The new chat option is a great idea.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Quote about this new chat feature, from somebody who... wishes to remain anonymous:

It's kinda copycattish... except not nearly as good...
It's like skype is the older sister with the great metabolism and shiny hair with all the creative genes and then there is CC skype. The less talented, not quite pretty one.

7seasrekeyed

I think its really neat plus the chime sound is not annoying at all
haha I had my laptop speakers muted, turned them on for something else and the chime sound is simply lovely :eek:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yay, I'm not getting those popups any more! I hereby positively revise my opinion of the new chat option.

I never did notice the audio stuff... because all my laptops always have earbuds connected to them.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
It seems to work for personal chat.. We at lest i think it does.. But i am recieving no chimes.. Maybe thats a blessing?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
You'll know it if someone calls you. Happened to me yesterday, it's louder than anything. Scared the heck outta me.. lol

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Im just preparing myself for roasting spammers. I put in for people not to message me if they don't know me. Let them trespass he he

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
well, the only issue i'm seeing that i don't like is that the chat window pops up each time someone sends a message, which then blocks part of the web browser. and just now, instead of typing in this post, it started typing in the chat window because it popped up.

other than that, i'm good. i haven't had any weirdos message me lol.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
You can turn off the chime. Click on the three dots at the top and scroll down and unclick sound notifications.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
This forum chat could be a great thing. No more installing flash player, no more fiddling with Adobe Air, no more different chat programs for Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, no more messing with any of that because the chat is (finally) right here in the browser! The new chat system could be the best thing that has happened to this forum in six years...

...but some of the implementation is currently annoying. The user interface is intrusive and I just had to leave a group so I could type this post without the chat window bouncing up like a Jack Russell terrier every five seconds.

Yeah. I had to LEAVE THE GROUP to get the window to stop popping up, just so I could make a flipping post on the forum.

There is also no good way to scroll back in the forum window. All I got is the last two statements people made, no dependable way to go back and get context for the conversation or see if somebody said something I missed. Page up/down scrolls up and down in the forum window behind the chat box. Grabbing the scrollbar at the right is a dodgy prospect because you can't scroll up and down slow enough to read and sometimes the scrollbar just vanishes and refuses to return.

I can't even resize the window to see more of the conversation at once. >.>

Robo, I think this new chat has potential. Mostly because it is right here in the forum where people don't have to go install something else to use it, so I think it has potential to get used by a lot more people a lot more frequently. Right now it's not really very usable, but you just installed it and I'm assuming you're still tinkering. I'm trying to wait and see where it goes before I decide whether I ultimately like it or hate it. Here's hoping the bugs get worked out before too many people write it off and ignore it as a bad thing.