~ The Names Of God ~

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 1, 2011
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them. ( Exodus 6:3 )

Jehovah means "self-existent one." Jehovah comes from the four Hebrew letters YHVH. Every time YHVH is used in the original Old Testament writings, it is translated into either Jehovah or Lord in our Bibles. Sometimes a suffix was added to YHVH to describe a part of God's character.

here is some -

Jehovah-Tsidkenu "Jehovah our righteousness"
Jehovah-M'kaddesh "Jehovah who sanctifies"
Jehovah-Shalom "Jehovah is peace"
Jehovah-Shammah "Jehovah is there"
Jehovah-Rophe "Jehovah heals"
Jehovah-Jireh "Jehovah's provision shall be seen"
Jehovah-Nissi "Jehovah my banner"
Jehovah-Rohi "Jehovah my shepherd"

But eventually, the names of God will become one.

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
( Zechariah 14:9 )

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
( Matthew 1:20-21 )

Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. ( Matthew 1:22-23 )

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
( Matthew 1:24-25 )

Jesus is a Greek name. When translated to Hebrew, it is Joshua. Joshua means " The Lord is my salvation" ( Jehovah-Savior ).

Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
( Isaiah 43:10-12 )

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
( Philippians 2:9-11 )

can we be saved by any other name ?

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. ( Acts 4:12 )

is Jesus the name of the Father ?

I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. ( John 5:43 )

Is Jesus the name of the Holy Spirit ?

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. ( John 14:26 )

What is the name ( singular ) of all three manifestations of God ( Father, Son and Holy Spirit ) ?

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
( Matthew 28:18-20 )

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
( Acts 2:37-39 )