lord is against those who do what is evil.'

Galatians 6:6-10 'Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked;for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.'

It is my hope and prayer that scriptures provided gives you, the reader, some insight as to how this spiritual dynamic works. How walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) assures us that our prayers will be answered and how walking after the flesh (the selfish nature which is sin) destroys our chances of answered prayer.

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

After reading my original post, I find that all the bold italics and underlining make it kind of hard to read so I put together this version which I hope looks and reads a lot easier.

Spiritual Dynamics: The Key To Answered Prayer

In 1st John 3: 18-24 we find the key to answered prayer: 'My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.'

Please don't misunderstand, you can not earn answered prayer. However, obedience to the word of God - inspired not by selfishness and personal gain but rather selflessness and love for both God and others - this is the evidence of authentic saving faith. Walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) - also referred to in the scriptures as abiding in vine the which is Christ- this is the key to answered prayer. However, sin (disobedience) grieves the Holy Spirit and destroys any chance of answered prayer because that which you now praying for is motivated out selfishness and the lusts of the flesh (the selfish nature) rather than selflessness and the desires of God's heart (the divine nature).

Ephesians 4: 25-32 'Therefore, putting away lying, “ Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.'

‎1 Peter 3:10-12 'For the one who wants to love life and to see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit, and he must turn away from evil and do what is good. He must speak peace and pursue it, because the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous and His ears are open to their request. But the face of the Lord is against those who do what is evil.'

Galatians 6:6-10 'Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.'

It is my hope and prayer that scriptures provided gives you, the reader, some insight as to how this spiritual dynamic works. How walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) assures us that our prayers will be answered and how walking after the flesh (the selfish nature which is sin) ruins our chances of answered prayer.

*Scripture quoted from the New King James Version.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2011
1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. Believing on the Name.....(nature, character, authority)

1Jn 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

1Jn 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Along with what you have quoted, it's all about believing in "The Name" (His divine Nature) that is within us. Knowing that our old man has been crucified with Him.
That means not having a sin conscienceness anymore, This is what gives us the confidence in Him, that it is not of our selves, but of Him.

Having a sin conscience before Him is like saying we don't believe in what He has acomplished. And in this, how can we have Confidence before Him?

C

Crossfire

1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. Believing on the Name.....(nature, character, authority)

1Jn 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

1Jn 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Along with what you have quoted, it's all about believing in "The Name" (His divine Nature) that is within us. Knowing that our old man has been crucified with Him.
That means not having a sin conscienceness anymore, This is what gives us the confidence in Him, that it is not of our selves, but of Him.

Having a sin conscience before Him is like saying we don't believe in what He has acomplished. And in this, how can we have Confidence before Him?
Absolutely & Amen. Thank you for your input seeing as it is the point I am trying to make. If the Holy Spirit truly resides in us then anything we ask for in prayer we shall receive because we asking out of His Divine nature (which is the Holy Spirit) and not our own flesh (which is the selfish nature) thus we can be assured that what we ask for is indeed within the the will of God and not a manifestation of our own selfish desires.

C

Crossfire

1 John 5: 13-15 'These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.'

C

Crossfire

*John 15: 4-7 'Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

*Galatians 5:24-25 'And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

* Ephesians 2: 8-10 'For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.'

C

Crossfire

Here is a revised, extended version of the original post:

Please don't misunderstand, you can not earn answered prayer. However, obedience to the word of God - motivated not by selfishness or personal gain but rather obedience inspired by selflessness and love for both God and others - this is the evidence of authentic saving faith (see *Matthew 7: 15-20, *Ephesians 5:1-18, *Galatians 5:13-23) . Walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) - also referred to in the scriptures as abiding in vine the which is Christ - this is the key to answered prayer.

John 15: 4-7 'Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

However, sin (disobedience) grieves the Holy Spirit and destroys any chance of answered prayer because that which you now praying for is motivated out selfishness and the lusts of the flesh (the selfish nature) rather than selflessness and the desires of God's heart (the divine nature).

Galatians 6:6-10 'Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.'

It is my hope and prayer that scriptures provided gives you, the reader, some insight as to how this spiritual dynamic works. How walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) assures us that our prayers will be answered and how walking after the flesh (the selfish nature which is sin) ruins our chances of answered prayer. If the Holy Spirit truly resides in us then anything we ask for in prayer we shall receive because we asking out of Christ's Divine nature (which is the Holy Spirit) and not our own flesh (which is the selfish nature) thus we can be assured that what we ask for is indeed within the will of God the Father and not a manifestation of our own selfish desires.

1 John 5: 13-15 'These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.'

This is how we can be rest assured that our confidence is in Christ and His Divine nature that resides in us, which is the Holy Spirit, and not in and of our own selves. We may now have confidence that our prayers will be answered because our old nature, which is the flesh, has been crucified with Christ (Galatians 5:24-25) thus our resides in Him and in Christ alone (Ephesians 2:8-10).

Galatians 5:24-25 'And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Ephesians 2: 8-10 'For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Additional Scriptures as noted by (*):

*Matthew 7: 15-20 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

*Ephesians 5:1-18 'Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.[/b' But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. Therefore He says: “ Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light.”

'See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,
'

*Galatians 5:13-23 'For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!'

'I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.'

'Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.' But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering (which is patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
'

Scripture quoted from the New King James Version, emphasis added by the author.

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

*Romans 8:1-11 'There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.'

C

Crossfire

A revised, extended and proof read edition of the original post.

Please don't misunderstand, you can not earn answered prayer through works. However, obedience to the word of God - motivated not by selfishness or personal gain but rather obedience inspired by selflessness and love for both God and others - this is the evidence of authentic saving faith (see *Matthew 7: 15-20, *Ephesians 5:1-18, *Galatians 5:13-23, *Romans 8:1-11) . Walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) - also referred to in the scriptures as abiding in vine the which is Christ - this is the key to answered prayer.

John 15: 4-7 'Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

However, our sin (disobedience) grieves the Holy Spirit and destroys any chance of answered prayer because that which you now praying for is motivated out selfishness and the lusts of the flesh (our own selfish nature, which is the root of all sin in our lives) rather than inspired through selflessness according to the desires of God's will (the divine nature).

It is my hope and prayer that the scriptures provided gives you, the reader, some insight as to how this spiritual dynamic works. How walking after the Holy Spirit (the divine nature) assures us that our prayers will be answered and how walking after the flesh (our selfish nature, which is sin) ruins our chances of answered prayer. If the Holy Spirit truly resides in us then anything we ask for in prayer we shall receive because we are asking out of Christ's Divine nature (which is the Holy Spirit) and not our own selfish nature (the flesh) thus we can be assured that what we ask for is indeed within the will of God the Father and not a manifestation of our own selfish desires.

This is how we can know for certain that our confidence is in Christ and His Divine nature that resides in us, which is the Holy Spirit, and not in and of our own selves. We may now have confidence that our prayers will be answered because our old nature, which is the flesh, has been crucified with Christ (Galatians 5:24-25) thus our resides in Him and in Christ alone (Ephesians 2:8-10).

Galatians 5:24-25 'And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Ephesians 2: 8-10 'For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Additional Scriptures as noted by (*):

*Matthew 7: 15-20 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

*Ephesians 5:1-18 'Therefore be imitators of Gos as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. Therefore He says: “ Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light.”

'See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,'

*Galatians 5:13-23 'For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!'

'I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.'

'Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.' But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering (which is patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.'

*Romans 8:1-11 'There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.'

Scripture quoted from the New King James Version, emphasis added by the author.

Last edited: