The Lord's Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nancyer

My church is starting a Lenten study tomorrow morning (And on Thursday evenings) on the Lord's Prayer. It will cover the Tuesdays and Thursdays until Easter. I will attempt to post the highlights each week and will relay comments posted here.

FYI, I attend a Methodist Church in S. California.

We are starting with the words Our Father and in heaven, and Jesus' telling the disciples this is how they ought to pray.

O

onehighvoice

Thanks for sharing the scoop on this very important text.

N

Nancyer

This morning was our first study. Very interesting, though not a lot of people came. We discussed Our: meaning when we say the Lord's Prayer we are praying with all God's children. Do you remember when you learned it? As a child probably, right? OR was it just always there, you never really had to memorize it, you just seem to know it one day. I can recall my grandmother's porcelain figure of an open book with the Lord's Prayer written in gold, that always sat on her dresser.

We discussed the word Father, and the other words that come to mind as names for God. What names do you use when you pray on your own? Also, for some the word Father does not conjure up touchy, feely, warm and fuzzy images. So does that change the prayer for them? We read the prayer from the KJV, the NSV, the NIV and The Message, in Matthew and Luke. Some translations leave out "For thyne is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever". Luke's leaves out " thy kingdom come thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

I'll be attending the Thursday evening study as well, or at least I hope to. I will post anything new from that discussion. A different group comes at night.

God bless,

nancyer

Oct 31, 2011
Nancyer;[COLOR=#006699 said:

We are starting with the words Our Father and in heaven, and Jesus' telling the disciples this is how they ought to pray.
[/COLOR]
I am impressed that we are instructed to address our prays to "Our Father", rather than to Jesus. We always tell new Christians to first learn of Jesus, for It is through salvation in Christ we are saved. I spent many years as a Christian with little understanding of the Father, except through understanding of the Son in the New Testament. It never crossed my mind that my knowledge of God and His attributes was incomplete, or that I was addressing what I didn't really know.

john832

May 31, 2013
I am impressed that we are instructed to address our prays to "Our Father", rather than to Jesus. We always tell new Christians to first learn of Jesus, for It is through salvation in Christ we are saved. I spent many years as a Christian with little understanding of the Father, except through understanding of the Son in the New Testament. It never crossed my mind that my knowledge of God and His attributes was incomplete, or that I was addressing what I didn't really know.
I am not impressed with such. Jesus Christ said and did everything the Father told Him to do. He pointed everyone of His day to the Father. Christ didn't make it "all about Jeezus", He made it all about the Father. For an interesting study, look up every passage in the Gospels with the word Father in it. It will be an eye-opener.

S

Saint_Cecilia

"Lord, teach us to pray."

- Luke 11:1

N

Nancyer

I am not impressed with such. Jesus Christ said and did everything the Father told Him to do. He pointed everyone of His day to the Father. Christ didn't make it "all about Jeezus", He made it all about the Father. For an interesting study, look up every passage in the Gospels with the word Father in it. It will be an eye-opener.
I may just do that, good idea. It's interesting what we learn when we look up scriptures of a single word and compare them. Thanks

S

Saint_Cecilia

[SUP]
9 [/SUP]After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. [SUP]10 [/SUP]Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. [SUP]11 [/SUP]Give us this day our daily bread. [SUP]12 [/SUP]And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

- Matthew 6:9-12

[SUP]14 [/SUP]For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: [SUP]15 [/SUP]But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

- Matthew 6:14-15

Oct 31, 2011
This is the very heart of all the entire scripture. We are to address everything to our Creator God, who is completely Holy. He created the world for His Kingdom, all is to fit into this Kingdom both on earth and in heaven. Everything comes from Him that is within this Kingdom, everything we ask for and do should be within the Kingdom.

God is the source of all, both materially and spiritually. He will give us food for our entire being. It is only sin that stands between us and God, and Christ stands ready to forgive all our sins, we are only asked to make our lives express love for God and others, and let God do all the judging of others.

It ends with telling God how much we worship Him, and what God is to us in our lives.

This outline of prayer instructions for us is a condensation of the Amidah. When the Jews returned from Babylon to Jerusalem they had a huge meeting of Torah scholars. They trained the people in the ways of the Lord, and composing this prayer for the people was one of their acts. Ezra and Nehemiah were two of the scholars who worked at this.

The Amidah is not included in any of our scriptures, perhaps because every meeting in the synagogue used this prayer and everyone knew it. It is still recited by Jews today. Certainly Christ knew it, for the Lord's Prayer repeats it in condensed form. It is another tie between the OT and the NT.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
My church is starting a Lenten study tomorrow morning (And on Thursday evenings) on the Lord's Prayer. It will cover the Tuesdays and Thursdays until Easter. I will attempt to post the highlights each week and will relay comments posted here.

FYI, I attend a Methodist Church in S. California.

Here is a study on the Lord's Prayer.........you are welcome to copy/paste it to your desktop and print it off for use in your study........God bless

http://christianchat.com/blogs/p_rehbein/2751-our-father.html

Feb 21, 2014
I may just do that, good idea. It's interesting what we learn when we look up scriptures of a single word and compare them. Thanks
Ms. Nancyer:

Yes, Scripture word studies can be very valuable and instructive, right?

Blessings.