The Potter and The Clay

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

alehandra

"Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand." -Isaiah 64:8 (NIV)
God usually teaches by using word pictures. It is interesting how He can point out such a great wisdom from merely simple things we see daily. As we read the verse above, we may wonder what does it mean to be illustrated as a clay, while God Himself as our potter. This illustration was commmon on those days when the scripture was written, but not really common on these days. God led me to dig deeper about this word pictures "The Potter and The Clay." It has been a fascinating adventure ever since, though I may have not found all the pieces yet. Here is what I learn from the word pictures "The Potter and The Clay" :)

1. You are God's Masterpiece

A clay is a mere clay before it goes to the Potter's hands. It would be just a bulk of dirt and soils being thrown away somewhere on the street. But as it goes to the Potter's house, the Potter does not see the clay as a mere clay. He sees it as something he can made out of the worthless clay. At the beginning of human's creation, he does not see the dust as a mere dust. He saw that He can made the reflection of His image out of it. And that is you and me now.

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." -Genesis 2:7

2. God has a specific purpose for you
A potter has set in his mind of what he would make before he begins His process. Each pottery is a product of deliberate plan and meaningful purpose. No pottery is an accident. God did not simply just made you and allow you to be born to earth to simply live. Just as a glass made to accommodate water, you are made to do something according to His purpose.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." -Psalm 139:14

3. Round, round, round

A clay which has been reshaped into a ball will be thrown to the pottery wheel. Then the potter will wet his hand, turn on the wheel, and his hands will hold the dough of clay steadily. This process looks like a boring one because all we can see is the clay goes round, round, and round. Doesn't it seem like our lives? Our lives will contain of routine activity which makes us do the same thing every day and at the same time on and on. We get up in the morning, go to work, face traffic jam, has usual lunch and a view casual conversation with colleague, go home, and go to bed again. We get bored with it. We want to do something extra ordinary or may be to change the world. But we are stuck with boring daily activities. But here, right at this place, God is shaping you. God is more concern on your character rather than your achievements. Thereby, He will deal with it first before He rewards you in achieving your dreams. It has been widely known that, "It takes talent to bring you to the top, but only character will maintain you there." The greater your dreams are, the longer the 'round' season of preparation in your life. Try to look this season from God's perspective. Routine stuff should not be boring when we approach it with different attitude, the attitude of gratitude and surrender knowing that God is in control.

4. The clay must be pressed against every side to avoid cracks

There are times when the potter will press the inner side and both side of the clay. It is meant to ensure that the side will be smooth and leave uncracked after the process. Just like the clay which will feel uncomfortable while the potter is doing this, problems will make you uncomfortable inevitably. Problems in life are not coincidences. God allows it into your life not to break you down, but to strengthen you. You cannot have a strong faith without the storm of doubt. You cannot know what it means to forgive when you have no difficult person to be forgiven. Good and bad, God use it both for your advantage in the end.

5. Being abandoned, but not forgotten
Too much water in the half-made pottery will cause crack when it is being heated. To avoid this, the half-made pottery will be stored in a room tempearture for 1 day or maybe 1 week (depends on its size and shape). In this phase, you may feel like God has abandoned you. You have prayed, prayed, and prayed, but it seems like nothing happens. You wait, wait, and wait, but you start to grow weary in waiting. It is tempting to forget what God is calling you to do. It is tempting to bury the hope that your situation will ever change. But again, God is in control. This is still not the timing yet. God is never in a hurry. You are still a half-made pottery. If He throws you into the fire of furnishing now, you will break down. He may seem slow, but if you keep on trusting Him, one day you'll reap the sweets fruit of waiting in perseverance.

"At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting -it will happen!" -Habakkuk 2:3

6. Heat makes you stronger
As the right time comes, the half-made pottery will be moved to be heated on 1000 degrees of Celcius in order to give more strength to its body. There will be times when conflicts with our loved ones happen in our lives. If we respond to it rightly, it will make the relationship is getting stronger. But if we respond it to our selfish nature, it will not reach its noble purpose. Do not afraid of conflicts, but be prepared to respond it rightly. It is better to hold your tongue rather than speaking out words that you will regret.

7. All for His Glory
After enduring such a long process, now the shiny and strong pottery is ready to be displayed. As people starts to compliments the pottery, they may start also to wonder, "Who is the potter?" No one compliment the pottery for the sake of the pottery itself. Because on behind of each pottery, there is the reflection of its Potter. There is no space for the pottery to steal the Potter's glory. As the world recognizes your talents and accomplishments, let it be known to them who made you the way you are. Let all the glory goes back to Him.

8. God of a second chance
A potter will be greatly offended when his pottery being crushed and thrown away like a rubbish. It is the same thing as we treat people not so valuable. We degrade them with our words, we think ourselves higher than them, and many more. It hurts God. Because they, too, are His reflection who are precious in His sight. But even if the pottery has been crushed into pieces, that does not make all of His work a failure. A potter can make all the pieces become a bulk of raw clay and start over again from the beginning. I don't know what you've been through in your life at this point, but even if the world has crushed you into pieces, God can start over again if you give Him all the pieces. You are a new creation in His hands!

He who made us, will take care of us very well

BE BLESSING
-CILLA-

FIRE_of_ELIJAH

Feb 5, 2013
Hello young lady !!! Are you really the one who made this blog ? This level is like from the professionals. Seriously is this yours?

God bless...

May 3, 2013
I like this too: "He may seem slow, but if you keep on trusting Him, one day you'll reap the sweetest fruit of waiting in perseverance."

A

alehandra

Hai there =)

Yes of course, Gods time is perfect =), thank you brother

ecclesiastes 3 : 11
He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.

be blessing
-cilla-

G

There is something I am learning. There is a verse that says, I will harden you to difficulties. We sometimes go through very hard rough roads. But as a flower in a vase, the hardened vase by the fire keeps the flower safe within and protects it, it is like that with us, remain, gentle, within, but hard as the potters vase for he said "I will harden you." Sometimes he puts us through the fire...