The Lord Upholds The Rigtheous

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynnnnn

Aug 13, 2018

A little that a righteous man has
Is better than the riches of many wicked.
For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
But the LORD upholds the righteous.
Psalm 37 compares and contrasts the righteous and the wicked. In general, the Psalm teaches that it goes well for the righteous and not well for the wicked. The verse for today compares and contrasts the righteous and the wicked when it comes to finances. In this area of life, just like all the others, it is better to be righteous than wicked.

This is true even if the righteous are not wealthy. The Psalm is not saying, however, that one can only be righteous if one is poor. The Bible is full of passages that contradict that idea. Here's just one example: "A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children" (Proverbs 13:22). It would be impossible to leave an inheritance without storing up some wealth. Rather, then, the Psalm is saying that it is better to be righteous even if it means having only a little.

Further, it is better to be righteous than wicked even if the wicked are wealthy. The Psalm is not saying, however, that the wicked are always wealthy. The Bible is full of passages that contradict that idea. Here's just one example: "the stomach of the wicked shall be in want" (Proverbs 13:25). You can't be wealthy if you can't feed yourself. Rather, then, the Psalm is saying that it is worse to be wicked even if it means having great wealth.

The reason why it is worse to be wicked even if it means having great wealth is that "the arms of the wicked shall be broken." That is, the personal attributes and abilities the wealthy rely upon to gain them their wealth shall be broken. God resists the proud (James 4:6). He resists those who rely on themselves and the wealth they have stored up instead of relying on Him.

The reason why it is better to be righteous even if it means having little, on the other hand, is that "the LORD upholds the righteous." That is, the LORD helps those who have little to make it in life despite their lack. God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6). He upholds those who rely on Him instead of relying on themselves.

Although you may have little, you have something more valuable than anything the wicked have. You have the LORD on your side.​

Aug 8, 2018
Lynnnnn, Thank you for your valid and considered insights. I utterly agree. It brought to mind Jesus saying, 'My food is to do the will of Him who sent me'. The Father nourishes and provides for, in every sense, His children.

Lynnnnn

Aug 13, 2018
Lynnnnn, Thank you for your valid and considered insights. I utterly agree. It brought to mind Jesus saying, 'My food is to do the will of Him who sent me'. The Father nourishes and provides for, in every sense, His children.
Your Welcome Sis..:)

Aug 8, 2018
Your Welcome Sis..:)
I am male, but gender means nothing in the spirit. Your intelligence is a great gift, evident in your post. Stay strong in your bond to His Truth. Mark