The Osteen Predicament - Mere Happiness Cannot Bear the Weight of the Gospel

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
A good blog on why the Osteens are wrong!

"America deserves the Osteens. The consumer culture, the cult of the therapeutic, the marketing impulse, and the sheer superficiality of American cultural Christianity probably made the Osteens inevitable. The Osteens are phenomenally successful because they are the exaggerated fulfillment of the self-help movement and the cult of celebrity rolled into one massive mega-church media empire. And, to cap it all off, they give Americans what Americans crave — reassurance delivered with a smile.Judged in theological terms, the Osteen message is the latest and slickest version of Prosperity Theology. That American heresy has now spread throughout much of the world, but it began in the context of American Pentecostalism in the early twentieth century. Prosperity theology, promising that God rewards faith with health and wealth, first appealed to those described as “the dispossessed” — the very poor. Now, its updated version appeals to the aspirational class of the suburbs. Whereas the early devotees of Prosperity Theology prayed for a roof over their heads that did not leak, the devotees of prosperity theology in the Age of Osteen pray for ever bigger houses. The story of how the Osteens exercised faith for a big house comes early in Joel Osteen’s best-seller, Your Best Life Now."

"But to talk of the promises of God to believers is actually to jump outside the Osteen audience. The Osteen message does not differentiate between believers and unbelievers — certainly not in terms of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In their sermons, writings, and media appearances, the Osteens insist that God is well-disposed to all people and wills that all flourish, but there is virtually no mention of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. No reference to sin as the fundamental issue. No explanation of atonement and resurrection as God’s saving acts; no clarity of any sort on the need for faith in Christ and repentance of sin.

Instead, they focus on happiness and God’s “immeasurable favor” to be poured out on all people, if they will only correct their thinking."
http://www.albertmohler.com/2014/09...ppiness-cannot-bear-the-weight-of-the-gospel/

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
Exactly. America embraces and wants it, so they have in a sense created them. I personally think they are robotic looking. That is why I am leaving the U.S. And, God says we should worship in Spirit in Truth. We are to be filled with the Spirit which will then allow the word to come forth because it will be written on our hearts! It's not a bunch of memorization of stories. One time I watched Joel speak and had his book in front of me (it was my friends) and he spoke the exact sentences that were in the book word by word. It was almost as though he has a photographic memory and is spitting out stories that he has memorized. WEIRD!!!

Aug 20, 2014
There's a book entitled, The Osteenification of American Christianity. It purports to describe the wrongness of the JO
doctrine.

I agree they look like dolls. As do their children in the opening credits to the ministry broadcast. Evidently she has a shopping issue, because he comments quite often about that during his sermons. The have more, think positive, mantra he fosters would of course be exampled by her as a work in progress.

It's magical thinking religion that they're promoting. The 21st century of the creative visualization phase that was very popular during the 80's and 90's, with authors like Shakti Gawain, and others who promoted the idea you could have anything you want in life if you saw it and imagined it as yours now.
Then there arrived the book 'The Secret'. Which doesn't contain any secret at all. It was all vomited as a self-help mantra in the 80's as creative visualization. The Secret was just the repackage. Just like Osteen's sermons. He's repackaged that old marketing theme too. Only he's waving a Bible as he does it.

I wonder what his father would think of his ministry, his preaching style, today?

R

RachelBibleStudent

i am not a fan of osteen...but to call his teaching 'heresy' is an unjustifiable exaggeration that cheapens the term...and with plenty of -actual- heresies out there today it is also mostly a waste of zeal...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
i am not a fan of osteen...but to call his teaching 'heresy' is an unjustifiable exaggeration that cheapens the term...and with plenty of -actual- heresies out there today it is also mostly a waste of zeal...
I read what Paul wrote and wonder. Gal 1:6-12, 3:1-9

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 1, 2012
Luke warm is Osteen's middle name.

Wonder if he has ever voted for a republican.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I would say without a doubt that the Health and Wealth Gospel is the biggest heresy of the 21st century. I have many friends on the mission field and they say these lies are being exported to other countries, making it difficult to preach the real gospel!

it is an "all about me" gospel, exemplified by the Osteens. Did you even bother to read the article, before posting your opinions, Rachel??

R

RachelBibleStudent

I would say without a doubt that the Health and Wealth Gospel is the biggest heresy of the 21st century. I have many friends on the mission field and they say these lies are being exported to other countries, making it difficult to preach the real gospel!

it is an "all about me" gospel, exemplified by the Osteens. Did you even bother to read the article, before posting your opinions, Rachel??
nobody is going to hell for believing God wants them to have money and a comfortable lifestyle...so calling it 'heresy' is an exaggeration...and throwing the term 'heresy' around to describe things that are fairly low on the scale of modern doctrinal error seriously cheapens the term...

meanwhile the evolution promoting biologos foundation is teaching that jesus was fallible...sabbath cults are on the rise...and so on...being distracted by alarmism over prosperity preaching takes our focus off of these -real- heresies...

calling prosperity preaching 'the biggest heresy of the twenty-first century' is like looking at the era of indulgences and the inquisition and saying the biggest heresy of the time was insisting on leaving the bible in latin...it shows a real doctrinal shortsightedness...

mohler by the way has a history of drawing attention to himself through exaggerated statements...

K

kennethcadwell

nobody is going to hell for believing God wants them to have money and a comfortable lifestyle...so calling it 'heresy' is an exaggeration...and throwing the term 'heresy' around to describe things that are fairly low on the scale of modern doctrinal error seriously cheapens the term...

meanwhile the evolution promoting biologos foundation is teaching that jesus was fallible...sabbath cults are on the rise...and so on...being distracted by alarmism over prosperity preaching takes our focus off of these -real- heresies...

calling prosperity preaching 'the biggest heresy of the twenty-first century' is like looking at the era of indulgences and the inquisition and saying the biggest heresy of the time was insisting on leaving the bible in latin...it shows a real doctrinal shortsightedness...

mohler by the way has a history of drawing attention to himself through exaggerated statements...
There is nothing wrong with having materialistic things or wealth.
The problem it that there are a lot of those who have these things, and crap all over those who don't.

That is not the way of our Lord. He says if you have, and see another without to give to them.
Our Lord Jesus said to edify others more than self. If you are living a rich life style, and are not helping out others with the money you have. Wouldn't you be edifying yourself, and not others.

Here are other examples;

Could they have bought a good 15,000 dollar car and used 30,000 dollars to help homeless, instead of buying a 45,000 dollar vehicle?

Could they have bought a nice house for 70,000 dollars and used 50,000 dollars to help the needy, instead of buying a 120,000 dollar house?

The thing is Osteen teaches that once you accept Christ then you will gain wealth here on earth. This is false, there are tons who accept Christ and still live in poverty.

The other thing is I have seen a number of videos where him and his wife have twisted scripture.

Aug 20, 2014

Heresy is simply teachings contrary to orthodox religious doctrine. And of course there are degrees of omission.
So in that sense Osteen certainly qualifies as teaching heresy in matters of the conservative doctrine that is replete in scripture.

Often Osteen, who by no means is the only prosperity doctrine proponent, can be said to draw the inspiration for his beliefs in those areas from scripture itself.
John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

That scripture would not even be in conflict with Fundamentalists, because of the promise Christ himself expressly makes. He grants requests, wishes, answers prayer, etc...

Osteen and others are simply building on that in a time of lack in American society. And this is what fills his pews. The feel good, wish granting Christ is what he and others promote.
And when he lives in a 10.5 million dollar mansion, but allegedly takes no church salary and instead lives off the royalties from his publications, he sounds like the good shepherd that walks his talk.

I do agree that when we are made in the image and likeness of the king of the universe, and we are houses of the holy for the Holy Spirit that resides within, that it would be contrary to that blessing to argue God is pleased if we strive to live in the gutter for his namesake.
The old wisdom remains constant however. It is the love of money,idolatry of money, that is the root of our evils.
And that isn't the only one. There is Biblioidolatry as well. Living by the book instead of having a personal connection with the spirit of Christ and taking our faith from the page.

God knows what he's doing. We just have to trust ourselves to receive the communication uninterrupted. Even by our ego's. Which can come into play when we condemn those who have more than we do.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
To me, the heresy is NOT about the money or the health. It is a heart issue!

The heresy is putting yourself and your wants above serving God.

The heresy is about acquiring money, instead of using it to help the poor.

"He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.” Luke 12:12-14

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’ Deut 15:11

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?" Matt. 25:34-46

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction."For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." 1 Tim 6:9-10

"And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15

"For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world." 1 John 2:16

I could post so many more verses! Not just about helping the poor, but about the purpose of being a Christian is to love God and our neighbour. Not to find sugar daddy!

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matt 6:24

So apparently, Jesus does not think you are following him if you serve money. In other words, you are NOT saved!

BIG heresy!

Aug 20, 2014
There's a website called, Ministry Watch, that tries to keep track of the charitable donations of various ministries around the country. The only thing I found related to Joel Osteen was 2011 wherein MW said JO ministries didn't give a public disclosure of charitable donations so that they could be reviewed.

Though, when JO ministries, or Lakewood church, has a 501(3)c, it is a public document able to be reviewed every tax year via the IRS. I just haven't cared to go looking as yet.

Mar 1, 2012
Its also heresy to say having money is a sin or to be rich is a sin.

There is no such thing, biblically to support marxist christianity.

Osteen is a lot less health and wealth than he is pie in the sky blind.

R

RachelBibleStudent

To me, the heresy is NOT about the money or the health. It is a heart issue!

The heresy is putting yourself and your wants above serving God.

The heresy is about acquiring money, instead of using it to help the poor.

"He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.” Luke 12:12-14

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’ Deut 15:11

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?" Matt. 25:34-46

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction."For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." 1 Tim 6:9-10

"And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15

"For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world." 1 John 2:16

I could post so many more verses! Not just about helping the poor, but about the purpose of being a Christian is to love God and our neighbour. Not to find sugar daddy!

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matt 6:24

So apparently, Jesus does not think you are following him if you serve money. In other words, you are NOT saved!

BIG heresy!
this is a distortion of what prosperity preachers teach...they do not preach that you should serve money...they preach that you should serve God and that as a result God will bless you with money...

again i don't agree with this teaching...but this is not something that anyone goes to hell for...

skipp

Mar 6, 2014
Just think about how harmful this is to the sick and poor in these churches. A woman with cerebral palsy who attends one of these churches was talking about being made to feel like a second class Christian because she had not been healed. The other members of the church sneered at her and doubted her salvation. I've heard another woman discuss the crippling guilt she felt over not being rich. It's not that she wanted to be rich because she coveted money, but that her standing with God was determined by how much money she had. In her church not being well to do meant that you don't have enough faith and that you may not even be truly saved. It's incredibly heartbreaking to hear cases like this. The wealthy and healthy are fawned over and viewed as super Christians while the sick and the poor are looked down upon and their salvation and faith are questioned.

Last edited:
A

AgeofKnowledge

The Olsteens do have doctrinal errors and some of them are serious. Here's CRI's take:

Part 1: The Teaching of Joel Osteen Pt. 1 - YouTube
Part 2: The Teaching of Joel Osteen Pt. 2: Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, and the Bible - YouTube

I personally think theological ignorance is a large part of Olsteen's problem as he never graduated from the college he attended (e.g. Oral Roberts University) much less attended seminary and graduated with a divinity degree. Joel is academically and theologically unqualified to hold the position of senior pastor that he holds. To put it bluntly: he's a Bible school dropout, in other words.

The other part of his problem, in my opinion, is that he displays a measure of denial and wishful thinking when solid orthodox Christian theologians do take the time to correct his theological misunderstanding.

That said, I like the Olsteens as people. I don't believe they're exercising denial from passive/aggressive rebellion or ego. My opinion based on everything I've heard from them and read, qualified and normalized, is that they are moral, honest, and socialized Christians who deeply believe in what they are doing.

But, Joel is theologically unqualified for the position of senior pastor and his dismissal of orthodox Christian theologian's scholarly correction is a continuing problem for the assembly he pastors.

That said, I don't even view the fact he's unqualified for senior pastor as a material problem because it can certainly be resolved. In fact, there are a great many preachers, pastors, and evangelists throughout the history of Christendom that God called to ministry who obtained the necessary competency and credentials "on the job" so to speak.

But the second issue (being unwilling to take correction from orthodox Christian theological scholars) is the real problem with respect to Joel Olsteen. He displays negative volition toward taking correction from orthodox Christian scholars.

Nevertheless, many people are being added to God's kingdom through the ministry he leads anyways making the Olsteen's ministry truly a mixed blessing.

I'm going to step out on a limb and say the good presently outweighs the bad with respect to the Olsteens and their ministry which is bringing people into God's kingdom and setting them on the narrow path despite Joel's ongoing and sometimes serious doctrinal problems which fortunately are not enough to classify him as a heretic.

But he is theologically ignorant to a material degree, academically unqualified for the position he holds as senior pastor, and to the best of my knowledge not under the authority and discipleship of a world class orthodox Christian scholar like Craig, Geisler, etc...

