The Pit.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

richie_2uk

In John 9 Jesus, who has just referred to himself as the “light of the world” and the “light of life,” walks out of the temple in Jerusalem at the end of the Feast of Tabernacles. Outside of the temple he and his disciples see a beggar who has been blind from birth.
Blind people, during ancient times, were often reduced to living outside the city and coming in to beg for food and money. They were marginalized and ostracized. This only added great inner suffering to their already-difficult physical condition.

Jesus and his disciples stop in front of this blind beggar and begin to talk. The disciples ask, regarding the blind man, “Who sinned – this man or his parents?” They assumed, as did many people during that time, that there was some kind of cause-effect relationship between illness and sin. Imagine the blind man listening to all of this. Surely he’s heard it before. He already feels bad enough, being blind and begging to make a living.

Then Jesus says words that, even though he couldn’t see, must have filled him with hope. Jesus said, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned.” Then, Jesus heals the man. The man, instead of being a rejected thing, eventually becomes a follower and worshiper of Jesus. He is set free physically, economically (no more begging for money) and, most importantly, emotionally and spiritually.
The point I love about this story is that Jesus here rejects the theological speculation and dialogue the disciples want to engage in and says, “Forget that stuff. It’s time to do the work of God!” Which is, precisely, to do things like heal blind people and set oppressed people free.

This reminds me about “The Parable of the Pit,”

A man fell into a pit and couldn’t get himself out.

1. Subjective: Says, “I feel for you down there.”

2. Objective: Says, “It’s logical that someone would fall down into that pit.”

3. Pharisee: Says, “Only bad people fall into a pit.”

4. Confucius: Says, “If you would have listened to me you wouldn’t be in that pit.”

5. Buddha: Says, “Your pit is only a state of mind.”

6. Realist: Says, “Now that’s a pit!”

7. Scientist: Calculated the pressure necessary, pounds and square inches, to get him out of the pit.

8. Geologist: Told him to appreciate and study the rock strata in the pit.

9. Evolutionist: Says, “You will die in the pit so you can’t produce any more pit-falling offspring.”

10. Country inspector: Say, “Did you have a permit to dig that pit?”

11. Professor: Gave him a lecture on the elementary principles of the pit.

12. Self-pitying: Says, “You haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen my pit!”

13. Optimist: Says, “Things could get worse.”

14. Pessimist: Says, “Things are going to get worse.”

But Jesus saw the man in the pit, took him by the hand, and lifted him out.

May 5, 2013
I am not sure I would go as far to say that sin does not produce repercussions(curable ones? )
but I like your post. Amen!
We need to help more people out of pits.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Hallelujah Jesus.

Good post.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I've heard similar renditions usually with an ending of...

Jesus jumped into the pit and carried the man out. (picturing our salvation via His death and resurrection).

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
This is a keeper, for sure. Thanks for posting!

May 15, 2013
The pit is sometimes use for burning trash; There's a pit under the old fasion out-house where human's waste goes in, and when it's use up it use, it be buried with earth so that it will be out of plain view. Hell is dimension where a living soul will be out of the view of others and even out of the presence of God. People must understand being in God's presence is very important. His presence give us the feeling of being vitalize and which satan himself want to drain from us. He can't receive this energy because he was casted from God's presence. But he want to deceive us by not knowing where this goodness is coming from; without it, you'll be feeling miserable weeping and gnashing of teeth.

John 1:4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

Matthew 8:12
But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

John 3:15
that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

Luke 16
25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’