The Mormon Church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Oh.

Well at least it preserves internal logic. I've played video games that made less sense, directly contradicting their own storyline all over the place. =^.^=
The problem being that they also claim to believe the bible, which is not (being) internally consistent with such blasphemies.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The problem being that they also claim to believe the bible, which is not (being) internally consistent with such blasphemies.
Well even Squaresoft didn't catch ALL the plot holes. :p

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The " holy underwear" is something that should be a red flag.

Last time I had 2 here I shared, Holy Spirit manifested, and I was able to explain about the indwelling Christ and Holy Spirit ,manifestation. One old time morman explained they don't believe that is how you receive Holy Spirit anointing, that Holy Spirit is received at the temple from the elders, or some such. I don't know what manner of spirit they receive but it doesn't seem like it is the third part of the Trinity.
I also shared how the "church" is the "ecclesia" or body of believers, not a man created organization and how no ones "church" died for their sin.
They haven't been back since.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I'm seeing this series called "Under the banner of heaven." It's based on true events. It goes on to show how religious fundamentalism can ruin lives. In this case, Mormon fundamentalism from the looks of the series looks cult like. IDK, it's just a series. But supposedly based on true events. And it's not the first time that I heard about Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism advocating polygamy and practicing it, although later on, that was changed in the Mormon Church back to Monogamy.

Regardless, Mormon values from their founding fathers to some of their other members over the years do not resonate with core Christian values and beliefs and Christian living. It's just my observation.
Yes, I agree.
I'd like to add one thing that distinguishes the term fundamentalist Mormons from Christians.
We just need to point out also that liberal christianity has demonized Biblical Christianity with this term, fundamentalists, just as they did by tacking that onto extremist violent Muslims.
By using that term, I've noticed people without a knowledge of true Christianity, put Mormons, Muslims that the US pentagram declared war on 2001 and Christians who believe the Bible, with the same disdain.

The term fundamentals of the faith, by J. Frank Norris was a list of what he considered basics that all Bible believers should agree on. This became a popular standard for many during much of the twentieth century.
You already defined who consider themselves fundamentalist Mormons. The 2000s were marked by the wars against those the DOD allied with fifteen years earlier and provided military aid. They also replaced a westernized Iran with Fundamentalist Muslim leaders.
I realized that at some point, they would look at Bible believers the same way and eventually may treat them likewise.

I went on a bit of a rabbit trail to help us all to consider that the left thinks of us as a cult and as a violent religion by the use of language and propaganda. The gt has expanded that to include all Republicans as of this year.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I'm seeing this series called "Under the banner of heaven." It's based on true events. It goes on to show how religious fundamentalism can ruin lives. In this case, Mormon fundamentalism from the looks of the series looks cult like. IDK, it's just a series. But supposedly based on true events. And it's not the first time that I heard about Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism advocating polygamy and practicing it, although later on, that was changed in the Mormon Church back to Monogamy.

Regardless, Mormon values from their founding fathers to some of their other members over the years do not resonate with core Christian values and beliefs and Christian living. It's just my observation.
That's why I limit my involvement with them. For the casual attender it all seems covered up, but if you go for membership and Baptism and take their classes, it gets bizarre. There were some Polygamous (Fundamentalist) groups in Hildale, Colorado City, and a large one North of Salt Lake City. There was also a group somewhere in Texas, but I don't know much about them. It gets worse.

Mainstream Christian churches are pretty fallen. These days I worship at home.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Typical. You don't know what they believe yet attack them. Have you seen record of their thought?
That's why I limit my involvement with them. For the casual attender it all seems covered up, but if you go for membership and Baptism and take their classes, it gets bizarre. There were some Polygamous (Fundamentalist) groups in Hildale, Colorado City, and a large one North of Salt Lake City. There was also a group somewhere in Texas, but I don't know much about them. It gets worse.

Wait, what? o_Oo_Oo_O

When you dug up this thread from last year, I thought you were taking Moses to task for disparaging the Mormons. Like... I thought you were defending them.

Oh well. I've been confused most of my life, and survived. I can be confused about this too. I'll live.

Mar 25, 2020
Yes, I agree.
I'd like to add one thing that distinguishes the term fundamentalist Mormons from Christians.
We just need to point out also that liberal christianity has demonized Biblical Christianity with this term, fundamentalists, just as they did by tacking that onto extremist violent Muslims.
By using that term, I've noticed people without a knowledge of true Christianity, put Mormons, Muslims that the US pentagram declared war on 2001 and Christians who believe the Bible, with the same disdain.

The term fundamentals of the faith, by J. Frank Norris was a list of what he considered basics that all Bible believers should agree on. This became a popular standard for many during much of the twentieth century.
You already defined who consider themselves fundamentalist Mormons. The 2000s were marked by the wars against those the DOD allied with fifteen years earlier and provided military aid. They also replaced a westernized Iran with Fundamentalist Muslim leaders.
I realized that at some point, they would look at Bible believers the same way and eventually may treat them likewise.

I went on a bit of a rabbit trail to help us all to consider that the left thinks of us as a cult and as a violent religion by the use of language and propaganda. The gt has expanded that to include all Republicans as of this year.
I don't understand all of what you said. When I said fundamentalism, I meant believers who will go to the lengths of taking a life for the sake of religion. Historically, no religion has spread without bloodshed, including Christianity sadly. That's something which Jesus would condemn Himself. When religion makes or pushes you to that step and violating the moral rights of another in God's name, that's unacceptable even in God's eyes. Taking a life for God or in God's name? That's something all religions are guilty of. That happens because of fanaticism. Religious fanaticism. Especially if you're from India and you're a Christian, you will at some point of your life experienced hate from Hindu religious fanatics (Majority). Likewise, it could be the same in a Christian majority country where you can hate on other religious minorities. This is the fundamentalism I mean. The fundamentalism I understood from watching that series and learning about Mormon history is this. I think God would want His children to be better people for believing in Him. Jesus is explicitly against the sword in the four Gospels. Yet, for all this time, Christians and Christian dominant nations don't seem to understand this. We're not really obedient to Christ's teachings.

Mar 25, 2020

I have heard of Mormon history. Read a little about it here and there. Watched a few movies related to Mormonism. Even have knowledge of at least 1 or 2 Mormon celebrities. And it does not have a Christian feel to it. Even their scripture is so different. And that's where we have The Bible as is given to us with the four Gospels, The book of Revelation where it states that not 1 word should be added or taken away from the Word of God. And here, so much is not in alignment with The Bible in the Mormon book. I don't want to go near that with Jesus whom I believe in and worship either. I'm not condemning them. But, I know who I believe in. And that's not what is given in this Mormon religion. It's even clearly given about false prophets in The book of Revelation. So, we must be on our guard as Christian believers towards what someone says to us in Jesus' name.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I don't understand all of what you said. When I said fundamentalism, I meant believers who will go to the lengths of taking a life for the sake of religion. Historically, no religion has spread without bloodshed, including Christianity sadly. That's something which Jesus would condemn Himself. When religion makes or pushes you to that step and violating the moral rights of another in God's name, that's unacceptable even in God's eyes. Taking a life for God or in God's name? That's something all religions are guilty of. That happens because of fanaticism. Religious fanaticism. Especially if you're from India and you're a Christian, you will at some point of your life experienced hate from Hindu religious fanatics (Majority). Likewise, it could be the same in a Christian majority country where you can hate on other religious minorities. This is the fundamentalism I mean.
This video is Christian fundamentalism.
It is how Biblical Christianity has spread since the time Christ commanded His disciples to spread the good news. It never involved any bloodshed. Only apostate fake Christians have done that. That is not according to the fundamentals of the faith that fundamentalists believe. They have been the victims of unjust persecution/ slaughter from the time of Steven the Martyr until today where Biblical Christianity is not tolerated. Fundamentalists believe in peace and not bloodshed for converts. Salvation comes through faith in the Prince of Peace.
That's a fundamental.

Less than 5 minutes of true fundamentalist Christian preaching.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I have heard of Mormon history. Read a little about it here and there. Watched a few movies related to Mormonism. Even have knowledge of at least 1 or 2 Mormon celebrities. And it does not have a Christian feel to it. Even their scripture is so different. And that's where we have The Bible as is given to us with the four Gospels, The book of Revelation where it states that not 1 word should be added or taken away from the Word of God. And here, so much is not in alignment with The Bible in the Mormon book. I don't want to go near that with Jesus whom I believe in and worship either. I'm not condemning them. But, I know who I believe in. And that's not what is given in this Mormon religion. It's even clearly given about false prophets in The book of Revelation. So, we must be on our guard as Christian believers towards what someone says to us in Jesus' name.
It is angering for me that they say the Book of Mormon supplants the Bible. I might agree that it could be part of the Bible not not have authority over it. I'm pretty done with them. They say their prophet is equal to Abraham. They say their Temple (Ones who go to a Temple) saints will inherit a planet, but not women. Perhaps I have been kidding myself in thinking that I could take sacrament with them?

Mar 25, 2020
This video is Christian fundamentalism.
It is how Biblical Christianity has spread since the time Christ commanded His disciples to spread the good news. It never involved any bloodshed. Only apostate fake Christians have done that. That is not according to the fundamentals of the faith that fundamentalists believe. They have been the victims of unjust persecution/ slaughter from the time of Steven the Martyr until today where Biblical Christianity is not tolerated. Fundamentalists believe in peace and not bloodshed for converts. Salvation comes through faith in the Prince of Peace.
That's a fundamental.

Less than 5 minutes of true fundamentalist Christian preaching.

Here in this video, the Preacher suggests and invites others to believe in Jesus. This is different from what I am talking about. In a Secular society, you can appeal to others to follow your religion. But it cannot be forced on someone. Religious fundamentalism means that it's the religion of someone that is considered right at all times and it is forced on someone else. I understand what you're trying to convey. A peaceful message of Our Lord Jesus to those who don't believe. But that isn't usually the case when you're talking Religious fundamentalism.

Mar 25, 2020
It is angering for me that they say the Book of Mormon supplants the Bible. I might agree that it could be part of the Bible not not have authority over it. I'm pretty done with them. They say their prophet is equal to Abraham. They say their Temple (Ones who go to a Temple) saints will inherit a planet, but not women. Perhaps I have been kidding myself in thinking that I could take sacrament with them?
Well. When you question the motives of their "Prophet" for polygamy, you get your answer. Abraham could not beget children, so with the consent of Sarah, he took a second wife, Hagar. For the reason of begetting offspring. Preaching polygamy and supplanting women with a cult like religion is different. And how can they say that it is,"the one true Church?"

Their teaching on Polygamy contradicts what Jesus says in the New Testament.

The Resurrection and Marriage
27 Some of the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Jesus with a question. 28 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 29 Now there were seven brothers. The first one married a woman and died childless. 30 The second 31 and then the third married her, and in the same way the seven died, leaving no children. 32 Finally, the woman died too. 33 Now then, at the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?”

34 Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the burning bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[b] 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!” 40 And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Luke Chapter 20 Verses 27 to 40

By this passage we can also understand that Jesus considers Men and women equal in the Kingdom of God. There is no distinction or special place because someone is a man or a woman in Heaven. All are God's children and salvation is for all regardless of what their gender is.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
Well. When you question the motives of their "Prophet" for polygamy, you get your answer. Abraham could not beget children, so with the consent of Sarah, he took a second wife, Hagar. For the reason of begetting offspring. Preaching polygamy and supplanting women with a cult like religion is different. And how can they say that it is,"the one true Church?"

Their teaching on Polygamy contradicts what Jesus says in the New Testament.

The Resurrection and Marriage
27 Some of the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Jesus with a question. 28 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 29 Now there were seven brothers. The first one married a woman and died childless. 30 The second 31 and then the third married her, and in the same way the seven died, leaving no children. 32 Finally, the woman died too. 33 Now then, at the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?”

34 Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the burning bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[b] 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!” 40 And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Luke Chapter 20 Verses 27 to 40

By this passage we can also understand that Jesus considers Men and women equal in the Kingdom of God. There is no distinction or special place because someone is a man or a woman in Heaven. All are God's children and salvation is for all regardless of what their gender is.
Sadly, so many denominations will not allow women to stand at the Pulpit. They seem to blame the woman for the "fall" but say they don't. Things seem so mixed up. Perhaps if Jesus was viewed in the proper light I might be Muslim? I agree with the covering and modesty part.

Mar 25, 2020
Sadly, so many denominations will not allow women to stand at the Pulpit. They seem to blame the woman for the "fall" but say they don't. Things seem so mixed up. Perhaps if Jesus was viewed in the proper light I might be Muslim? I agree with the covering and modesty part.
That's true. Historically if you look at it, contrary to what many Church leaders believe that it is men who lead and the women follow within the Church. There is the story of the Samaritan woman to whom Jesus spoke to at the well. He sent her and through her, her village got to hear the good news and be saved. It is not customary for Jews or even a Jewish Rabbi such as how Jesus was seen back then by the people to talk with Samaritan women. Jesus always broke such norms and always broke so many other taboos among the people at that time. Like when His apostles started plucking grains of corn and eating on the Sabbath. Healing on the Sabbath. There are also records of female leaders in the Letters of Paul. The Pulpit is considered holy. Only male priests were allowed at the Old Testament times to minister before God. Women were not allowed near the Holy of Holies. So, the same is followed today. Of course, some Churches are liberal to allow the women to give the Sunday teaching and I've seen this at a Church I went to for Sunday worship. Of course, the head pastor starts the teaching after praise and worship and then, a Church member gives the teaching.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
wasnt the Book of Mormon made into a musical?!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I've had my share of their Missionaries upset with me. :) As to Jesus and Satan being brothers, I'll have to dig that up. The idea is debatable and I choose not to spend time on it, it is a petty argument. Statements about that occur in Revelations and in John. I only have one computer and switching back and forth is tiresome.
Petty? Laughable. Saying Stan and Jesus are brothers denies the Deity
of Christ. Perhaps/unless Satan is your god. I wouldn't doubt that.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I'm upset that some of you feel entitled to say evil, vengeful things about them that are untrue. Often things that I know to be untrue. Perhaps even more slanderous than the things said about the Muslims. How can you say that you are in CHrist?
I don't think Mormons are bad people, but the church does have a history of racism and white supremacy. They didn't start letting black people in until like the '60s I think
My opinion of Muslims is the same.
It would be ridiculous to say all Muslims are bad people but it does take some really bad ideas