So while he may mistakenly think Mormons are Christians he himself is not a Joseph Smith if you know what I mean... lol.

I just wish he'd discern that he needs to take the next step and come under the authority and accountability of a world class orthodox Christian theological scholar like Craig, Geisler, etc...

THEN, it would be ALL good.

A

AgeofKnowledge

I agree that is what they teach. You are correct.

However, it's a disingenuous fundraising tactic that some preachers and evangelists use to increase their own wealth. They figured out that if they tell people God will make them rich if they give them all their money, offerings dramatically increased.

Unfortunately, the result has been a lot of financially wealthy preachers and evangelists but a trail of broken people who lost everything up to and including even their faith in God after giving it all away and discovering that God didn't make them financially wealthy afterwards but rather they ended in bankruptcy court.

I've seen reply letters back to the poor souls that fell into the trap of the prosperity gospel when they wrote the preachers and evangelists that had lied to them and told them of their enormous suffering as a result of giving away all their money to them. They were told to "have more faith."

It seems to me that the preachers and evangelists that conned these naive people could have taken their own advice and had enough faith to NOT hypocritically tell everyone they'll become financially rich if they give them all their money.

Most Christians don't realize how new this teaching is. Sure, you can follow threads all the way back to the 1800s but it wasn't until the 1960's that the relatively few prosperity gospel teachers in existence embraced televangelism converting preachers and evangelists around the world with their false teaching which brought in enormous quantities from the "sheepoles" to dominate religious programming and push out most of the genuine gifted Christian teachers from the airwaves.

It was Oral Roberts who led the way using his "seed faith" theology in which you're supposed to give him money to plant seed in God's kingdom and in return God will make you a millionaire/multi-millionaire. Now keep in mind, this is a man who asserted with a straight face that a 900-foot angry Jesus was marching down to execute him if everyone didn't give millions of dollars: BeyondChron | He Talked to a 900-Foot Jesus - BeyondChron

^ You better pay up Oral Roberts or I'm going to kill you. <-- That's the Jesus Oral Roberts was wrongly teaching existed.

Oral doesn't know much about the real Jesus apparently. The real Jesus was the exact opposite. He came as a holy, loving, and sacrificial offering laying down his own life for us without any respect shown for worldly wealth or standing.

this is a distortion of what prosperity preachers teach...they do not preach that you should serve money...they preach that you should serve God and that as a result God will bless you with money...

again i don't agree with this teaching...but this is not something that anyone goes to hell for...

Mar 1, 2012
Its not that God cannot bless you.

Its this magic formula the prosperity preachers peddle that is wrong. It is works based ( which is the fundamental problem with charismatic theologies ) divination.

You cannot coerce God into blessing you. Yes, you can place yourself in position to be blessed but blessings are solely dependent upon the will of God and God owes us nothing.

I must admit I do not associate Osteen with charismatic theologies.

A

AgeofKnowledge

There, all fixed SonInMe. You need to slow down lest you fling the baby out with the bath water. Charismatic literally means having to do with the charismata, or "gifts," of the Holy Spirit as delineated in several Pauline texts.

In a general sense anyone who is part of the body of Christ, the church, and who exercises any gift of the Spirit may be said to be charismatic and it's been an integral part of Christianity since Jesus turned water into wine.

It's this "magic" formula the prosperity preachers peddle that is wrong. It is works based.

You cannot coerce God into blessing you. Yes, you can place yourself in position to be blessed but blessings are solely dependent upon the will of God.

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
I don't understand in the Bible where it says that it is ok to have wealth etc. The Lord even said to drop everything, take nothing with you to follow HIM. Having many things weigh you down and can keep you trapped in a Babylonian system. Do you notice that the Lord even said to drop everything to men who were married, had families, and jobs? They were not true followers until the Lord invited them and they dropped everything. They discovered the path by following Him. He chose them ALONE. Many times I have been living in places, and God has said, Move and get out. Back in the day the Lord even told one person to let the dead bury the dead (after the guy told the Lord he wanted to bury his father). Also he commented on how hard it is for a rich man to get into the kingdom. Do you know that the longer you stay put, the more you will get deceived by the comforts of America? That is why the Lord told us to keep moving, pushing forward. I truly believe some people are even honoring and staying in family situations that are not of the Lord and are missing their calling because of this. Even in America, the family is an idol and most of these families were never even sanctified by God in the first place, but people are using their family to prove to God they are good people. Desire only the Lord's calling for your life, and everything else He will add. He does not specify this as money.

Last edited: